MBP's new (bigger) size a clue of things to come?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macagain, Dec 1, 2008.

1. macagain macrumors regular

The new MBP is .2" bigger length and width, and the screen has taken on an ugly thick border/frame. I wonder if this is in preparation for a 15.6" screen which I've started to see crop up...

That would be nice, especially if it's a 1680x1050 screen :D

When the PBG4 became the MBP, it gained a little, but that was probably caused by the cam (and didn't screen size go from 15.2 to 15.4?).

This last .2" size gain finally made the MBP "look a little too big"... like a middle aged body builder...:eek:

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

????

the border is for the iSight.

why would Apple add only .2" to a screen that would have to be custom made for Apple?

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

synth3tik's avatar says it all really...

I don't think apple got anything up their sleeve tbh.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

the border is for the isight? the previous generation had one too... hmmm

with a bit of math, you find out the 15.6" is 1.9607843% larger than 15.3" and spookily if you look at the centimetre dimensions for the width on apples site (cm are obviously more accurate than inches) are also exactly 1.961% larger. sadly, the depth doesn't hold up to this coincidence. the fact remains however that 15.3-15.6 is 2% and the new unibody has an increased hypotenuse of 2% as well.

do i think 15.6" screens are coming? yes.

do i think apple increased the size of the laptop to accommodate those screens in the future? I think it's unlikely, and my logical intuition says no. but the introduction of the unibody frame is a cost cutting effort and this could be so that they don't have to produce different sized bodies in the near future... there is a chance that that is the reason for the increased size.

but frankly though, i think it's just because that's what was needed to get everything to fit. simple answers are usually correct. but maybe not.

5. marktt macrumors newbie

Unibody & costs

It seems to me Apple has done something really quite smart and very elegant - the component count for any product is a cost - 'cut the count cut the cost' - not only that, once programed, tried and tested - which is what all unibody MB & MBP early adopters are doing on Apple's behalf - it becomes a very simple and very low cost matter to prototype, make changes and adaptions which previously would have required a considerable amount of re tooling, which is itself a costly process. Computer controlled single component body manufacture may have taken a little investment to perfect but once done, finished computer costs and further modifications become unbelievably low cost, relatively easy and very quick. If Apple wants to change the design now to fit a different standard screen or refine the elegance of its computers it is far simpler, far quicker and far cheaper than it has ever been in the past.

Naturally we will all see these development and production cost reductions reflected in the sales price won't we . . .

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nothing up their sleeve. The larger bezel is probably a result of both strengthening the glass display and matching the wider motherboard. Because black items visually fade into the background a silver bezel would be more noticeable and be visually heavier. Aside from having no bezel whatsoever, having a black bezel was a smarter decision than having a silver one.