mbp using swap but i still have over a gig of free ram?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jus407, Mar 21, 2008.

1. jus407 macrumors member

My laptop is showing i have over 1.1 gigs of free ram available (it says its inactive) but its using 2mb of 64mb of swap why is that how can i get it to stop using swap and use the ram (its causing the spinny wheel to pop up a lot)

2. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

i think the OSX is designed to page and swap usage when a certain percentage of ram is filled up. When I had 2GB of memory it would use the disk even though not all of my RAM was being used up, since of upgraded to 4GB i have had not a single byte page out or swap use.

3. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Is this true? Because I was thinking my hard drive was going bad and I was going to take my laptop into Apple.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You can't, and I doubt the tiny amount of swap being used has anything to do with the spinny wheel.

5. jus407 thread starter macrumors member

its because i had all of my active ram used up and all of my inactive ram wasnt being used so it was causing my laptop to use swap (which is why i think it was cauing the wheel to show up)

is there a way to force it to use the inactive ram when needed or something?

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The computer is generally better at managing its resources than the user staring at the AM pie chart. Get more memory or stop worrying about it. :^)