McCain calls us his "fellow prisoners"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I especially like Palin's nodding in agreement.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

The video got me a chuckle, especially when everyone in the back kinda turned their head like "WTF?" :D

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good God, not Vietnam, again??

Oh, Sarah, looking good girl. :cool:

[​IMG]

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Nah...probably just checking to make sure they weren't surrounded by armed GOP apparatchiks.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to admit, I had to play the clip three times.

The first two times I was concentrating on the blond standing to McCain's left. :D

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's his daughter Megan.

She has a blog.

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I dunno, to me it looks like she's quietly going WTF?! and processing the information for a few seconds, before she looks the other way to see if the audience was going WTF?! too.

America is so strange... what the hell are all these family members doing on stage with the candidates all the time? It's disgusting. If a European politician's wife would try to get up on the stage during a speech, there'd be agents going "attention, imminent threat, crazy woman, take her out". Politics is only about the people running for office, not their significant other, their stupid kids, their mother, their faith or any of that irrelevant fluff.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Give him a break.

...poor old fella is probably going senile.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's odd isn't it. Candidates will use their families for all the political clout they can muster, yet when anyone questions the behavior of one of those family members there's indignant cries that families are off limits.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd like to see someone not christian even try to run for president of the US, they very sadly wouldn't get very far :rolleyes:

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Oddly enough that's probably the first time I've agreed with McCain.Eat,sleep,commute,work,commute,eat,sleep,commute,work,die.

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah I know... it's depressing.

In Sweden we have a party called the Christian Democrats, conservatives with a pro-life stance. It's the only party with any kind of religious association. They usually get around 5% of the votes, out of which half are tactical votes from right-wing supporters to keep them in the parliament (if you don't reach 4%, you're out of the parliament, so if the Christian Democrats were to get only 3.9%, the right-wing would be guaranteed to lose). But even if they are a Christian party, they wouldn't dream of namedropping God or Jesus in any political context. Religion is considered a strictly private matter.

I think that's what Thomas Jefferson intended when he wrote about "building a wall of separation between church and State" and that "religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship". It's a bummer that other countries are much more in compliance with his intentions than America is...

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I just knew somebody was gonna tell me something creepy like that. :p

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Though I'm assuming he was attempting to refer to the economy, how is he "A Fellow Prisoner"? :confused:
    Isn't he the guy who couldn't even remember how many houses he has? ;)
    Given his financial insulation, he has no idea what the rest of the country is really feeling. :rolleyes:

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

No, he's old and he got confused. Simple as that.

Trying to spin this one is like trying to spin his "fundamentals of the economy are strong" into a commentary on the strength of American workers. I still can't belief Obama/Biden let that one slide at the debates.

18. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Let's call him even with Obama for the latter's "53 states" comment. :p

For the record, I'm an Obama supporter.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

come on guys, you all know what he meant.

Can someone fetch that video where mccain says "Ive always aspired to be a dictator"? please and thank you

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just like we were all supposed to know what Arnold meant when he said we should 'close our borders' instead of 'secure our borders'. Two totally different things, that you really can't not join together to make it mean the same thing.

Someone going for such a huge position like President of an entire country should be able to say what he means and mean what he says without making such a gaffe.

And everyone was worried about Biden.. :rolleyes:

For the record, I'm undecided.

BL.

21. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Checkout her blog. I think there are more non-white folks in it than there was at the RNC! :p

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

apparantly my "mccain wants to be a dictator and us his prisoners" has failed miserably.

Someone running for such a huge position SHOULD be able to say what he means relatively easily, but to his credit i see how he could get confused. Its hard to keep track of your positions when they change almost hourly.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

+1

Why do I get the feeling that another Enlightenment era is coming (or is needed)?

But then again, judging the mental capacity of and lack of testicular fortitude in our American people, I doubt it will happen... But I can still hope.

BL.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wasn't it 57? In either case, I agree. All politicians make mistakes - it's inevitable when speaking publicly as often as they do.

They've all done it.