MBP with external 120hz monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frijec, Mar 2, 2011.

1. frijec macrumors member

I have had my mbp 2008 unibody for quite a while now, and it has always annoyed me that I could not use my Samsung 233RZ 120hz properly with it, since I only had a DVI-D Single link adapter. The reason behind this is I think that paying 100€ for a dual link adapter is a little bit over the edge.

So now I tried this product instead that claim it is a Mini display to DVI-D Dual link cable, but it still doesn't work for me.

And I even read on the apple website from users that their dual link adapter doesn't even ensure 120hz capability. Is this really true?

I don't want to discuss wether my eye can even see the difference between 60hz and 120hz, because I can. It is very noticeable.

2. frijec thread starter macrumors member

Am I really the only one in this world wanting to utilize a 120hz monitor with my macbook pro? :eek:

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Yes, because the entire world visits this forum within a 24 hour period.

4. frijec thread starter macrumors member

This place is not really the only source I have tried.

Tech forum, Apple discussion board, product comments, tech guys, local apple store, just to name a few.

I have yet to find someone that can give me a solution as to how I can use my 120hz monitor properly :(

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

According to this thread, the limitation is basically the data rate that the port is capable of sustaining, which matches up with the fact that older CRT-based monitors could easily do 120Hz or higher at lower resolutions.

Soooo... try a lower resolution, and see if that works.

6. boymature macrumors newbie

me2

ive searched alot for a solution to this aswell...

im looking to buy a 120hz external monitor, but cant see the use of it if i cant go 120hz.

7. jasmine84 macrumors member

jasmine84

I just bought a 120Hz LCD TV because it apparently shows fast motion better than 60HZ TVs... but my Mac will only connect it at 60Hz! And when I played LOTR on DVD, and Soul Surfer HD in iTunes, the video skipped every few minutes :( Advice on how to fix this??? Did I waste my money getting a 120Hz TV??

8. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

With 120Hz monitors, they accept a 60Hz input, then double it. Good luck finding a computer that outputs a refresh rate of 120Hz.

9. mouthster macrumors regular

Video cards have been outputting refresh rates above 60Hz for quite some time, how do you think CRT's worked ???

Wish I had seen this thread sooner to help the OP but my early-2008 MPB (non-unibody!) is able to drive my Viewsonic VX2268WM (very similar to the OP's samsung) at 120Hz. You can tell the difference when dragging windows.

I used the cable that was bundled with the monitor. All I had to do is change the refresh rate in System Prefs / Displays.