MBPr connection to non-Thunderbolt monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Civiccool, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Civiccool macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I would like to seek some advice here please.
    I was supposed to have bought the 15" MBP retina in Dec 2013, but I went through exchanges for 4 times due to the irritating yellow tint/stains on the screen diaplay, and ended giving up totally on it. I'm thinking to try one more time now since 4 months has passed, hope things are changing for better now.
    Currently I'm on PC laptop and connects my external monitor HP ZR24W through DisplayPort (DP).
    My question is: Will the Thunderbolt on 15" MBPr (highest spec) perform the same as my current setup without degradation in color performance? I understand TB should perform the same as DP, but I have concern after I come across a thread saying:
    "Mavericks really messed up all of the system typefaces, apparently owing to the fact that Apple treats a non-Thunderbolt monitor as a television and accordingly invokes the YCbCr color space instead of RGB.*"
    As I'll be doing photo editing work using the external monitor, it's critical that monitor is displaying sRGB space. No HDMI connection please.
    So I would like to hear from someone using non-Thunderbolt monitor on a 15" MBPr using the DP/TB cable. Thanks.

2. leman macrumors 604

I didn't have any issues so far. I think the colorspace problem only manifests itself with a few selected monitors...