McCain camp calls Fey's Palin portrayal ‘sexist’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Sep 17, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I guess they have nothing better to do.:rolleyes:

LINK

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From the OP's link:
    Sexist? Really? That's the best card they could play? I don't even see how that's possible when everyone involved in the gag (two female comedians satirizing two female politicians) are female. Unless, of course, the McCain camp is implying that Hillary is really a man.:eek:

Lethal

3. Motley macrumors 6502

Why not, he said the same thing about Janet Reno to a bunch of supporters. You know the "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her dad!"

That McCain, so honorable!

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sexism is choosing your VP based on his/her genitalia and not on his/her qualifications.

5. Queso macrumors G4

And the constant playing of the sexism card completely betrays their intentions on that one...

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm at a training class right now, so I don't have my "wrapped in indignation" picture to post. ;) Maybe later.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Neither side has much to do. The entire process leading up to the election has been one big popularity contest, but at least McCain doesn't stutter when faced with a question that his speech writers didn't have time to answer. ;)

8. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

So what she's saying is that it was an accurate portrait. Nice to see some honesty from McCain's surrogates!

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I found the clip included in the link unfunny.

Plain and simple.

10. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

American humour is pretty irritating in that they're duty bound to hammer every punchline until it's dead, rather than be funny through timing and subtlety. The Daily Show is the same - Jon Stewart would be a lot funnier if his skits were half the length they are.

Still, shows like SNL are popular enough that the targets of their comedy can't pretend not to notice. Apparently Palin herself found the sketch 'pretty funny'. I would hope she'd be embarassed… I'm still not sure whether she is disingenuous or just a moron. Kind of a Bush and Cheney dilemma.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I would hope that all of the current political candidates would have enough of a sense of humor to laugh along with everyone else (well, everyone except iJohnHenry, I guess) at the SNL parodies. I don't remember any of the impersonations from years past being especially malicious or mean-spirited. IIRC, Dana Carvey used to do a really exaggerated impersonation of President Bush (the first one) and Bush liked it so much that he invited Carvey and his family to come spend the night at the White House.

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its only funny because its topical and current.
    6 months from now it will hold almost no humor, for other topical reasons...

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It all started (on SNL at least) with Chevy Chase's portrayals of Jerry Ford, which always ended with him taking a header over the lectern, and with Dan Akryod's hilarious lampoon of Jimmy Carter. I don't recall either one of them taking offense.

All of this makes McCain appear to have no sense of humor -- about himself anyway.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Right.

Well, if I read the article correctly, it was actually Carly Fiorina griping about the impersonation of Gov. Palin (don't know if they've lampooned McCain himself yet). And Palin apparently found the sketch pretty funny. Maybe Carly needs to lighten up.

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'll have to hunt down the links I read earlier today, but as a result of this Carly is in the early stages of being jettisoned.

16. jplan2008 macrumors regular

No, it's apparently not because of this, but because of her saying that neither Palin nor McCain could run a major corporation.

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/2081

The link of the SNL sketch showed a more "unfunny" part of it, I thought some parts were very funny, but definitely SNL, American humor.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/palin-hillary-open/656281/

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I guess with so many things showing she was out of touch with the McCain campaign, it's hard to keep them all straight.

As for the actual dropping of her - good thing. I haven't liked her since her HP days.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There ya go:

Attached Files:

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh really?

Care to revise your comment?

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or this:

Palin Without a Prompter
    Is it sexist to be reminded of Miss Teen South Carolina?

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But think of the possibilities -- four years of Palinisms!

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Superb point.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know if I could listen to four more years (at least) of stupidity and vacuity coming out of the mouth of our Chief Executive or his second-in-command, thank you very much. I want someone who can express intelligent thoughts.

It's funny, but after reading this topic earlier today, I thought about one of the biggest differences between many of the Republican candidates who run for president, and a lot of the Democratic ones: intelligence.

Look at Reagan. Hated to read, hated to do any homework on a subject. George W. Bush is much the same, little more than a frat boy who made good. McCain can't use a computer. Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin both suffer from that deer-in-the-headlights look.

That's a pretty lightweight bunch to be putting up against Bill Clinton (an avid reader and studier), Al Gore (Nobel prize winner), Jimmy Carter (ditto), John Kerry, Barack Obama, et. al.

We do loves our dummies in this country.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing is, when Obama mentioned that he doesn't look like other US presidents, we had a parade of righties declaring that the Obama campaign had "played the race card".

Doesn't this mean that the McCain campaign has played the sex card? And why so little outrage? Is it more acceptable to play the sex card than the race card?