MBP with OS X 10.6 freezes on boot up. Unable to use USB.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shparekh, Dec 4, 2012.

1. shparekh macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

My macbook pro is not booting. It stops at white screen with apple logo. I tried the sequence posted on apple's support website but am stalled at the step where it asks me to load from install disks. I have lost the install disks. So downloaded the SL10A432 user dvd image on a usb stick with transmac on a windows machine.

When I try to boot with this build with "c" key on startup, the MBP appears to load from usb (lights flicker on the usb stick) and I see a progress bar. After sometime, the progress bar disappears and the spinning wheel appears again.

I restarted this time with option key - and selected the usb drive. The startup manager correctly recognizes the usb stick as "MAC OS X Install DVD" I select to boot from it but then I get a popup message saying that I need to restart my computer. When I do, it stops on the same screen i.e. apple logo and spinning wheel.

I would appreciate any insights and guidance. This is my first tryst with Mac+OS X. Have been a windows guy all my life.

Thank you.
    Best regards.

2. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi ,

This may or may not help , but check this link :

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/create-os-x-mountain-lion-boot-dvd-usb-drive-liondiskmaker/

And then this one :

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

I have not done this , it sounds confusing , but it does work.

What you may have done is just "dragged" the .pkg to your flash drive , I don`t think that would work.

Check your hardware , if compatible with ML , then you should be able to download it again and follow the instructions , then boot from your USB drive.

Of course if your other computer is a Win-7 , then it might be tricky , but still doable !

Best of luck and Happy Holidays :)

Gary 

PS:

What ever U do , don`t click on "MacKeeper" !

3. shparekh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gary. But this does not help me much as I only have a windows pc now that my MacBook pro isnt booting. I actually copied the DMg file to make a bootable USB disk.

At this point all I want to do is run the diag utility to see if the disk has failed or some other hardware. Is there a way to do that from the USB drive?
    Thx.
    Sanjay.

4. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi shparekh ,

Sorry I could not help :(

I know what it`s like when a computer goes down.

Best of luck to you:)

Gary 

PS: OK guy`s lets see if anyone can help !!

5. shparekh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep! It's pretty bad. I also have made an appt. at genius bar. But reading other people's experiences I do not have a lot of hope.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

AFAIK you can not copy a DMG file onto a USB stick, you have to use Disk Utility to burn the image to a CD/DVD or use a program Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to extract the data and it will also bless the system.

Now, have you tried to boot up in safe mode, hold the Shift key while starting up.