MBP w/ external monitor. Wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikesjo, Mar 4, 2009.

1. mikesjo macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I'm currently using a MBP from mid 2007, C2D 2.2, 4GB RAM, 8600M GT 128MB. How taxing is it to be running a 20" or 24" LCD for the graphics card? Is it going to shorten its life span?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all! That's what it was designed to do.

3. mikesjo thread starter macrumors regular

How costly would it be to replace if it died?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To replace what?

5. mikesjo thread starter macrumors regular

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That generally involves replacing the logic board, which can be pricey. But simply running your MacBook with an external monitor isn't going to negatively affect your graphics card or its lifespan. As I said, it was designed to do that, or they wouldn't have a port for that.

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I assume you are concerned about the nvidia GPU problem. Just running an external monitor isn't enough to cause that problem. Supposedly it is related to heating and cooling cycles like sessions of video encoding followed by putting it to sleep followed by gaming etc...

Mine died in November, I had the exact same model. I had Applecare so it was covered. Apple extened the support for this problen to 2 years so your are covered for now. I sold mine once it was fixed. I just no longer felt I could rely on its longevity.

Cheers,

8. mikesjo thread starter macrumors regular

Oh geez. I don't have the apple care on mine so that means i have up to this summer for the graphics card to be covered :S.

Did you upgrade to the new MBP? So far I haven't had a problem with my MBP, it's been great and I've traveled with it to the UK and Asia.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I bought an older mbp c2d with x1600 gpu. Holding on until they offer hi-res screen on 15" model. They are $600-$800 if you look hard enough and even still show up as refurbs occasionally. They cost more from apple but they don't have the nvidia 8600 gpu. You could prbably take your chances since many users have not had a problem. After having the logic board replaced once I just didn't want it anymore.

Cheers,