McCain ad likens Obama to...Britney Spears & Paris Hilton??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think this one is going to backfire on McCain. It smells of desperation. And it talks down to its audience. I think very, very few people are gonna buy the Obama-Spears/Hilton comparison. Never mind that most of the other stuff in the ad is a lie, too.

But we're seeing McCain's ads go in this direction a lot lately. He's definitely gone negative. I think very soon Obama will have to, too. We all saw what happened when John Kerry didn't respond to the negative ads about him.

If Obama's smart, he won't have to make up or distort stuff about McCain. He should just use his own words against him, explaining how McCain is not being honest with the American people. Political ju-jitsu, as it were.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I do think people are going to see Obama speak just because it is the hip thing to do. I wonder how many people are actually listening to what he is saying.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh certainly. And we all know he had a c-section because he's got all kinds of STDs too.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Have you guys seen Obama dance? That's what this is really about.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I thought McCain wasn't gonna do any mud slinging ?. This ad sure smells like mud.

It will backfire.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I doubt if 'most people' are like you. Nice republican try to minimize his popularity and appeal. I suspect you confuse what Barack speaks about, with what McCain does.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't get it. shouldn't a president/presidential nominee be popular and well known? how is that a bad thing?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Thanks for the generalization,:rolleyes: I don't belong to either party. I just think Obama is riding a wave at the moment.
    Popular a president does not make. Bush was popular too. Movie stars are popular, it doesn't mean they can run a country.

It seems to me that people want the opposite of Bush, even if it isn't a better choice.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's good to see that McCain is keeping to his promise to run a campaign on the issues, and not personal attacks.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no where did i equate popular with being a good leader, did i? and bush wasn't as popular imo. but thats another topic for another day.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's some truth to this, I suspect. People are unhappy with the current administration and it's up to McCain to convince us that he's not just the direct-to-DVD sequel of Shrub's administration.

It's up to Obama to convince us that he's a change in a positive direction and not just change for change's sake. There are a lot of hard questions for both to answer. Thus far McCain get's the "epic fail" award for his last two attack ads, blaming Obama for the price of oil and comparing him to Britney Spears smacks of desperation and cluelessness.

Obama wants to 'tax electricity?' What does that even mean?

12. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

john mccain is right on this one.
    edit: not the part about energy, that's crap. but the general message of the ad is true.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Text of the ad:

He's the biggest celebrity in the world, but is he ready to lead*? With gas prices soaring, Barack Obama says no to off-shore drilling and says he’ll raise taxes on electricty. Higher taxes, more foreign oil, that’s the real Obama.

*Parts in Bold show on-screen.

Now, while shots of Spears and Hilton are interspersed with Obama's speech in Germany, the ad is actually an attack on Obama's energy policy. Except it's not because we've yet to find a way to power our homes on celebrity antics (although that would be awesome), but rather it's a confused message intended to attack Obama's strengths. But, I don't think it works. You might, but you're not exactly the most even person when it comes to Obama.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

His adds lately have just been focused on Obama (something he addressed in his latest speech) and most of them are utterly ridiculous.

Also, is 'no offshore drilling' meant to be some kind of insult? Anyone with their head screwed on doesn't want to wait 10 years for a few cents off the price of gas.

The real Obama wants more foreign oil? What a hideous lie. Barack Obama is all about ending dependency on foreign oil.

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've heard this line a thousand times. It assumes that Obama isn't a better choice.

Which is, of course, utter rubbish.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... I would have thought McCain would have access to the best of the GOP mudslingers, but this ad would seem to indicate that he's working with the GOP "B" team.

Message discipline is severely lacking among this crowd as well.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"...the implication that Obama is more interested in the high-profile events and adoring crowds that give him celebrity status than in being the kind of leader the nation can put its trust in."

My opinion of his stand on issues--energy, taxes, monetary policy--doesn't make me trust Obama as the leadership that would be helpful. I'm not convinced that McCain IS, but he's seemingly less harmful. "Less harmful" is about as good as it gets, these days.

And Obama is big on the photo-op feel-good stuff, not particularly different from other celebrities--including those of the ad. Symbolism over substance.

'Rat

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And McCain isn't? Really. Don't mistake McCain's ineptitude at the photo-op for scorn. He likes, and really need to be, in the public eye just as much as Obama does.

Was McCain meeting with the Dahli Lama really about substance? Or him showing he could meet with world leaders too?

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, of course McCain does photo-op stuff! That's what candidates do! But that's not ALL of his deal. He's at least trying to speak to issues in a somewhat rational manner, which is a lot more than you can say for the Messiah.

E.g.: ""There are things you can do individually, though, to save energy," Obama said. "Making sure your tires are properly inflated – simple thing. But we could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling – if everybody was just inflating their tires? And getting regular tune-ups? You'd actually save just as much!"

Now, that's a bunch of absolute crap. I'd exect to hear some such idiocy from a Paris Hilton, but from a presidential candidate? Are you kidding me? When that lad's common-sense IQ gets up to 50, he better sell!

Yes, indeedy-rootie-toot-toot!! The US energy policy: "Inflate your tires!"

And John Q. Public decides--as is typical in the U.S.--that more is better. If 30 psi is good, 35 is a bit better and 45 psi oughta give even more gas mileage! And he hits his brakes on wet pavement--and if you don't know the end result of that, quit driving, please.

Ptui.

'Rat

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Presumably McCain has had some sort of puncture.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm still trying to figure out how things segued into tire pressure.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm trying to figure out how to stretch the analogy in a facetious way. A McCain puncture was the best I could do :(.