MBP suddenly not booting - see photo. What are my options?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kdum8, Oct 26, 2013.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

My MacBook Pro suddenly cut out suddenly due to a kernel panic. When I rebooted I was presented with this screen (see photo). The bar progresses with the loading symbol spinning but when it reaches 100% it just cuts out and switches itself back off again! :eek:

What are my options and what should I do? I have my data on a time machine drive so it should be safe if that is still working...

Attached Files:

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hold option when booting: can you select the recovery partition?

3. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks for your advice. I tried this and managed to boot into some kind of safe mode with options to repair the disk. Tried that but it says the disk can't be repaired.

Then I tried to reinstall Mac OS but it says my disk is locked. How can I 'unlock' it?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Thanks for your advice. I tried this and managed to boot into some kind of safe mode with options to repair the disk. Tried that but it says the disk can't be repaired.
    Then I tried to reinstall Mac OS but it says my disk is locked. How can I 'unlock' it? ]]

There could be a hardware problem with the internal drive. Something that can't be fixed via software.

What you need to do is get the computer fully-booted from an _external_ drive of some sort.

If you had a "cloned backup" made with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, you could be up and running in a couple of minutes.

It's probably time to start shopping for a new [internal] hard drive.

Might be time to consider an SSD....

5. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I believe you can access a terminal on the recovery partition you are currently using right? If so, you can try what this person is doing in terminal to unlock his disk:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4150625?start=0&tstart=0

If that doesn't work, since it a scenario where the user can boot the computer like normal, maybe reformatting the drive will help? This can be done with disk utility: make sure you choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (also know as HSF+) and under options, make sure to select the GUID partition scheme.

If you can't reformat from the recovery partition either, which I'm not sure of, you'll need a USB installer of the OS your are using. To make one, you'll need another Mac that is working properly.

6. vmachiel macrumors 68000

7. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Not yet, bit because I didn't have time to try today because of work. I'll have another go and report back!