MBP TB 13" 2016: Bad battery or is coconot battery just stupid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noelsch, Dec 12, 2016.

1. noelsch macrumors member

noelsch

Hey guys,

got my MBP TB 13" on November 23rd with 256GB in standard config and notices a lack of battery.
    I tracked the battery health with coconut battery since day one and noticed that there is already a loss of around 200 mAh in 3 weeks with only 17 loadcycles. d****?

I am not sure if coconut battery is just a shi*ty unprecise program or my MBPs battery is a mess.

How is your battery health? What do you think?

Cheers

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-12 um 11.06.52.png Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-12 um 11.06.47.png Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-12 um 11.07.33.png

2. leman macrumors 604

Some fluctuations in the first few weeks are perfectly fine. You don't have any reason to worry unless the negative trend continues like this.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Don't obsess over battery 'health' — it'll only fuel paranoia and stop your enjoyment of the machine.

Due to how battery technology works, there will always be fluctuations depending on the amount of charge and batteries will always deplete naturally over time anyway. Plus you'd not likely notice any real-world battery impact with 90% health upwards, so no need for concern. :)

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Normal. No battery - none - are 100% exactly in spec. Some are slightly less, some are slightly more. And on top of that, the mechanisms by which they report their maximum charge have several % margin of error.

Bottom line is your battery is not defective.

Now, how long it lasts is something different, and will depend on not only how your computer is configured, but what kind of software is installed and in use, how bright your screen is set to, etc.

It will not last the advertised 10 hrs in every single scenario. Crank the brightness to full, run heavy-duty software and work in an area with marginal wifi signal strength (or other interference), and your battery life will drop significantly.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Coconut battery is spot on accurate. All it is doing it taking the power readings from System Report, then doing the math and showing the results in a GUI.

6. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

ditto. the numbers come from the battery controller itself.

7. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Only way to see if you got a battery that is perfoming as specified by apple is to make the same test as them. I think one is to run a video loop from itunes with a stopwatch should last around 10 hours on that

8. noelsch thread starter macrumors member

noelsch

Okay guys, thank you for your input. Now I know how to get along with these information :)
    But nevertheless, if this machine isnt performing good in battery until newyear I will exchange in store to a new one..