MBP waiter at the end of the rope

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akadmon, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. akadmon macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #1
    I won't retell my whole story here, just briefly recap the main points. I made a pact with my college bound daughter that the latest we will wait for the updated MBP is February 26th (I know school is still 6 months away, but she's been without her own computer since summer, so yeah, another month or two waiting for the MBP update is something neither one of us relishes). After doing some research into alternatives outside of Apple, I decided that my fall back position will be Dell XPS M1330. Today I took her to a Staples store to check it out, and the silly goose said she doesn't like it! Since she doesn't want a plain old Mac Book either, I'm stuck getting her the current MBP :eek:

    Besides wanting the latest processor, the primary reason I've been waiting is the fact that the current model does not have a user replaceable hard drive, which is a problem considering the fact that the base model comes equipped with only a 120GB hd, forcing me to go the BTO route through Apple.com which a) is more expensive than buying a bigger/faster drive from a place like Newegg, and b) adds 5% sales tax to the cost of the machine.

    I was planning to buy her the low end MBP when it got updated to Penryn, but seeing that I'm likely to have to go with current Merom version, I'm leaning toward getting her the mid range model. I can get it from Amazon for $2170 with no sales tax, which is actually less than an EPP price. I figure that at worst I'll be getting a machine almost as fast at the low end Penryn MBP for $170 more. And if the changes to the new MBPs go beyond a simple processor upgrade (larger or user replaceable hd, better graphics, case redesign), I may just pay the $325.50 restocking fee, so those new features will really cost me an additional $155.50 (sorry for being so exact :))


    Before I do this (this Tuesday, assuming there is no MBP update), I have the following questions:

    1. In case the updated MBPs come out within 30 days of my order, would Amazon insist on getting a 15% restocking fee from me?
    2. When does the 30-day clock start: immediately after I place the order, when the MBP is shipped, or when I take possession of it?
    3. In the past, how soon after the introduction of new MBPs did Amazon start offering their coupons?
     
  2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

    djejrejk

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2007
    Location:
    Uhh...
    #2
    The current gen MBP is really fast.. I doubt she will notice a difference unless the case is modified (which would most likely warrant a "special event").

    Keep in mind, that Apple offers a restocking fee as well,.. however, it might be only 15 days. Im sure that Amazon would charge a restocking fee and the timer would most likely start from the time your card is charged (i.e. when the item ships).
     
  3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

    MacDann

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    Location:
    Can see the end of the Earth from here
    #3
    I very much doubt that new MBPs will have "user replaceable" hard drives, so I would scratch that idea right now.

    The current MBPs can have their drives swapped - it's a fairly simple job to do as long as you take your time and don't rush. I've swapped drives in mine twice now (7200 for a 5400, and now to a WD 320G) and it's not a big deal.

    If drive size is not a dealbreaker, pop your own in and be done with it.

    With my new 320G drive (compared to the stock 100G) I feel like I've moved into a bigger house!

    MacDann
     
  4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

    theLimit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    #4
    As I am now currently without a Mac, I really hope a MBP update does happen on the 26th. My ADC membership expires March 12th and I don't know if they would honor the price on the day I order or the day of shipment. If a MBP update happens on March 11th and I place my order at the ADC store but the machine doesn't ship for 2-3 days, I'm afraid they will decline my order. I'm afraid that if I order too soon I'll get screwed, but if I wait too long I get screwed as well.
     
  5. tomashi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #5
    restocking fee won't be worth it unless it's a total case redesign... and even then i'm not sure about that. losing $300 is silly, if you couldn't wait then you couldn't wait.

    i've heard that if you replace the hard drive yourself you lose the warranty, that;s not worth it in my opinion. when your daughter is in college and has problems all she needs to do is bring it to a genius bar, if you lose the warranty she'll need to bring it home
     
  6. skiffx macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #6
    I think if she waited this long, Id persuade her to wait a bit more until mid march by then it will be pretty obvious if apple will be releasing an update or not (or will have by that time :D). You will save 325$ on restocking fee, and if an updated version comes out $325 worth of features will be something of a pleasant addition...
     
  7. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #7
    MBP's designed with mag match, bigger touch pad, new MB style keyboard, etc are on there way. When? Well i think Apple is keen to move MBAs but then falling stocks suggest they need to push refresh soon. I expect an update any Tuesday now. I will buy when it appears I think.
     
  8. rychencop macrumors 65816

    rychencop

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    http://www.northaugusta.net/
    #8
    just buy one now! you'll never get ahead of the technology game anyway. order what you want and wait a few days and see if a new one comes out after you receive it. if it does, just return it and get the newer model if you so desire.

    i don't think the new mbp's will be that different anyway. faster cpu, newer graphics card, and larger hdd will probably be it. :D
     
  9. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #9
    Restocking fee

    After having thought some more about it, I agree that, barring a complete case redesign, the restocking fee won't be worth it. But if there is a new case, then even after including the Amazon restocking fee the new low end MBP will wind up costing me "only" $2164.50 (Apple.com EPP price will likely be $1839), i.e., I'll still wind up with $5.50 in my pocket after returning the old MBP to Amazon. Weird :D
     
  10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #10
    i compeletey misread the title of this thread

    a mbp waiter who serves um mbp's....interesting haha
     
  11. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #11
    Yes, waiting another month is my choice as well (it's hard to believe at this point that the update will take longer than this, unless Apple is working on a complete case redesign and something has gone wrong with it).

    I've been telling her to wait another month since November. You should see how sad she looks :( :) So no, this is it for us.
     
  12. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    #12
    Tell her you're buying her the computer and you want her to have a superior one.



    ........or just get the current one, it isn't a bad computer.
     
  13. skiffx macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #13
    Damn kids! :D:D:D
     
  14. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #14
    Actually, mbp waiting is a very stressful profession ;)

    And as long as we're sniping at one another, the plural of an acronym/abbreviation does not require an apostrophe, i.e., MBPs is the correct form.
     
  15. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
  16. skiffx macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #16
    Brilliant :D "It just came with a defected multitouch, sorry hun."
     
  17. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #17
    also consider if the Amazon price goes down when it comes out. You'd get some extra money because most likely they won't raise prices on current models and older models will be worth less.
     
  18. Zeos macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    #18
    Finally, some civilized chatter! :p :D
     
  19. icec0ld macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
  20. aforty macrumors 65816

    aforty

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #20
    Man I hear you on the waiting. This last month since MacWorld has been killing me.

    But the longer I wait the less likely I'm going to buy a MBP with last years technology. It just hurts waiting... :(
     
  21. clin86 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #21
    if you can wait ask her to wait.
    If not buy it at university bookstore. Most college bookstores offer great deals on the current MBPs.
    My sch is selling the 2.2 Mbp for only 1699 and the 2.4 one for 1999.
    I'm sure if she can wait till she gets to college, she can get a great deal.
     
  22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #22
    As always.
     
  23. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #23
    I'm confused in two ways:

    1) Your daughter tells you what to do

    and

    2) She needs a mbp because...?:confused:

    If this is a college computer, she should wait until the summer anyway so she can get a new iPod for free (or rather $200 off).

    She really can't share until June?

    And, why does she need a mbp? Is she a photo/video editor? What's wrong with a macbook?
     
  24. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #24
    If you read what the OP said, he mentioned his daughter didn't like the old look of the normal MB, so Pro is the way to go! XD
     
  25. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #25
    So in other words, he has to do whatever his teenager daughter wants him to do?:confused:
     

Share This Page