MBP13 Mid-2010 2.4Ghz - Yellow Pixelated Discolouration on Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Terenc3, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Terenc3, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

Terenc3 macrumors member

I am with the Macbook Pro 13 Mid-2010 2.4Ghz; nVidia 320M; 8GB DDR3 Ram; and OWC 120GB Mercury SSD. Recently, I realised that there are some yellow pixelating problem whilst surfing the internet with both Chrome and Safari (See Attached).

Weird thing is, whenever that happens, just a scroll down or up will eliminate this yellow pixelating problem and everything returns to normal. No jams no nothing, just this slight discolouration.

It does not impede me from doing anything but I just find it weird unto why this will happen. Anybody faces the same issue as mine?

Attached Files:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

You have a bad logic board. Bring it in for service. Hopefully, you still have AppleCare.

3. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

Really? Oh no.. I do not have applecare anymore.. Thing is, the slightest scrolling of up or down will eliminate these yellow pixelating stuff totally.. Was thinking of doing a clean install and see what happens..

Oh plus, that happen pretty rarely like twice to thrice a day..

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

The other possibility is that you have bad RAM, since the 13" uses main memory for graphics, but if this were the case, your system/programs would be crashing pretty regularly.

Reinstalling the OS isn't going to clear up something like that. Hopefully, it won't get any worse.

5. igouroum macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, but it only happens rarely. When I sent my macbook pro 13" 320m for service, they just sent it back to me saying it was a "software issue", whatever that means!

Anywho, you aren't alone bro!

6. treichert macrumors 6502

Had that happen frequently to me on the exact same model during the beta of Lion and it disappeared near the final release. Software issue in my opinion.

7. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for your inputs..!

One more further notice is that it only happens in web browser (Chrome/Safari) and no where else. I tried running XBench with graphics and Parallels Windows 7 (3DMark06) and found no artefacts.

Guess I will just leave it as it is for now as this don't really impede me from doing anything, less getting annoyed by the yellow patches.. Hopefully some fixes come by if it really is software issues! :D

8. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I was getting this problem also on my Macbook pro 2010 2.66ghz 8Gb Ram

It started when I originally upgraded to Lion. The problems would only occur when using a browser Safari or Chrome in my case. I got fed up and went back to Snow Leopard. I believe this occurred due to installing over the Snow Leopard. Since I went back to Snow Leopard I have not had any issues.

9. jrfive0 macrumors member

another cautionary tale of why you need to always get applecare...:(

10. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

Yup. Exactly the same situation as mine. So I reckon it really is a software based issue. I wonder how can we bring this up to Apple itself?

11. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I was reading that a fresh install solves the problem. I have not tried it yet.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

13. Terenc3 thread starter macrumors member

I tried going back to SL for more than 24 hours and all seems fine.. Haven't really try putting back stock rams.. Will update here if I did.. Thank you! :D