MBP with HDTV instead of monitor??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bsuthoff, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bsuthoff macrumors newbie

Instead of connecting my new MBP to a typical computer LDC monitor, some of the smaller HDTVs look like an interesting alternative. In addition to being a monitor, some also include HDTV tuners, speakers, etc.

Any things to be wary of? The resolutions on the 19"-23" inch HDTVs seems to be 1366 x 768, that work OK? All have HDMI but not DVI. They do have VGA, but I'd rather not use that.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HDTV Is Fine For External MBP Display

MacBook Pro comes with a DVI to VGA adapter and that signal will look perfectly well on a HDTV screen. I use one on my 40" Samsung 1920 x 1080 and it looks fine. But if you're thinking of a small HDTV instead of a Dell 24" 1920 x 1200 for $500 well then you're shooting yourself in the foot unless you need a starter HDTV at the above lower res. You can always put an EyeTV Hybrid for $149 on your MBP to watch TV on the Dell 24" natively.

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I don't see why this wouldn't work. AFAIK, HDMI is just a DVI signal with sound (OK, gross simplification, but that's the general idea).

All you'd need is one of these and you should be OK: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97886&&source=14&doy=Search

However, you should look out on certain TVs as they don't produce particuarly great pictures from computers. It needs 1:1 pixel mapping or something. Someone else will know more than I do.