MBP vs. IMac in terms of gaming, and more.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Razzz, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Razzz macrumors member

I'm in the market for a high end mbp possibly 17 inch maxed out with ssd, or an iMac pretty maxed and I'm interested in the difference in terms of gaming on both machines, i know macs arnt the best of the best for gaming but they can surly get the job done.
    In terms of screen real-estate processing power, graphics and fps what kind of difference?

Either way I'm going to wait for 2012 line ups but any recommendations from mac gamers out there?
    Is the luxury of being able to bring a laptop around worth the trade off of an iMac?
    i have a mba so i don't need it everywhere i go.
    Does iMac have options for ssd available?

Thanks, for any responses.:apple:

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

The 17" isn't that portable IMO. I'd get the iMac, it's far more powerful anyway.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iMac looks like has an option for the 6970M where as the MBP only has 6770M.

Personally, if you're choosing between a maxed out 17" MBP, I'd look at the iMac instead.

4. Razzz thread starter macrumors member

ya do the iMacs have mobile graphics as well?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, look at iMac's specs on apple.com. They use the same 6770m GPU as the MBP uses. The high end iMac has the option of 6970M, I'm not sure how much faster that is over the 6770m

6. SKTHEPREZ macrumors member

iMac all the way...

If you already have a MB Air, just go with the iMac. I have a 13" MBP and the 27" iMac. It's an awesome duo, but gaming would prob be more awesome on your iMac. Such a diff in screen size. The only thing to consider is you wont be able to play your games on the couch or in bed, but oh well, I still say iMac.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

iMacs and MBPs have mobile graphics card.
    The 6970M is significantly better than the 6770M for gaming.

http://www.barefeats.com/imac11b.html

8. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Since you already have the MB Air, I would definitely recommend the iMac. SSD options are available on all models and the high end 27" offers the 6970 as a BTO option. It will end up costing you a little more overall than the MBP probably, but you will get a significantly more powerful computer and still have a portable machine. Like someone else on here said, the 17" MBP is not very portable. There may be a few times that you will need power AND portability, but if it REALLY matters in a specific situation, the iMac is still portable ENOUGH and for all of the other times, you will be glad you got the extra power.

For comparison purposes:
    My brand new i7 maxed out MacBook pro scored a little over 10,300 on Geekbench whereas my roommate's new 21" iMac (also i7) scored 10,168. Keep in mind that the 27" model (especially the high end one with the BTO GPU option) is significantly faster than the high end 21.5" version.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

For actual, real gaming? Neither, build a desktop or get a console.

If you're sold on a Mac, the iMac will be more powerful overall, but the higher resolution it's pushing may hinder it.

10. Wafflausages, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

Wafflausages macrumors 6502

iMac for gaming, but if you're into taking a laptop on the go and gaming it definitely gets the job done. I'm able to play battlefield 3 40-60fps on most if not all maps lowest I've seen was 28fps @ 1440x900 (macbook standard res). Also, I have a 1080p monitor and with my 6750M and about 1600x900 is somewhat pushing it *still around 35-60 fps lowest is probably 25fps; overclocked* PLAYABLE!, but @1080p for me is unplayable I get dips around 20 fps and dont even wanna go further.

I'd suggest getting a 15" model w/ highres + external monitor, if you're comfortable. Since the 17" probably wouldn't perform well imo. Idk how the iMac performs but this is my share of jellybeans.

If you want to play other games (I've tried @ 1080p) LoL, Portal 2, CSS, TF2, all run flawlessly 50+ fps.

anyways heres the imac gpu
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M.43077.0.html

11. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Both make competent gaming machines. I currently have a top end 17" and it works well for gaming - WoW, SC2, BF3, etc.

If you lan with friends or like to game on the road, the mbp would work well. If it'll just be set up at home and your air will be the road warrior, get an iMac. It'll give you a better gaming experience (the screen is gorgeous) but the MBP works well and has the advantage of mobility.