Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Um....because it will only run Windows and is much thicker? If you don't want a Mac, then sure, get an Acer. If you want to run OS X, I am afraid that this Acer is not the machine for you.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Why not buy the MBP and use Mac OS X?

If you're only going to use Windoze, save money and get the Acer.

The biggest thing about Apple computers is the OS. If you're not really going to use it don't get it.:)

Mus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Well, I guess primarily I was wondering why the Mac hardware was sold so much dearer for the same spec.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Well, I guess primarily I was wondering why the Mac hardware was sold so much dearer for the same spec.
A question that's asked time and again around here. The answer?... because they can I guess; Apple sold over a million laptops in the last quarter.

Mus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
...because they can.

OK, a fair enough answer.

Yes, the idea was to move over slowly to OSX but that's also a substantial investment in software plus a cinema display. Just questioning ourselves whether it's really worth it.

Jamiephofe

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
South Yorkshire
OK, a fair enough answer.

Yes, the idea was to move over slowly to OSX but that's also a substantial investment in software plus a cinema display. Just questioning ourselves whether it's really worth it.

I guess that would depend on the performance of Leopard when it's released. If Tiger is anything to go by then apparently Leopard will run fine on older machines, which sounds better than Vista which I hear is a total system resource hog. Surely that's reason enough. I guess it depends whether the programs you need run on OSX, and whether it runs them better than XP/Vista.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
Whatever you do..dont you ever buy Acer!!!
its the worst company ever..me and all my friends used ti have problems with them and their stupid builtin cameras...they are very cheap looking and feel and the buttons get stuck and faulty easily....

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
At least it's not another Dell vs Apple debates......

If you want Windows then get the Acer, I have had an Acer laptop before and there is a £500 difference for a very good reason, Acer is rubbish.

I now have a Macbook (for home) and a Macbook Pro (for work), you cannot compare the quality of the Apple to Acer, the Apple laptop is superior in every respect to hardware, software, build and features.

If you get an Acer you will get 12 months out of it then it will be a present for Oscar the Grouch, they don't last.

Wronsky

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
I agree with the above posters. Acers are very flimsy machines. My girlfriend has one and it's been a pain in the butt. The customer service is okay but nothing special.

Apples have always seemed to me to be sturdy machines and I have given my old Powerbook G4 a lot of punishment. The support has always been really good, even though they don't have the manpower to send a technician in person (Dell will sometimes do this).

Dells tend to have a good customer service. The business class models tend to feel sturdier than the consumer models. I think both models feel kinda flimsy, but you can definitely tell that the business models feel sturdier. The support with Dell (my mom, my sister, and my best friend has Dells) seems to be really good. Remember if you get one of the business class machines you'll end up paying a premium though probably not quite as much as the MBPs

Thinkpads are my favourite non-Mac, I had one from work for a while. They are butt ugly, but this doesn't bother me because they are sturdy. I never had to use the support from them, but I can't imagine it would be too bad. Again, these you will pay a premium for over an Acer or a consumer system.

So, yes you do pay a premium for the Apple brand, but you're also paying for a sturdier laptop. The better Dells and the thinkpads will cost more than the Acer but again you're paying for a bit more quality. If you just want a Windows machine I would look at one of the higher quality machines, especially if you plan on toting the machine around everywhere.

Wronsky

Blacky

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
1) slower cpu, 2ghz vs 2,2 or 2,4ghz
2) lower screen res (1280*800) means less screen real estate, more suitable for max 13" laptops if you ask me
3) it'll be much thicker than a mbp, lots of connectors, mbp doesn't have less connectivity its just hidden better, like the dvi can go to vga/svideo/composite, the line out is also a digital out etc, it even offers a firewire 800 port over the acer, ok I'il give you the fact that it has no card reader but does that really matter?

And off course the greatest advantage os x over vista is priceless.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Let me just warn you, they sell that laptop at bestbuy and after buying one and returning it, it's the ugliest laptop I've ever seen. It doesn't look so bad in the photos, but when you see it up close, you'll understand.

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Seems to have an almost identical spec and is a whopping £500 cheaper plus I don't have to buy Windows for it.

Ta

From what I can tell this machine is 43mm thick vs 25mm thick for the MPB, with the 8 cell battery weighs in at 3.17kg vs 2.45kg for what will probably be much less battery life. The Acer is also slightly wider and almost 30mm deeper. Oh, and the screen is only 1280x800 not 1440x900, the camera is 0.3 megapixel vs the higher res of the MPB, it's got a slower processor (2GHz vs 2.2 GHz - which probably accounts for most of the difference in price). And, of course, it's an Acer...

In the UK, most Macs spec for spec are either cheaper or on a par with PCs. With a Mac you get everything - battery life + weight + size + design + performance + build quality (yes, I do mean that). Combined with the switch to Intel, this probably explains why almost all the Windows developers I know have switched to the Mac. :p

PCs on the other hand have a much lower entry level.

BTW - that Acer - it doesn't exactly look a thing of beauty... my two year old has a really thick and bright orange "my first computer" that looks more stylish... :D

MacBook Jack

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
ha ha ha ha ha ha

mbp vs acer

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

"With Acers new style glossy black curved lid and sleek white interior a new era in laptop design has begun"

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
The Acer is the best selling laptop here in Thailand. They aren't bad...Except for the windows issue. I have to borrow a pals Acer now and then to run some GPS apps. I have to spend nearly an hour each time simply delousing the Acer of all the trojans and worms.
I'll run the Acer side by side my 4 year old PB and the new Acer very slow in comparison.
I'm tempted to buy an Acer just because they are cheap and I need to run windows apps. But the Acer feels cheap compared to my PB. And there simply is no comparison between OSs. Windows is pure shiete.
What pisses me off is Apple hasn't made a replacement for the 12" PB.

I'm considering buying a Lenovo thinkpad 60Xs, partitioning the drive and run OSX on one side.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Remember Apple does not bloat their installs with spyware and other crapware which Acer and those alike do which gets them more money and hence offer it cheaper.

Where as Apple gives you no crapware and equal programs then that given on windows IMO, as well as the apple designs are so much sexier :p

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Go try both of them out...

Apples are usually better engineered, with those small details that you normally don't think about when you buy a laptop. The MBP are one of the best laptops you can get for size/performace ratios The Acer is big, this may not sound like a lot right now but when carrying it around having it thin so you can carry you Laptop and some books too, thin really helps...

Next there is the trackpad. The MBP trackpad allows you to scroll left and right by using your two fingers on the pad, I don't know about the acer. But that is very handy for me. Also using a two finger click is easer for a right click then using the 2 button track pad.

The magsafe power adapter is actually very cool and I don't know how I lived without it... (well I do I had to replace 3 power adapters on my old Powerbook, because the connector has broken) but it is also real easy to plug in in a hurry or in the dark it just snaps in place.

Locations of the ports... Sometimes Laptop companies get kinda stupid on where they put their ports. You sometime need to move around the power cord to plug in a USB Device in the back or or hunt and peck until you can find your eathernet port to plug in.

Keyboard layout. I don't know about Acer but toshiba had some laptops with a Crazy Keyboard layout Tilda ~ was in a odd location so were the alt and control... This is one of the things it is really up to your determination if you like it better or not.

The display like before you should look at both of the displays and see who you like better.

Cool factor... Apples are cooler... I get random people when I am working on site stop in and say how cool my laptop is, and ask me what brand it is (They normally cant see the apple logo on it)

Flexibility... OS X + Parallels = Being able to run 99.9% of all the software that is out there... I was able to run Windows programs, Linux Programs, FreeBSD programs, Solaris x86 Programs heck I even got Plan 9 to run in Parallels... Oh yeah and Mac Programs as well. At work I often run windows in paralles on a seporate display and hook up and attach a USB keyboard and USB mouse just to Parallels so it is like having 2 computers right next to each other... It is nice.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Do NOT buy that Acer under any circumstances.

As far as it's hardware-price ratio, it's unbeatable. It's got awesome hardware for a great price.

BUT it's build quality, customer support, etc is absolutely atrocious.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007

katorga

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Never buy Acer again....

My previous personal laptop was an Acer 8104 (2Ghz Pentium M, ATI X700). I'll never buy another Acer based on my experiences....

1. Ran insanely hot 97C or higher under load, and heat radiated up through track pad. Loud-ish fan on every 3 minutes or so.

2. Power issues. I had to have the system board/power supply replaced 3 times. Memory failed once. Repair service took forever and each required multiple tries to fix the laptop.

3. LCD...uneven lighting and grainy.

4. Silver paint discolored, wore off on wrist areas.

5. Weak support, no driver updates, bad ACPI implementation that hosed Linux installs

6. Crashes more often than is comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.