Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
MBP Unibody - case or no case? how to avoid sratches? do you have scratches ?

I have hairline scratch on the bottom of my MBP... no biggie I guess although I'd rather not. any solutions for this or just let it be?

Are the incase things worth it or not? I do like the feel of my MBP as it is..

Elevon

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
If you are so afraid of having your MBP exposed to scratches, simply don't use it, wrap it with bubble wrap, lock it inside a glass cupboard, and keep it in the basement. :rolleyes:

Really, you shouldn't make a 'big' deal about it, treat it as a tool =] Anything which affects the performance is a cause for concern.

Anyway, to answer your question, the Spec cases are worth a look at, due to it's popularity and positive reviews.

EDIT: Sorry about the sarcasm, I just got a bit fed up with numerous posts based upon MBP and scratches...

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I have some scratches and a few dings, no biggie.... it's what I consider
"character" :D . I'm not going to put a case or protector over it.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Do you have an object that exists in the real, physical world? If so, then it will get scratches on it if you use it! This is true of anything (leaving out ridiculously hard things like diamonds) and the only way to avoid it is to not use it or just get a case.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I do have scratches. Used to scare me a lot, but I'm not a teenager anymore... and now scratches show the character of my Macbook, and are a testament of how well-used and well-built the machine is.

It'll get scratched eventually... regardless of what you do. It's better to cope with it than to live in fear and not enjoy your Macbook to the fullest. Plus you'd be amazed at how durable it is after you get rid of that fear.

kothrush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Spink10 said:
I love my speck - black :)

I've speck as well.

Any hardshell case would help with scratches if you use MacBook pro in little rough environment

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
I'm anti-case; the MBP is beautiful so why cover it up?
I have a 2009 13" MBP & it doesn't have any scratches; I have an incase slip case & put the MBP back in that when it's not open & on

But I figure, either take care of it like me & you won't get scratches, or don't take care of it (hey, it's just a tool) & it will get scratches which you shouldn't worry about - it's part of its character, as others have said...

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I had an I case hard shell, only thing I didn't like was it was a bit on the purplish side, and the back of the bottom piece kept catching on the pivot part of my mbp. Switched to speck, it's straight up black and it doesn't catch. In fact, I got so accustomed to the clicking noise when I opened her up, I found it weird the first few times I opened her up with the speck

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I've never used a case and I don't have a scratch at all. In my experience and from what I've heard, all those cases do is trap debris.

Leave it as is.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
I've got an Incase case and it has worked great so far. All cases being pretty much equal, I would recommend them... they are pretty cheap.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have small sratches on mbp palm rest….it doesn't bother me at all. All I am concern is small or BIG dent so I bought Speck hard case!

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I require cases on all my mobile devices, but I find them very silly on laptops. It's probably got a few scratches, but I don't really care.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
My 2009 MBP has noticeable wear on the bottom of it and it does not bother me. I don't even remember the scuffs until i pick it up. It just shows how much I used it. I just received the baseline MBA 2011 for Christmas that i am in complete love with, passing it around and letting people use it. Its a tool like some of the posts said above and i hope to get the most out of it.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Naked 13" MBP for me! I remember wanting one of them Speck hard cases before, but I never got around to purchasing one. Ended up just using an Incase sleeve for transportation.

jollygoodamy

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
If you do decide to get a case, i recommend Speck. But make sure you clean the inside of the case or else dust can get inside and cause moree scratches! :D

BasilFawlty

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
It's gonna get scratches if yiu use it (it's a toolo after all, not a piece of jewelry), but I did buy a nice iNCASE soft zippers cover for mine which really works well to protect it in transprort from minor damage (not much good if I drop in off the roof though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.