McCain can't admit he made an error about Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 31, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting, huh?

Now, I would've been inclined to just say McCain screwed up and be done with it. It happens. But what I can't give a pass to is his refusal to admit he made a mistake.

Even worse is his campaign's effort to call this "nitpicking" about "verb tenses". Saying we have done something is not the same thing as saying we are going to do it. That's not a nitpick, those are two separate and distinct things.

So here's McCain, unable to admit a simple mistake. Very Bush-like. Deny, deny, deny.

I put Hillary and her Iraq war vote and her Bosnia story in the same category.

You know who did admit a mistake??

I don't know about you folks, but the man I want in the Oval Office is one who knows when he is wrong and admits it.

It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. -- FDR

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its time to remove most the republican party after what they have given America the past 8 years. Remove em all from Congress and the spinning Whitehouse.

Any Party that worships the $$$ while at the same time pretending to be a bunch of "christians" should be eliminated as much as any party that worships the state like the communists do. Its time for another revolution by the people. Its the only we are going to take back this country from the rich & powerful.

We dont need 1 more day of this administrations policy of deciept and lies for the corporations. McCain is just more Bush.

3. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Maybe he didn't mean the start of the surge but the peak of the surge.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You seriously think the Democratic party is really any better? They are both hosed.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you're going to split hairs over forced labor camps versus death camps, you should know better than to try this tactic. The start of the surge and the peak of the surge are obviously very different, just as a forced labor camp is very different from a death camp. Right?

6. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Yes, now that I think about it, this probably was the same kind of subconscious exaggeration Obama performed.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Assuming you are correct, where does that leave us? Both presidential candidates are revealed to have performed subconscious exaggeration, so what do we base our decisions on? If you assume neither candidate has an advantage on the matter, then you must decide between the two of them based on other factors. These gaffes thus would have no bearing on your decision.

Of course, Obama has never claimed to be an expert on WWII forced labor camps the way McCain has claimed to be a foreign policy heavy-hitter...

8. aLoC macrumors 6502a

In one sense they are automatic actions so they don't reflect morally on the candidate. In another sense if the person was disciplined enough in their thinking they wouldn't have let themselves get programmed that way in the first place, so that is a moral failing, potentially worthy of poll punishment. But yes, if all candidates have the same problem it can hardly be a point of distinction.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How does this rate against Hillary's about-face, for an agreement she willingly signed, at the time? ;)

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

At the moment they are only slightly better buts its all we have. Make partys illegal would be a good first step then remove the lobbys from washington then perhaps we can get back to doing the PEOPLES work not the MULTINATIONAL Corporations work.

We need a govt for the people and the republicans are clearly against that.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, he was wrong. Again. And worse, again, rather than just admit he misspoke, even reiterating, he instead criticized those who attempted to correct him, and when called on a major gaffe, claimed it was nitpicking. Obama admitted he misspoke on a minor issue. Big difference.

In An Iraq-Related Hole, McCain Keeps On Digging
    Obama On McCain's Iraq Gaffe: "Anyone Running For Commander-In-Chief Should Know Better"
    Troop Numbers Flap is 'Nitpicking,' Say McCain Advisers

And as noted, we aren't currently fighting Nazis, nor does Obama claim to be an expert in them, unlike with McCain claiming to be an expert, and AGAIN screwing something up he should know.

McCain knows nothing about economy and has crooked lobbyist as advisor - and Americans trust that
    McCain takes the lead — by not showing up for work

DHM used to be a Republican, and actually voted for Bush.

Can't say I blame him.

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Obama got the name of a concentration camp wrong. Big friggin' deal. There is no exaggeration in that. Everything else in the story is correct. There is no story here.

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I agree with you up to the republicans are clearly...

Dem's may say they're for the people but in actuality, they're the same. Lobbyists just target Rep's? They go after who'll ever take the money and return the favor and don't care if there's a D or R attached to their name.

When I first could vote in the mid 70's I started as a super liberal Independent, then after a few years switched to Democrat, then went Independent again (post-Carter) then Republican, now back to Independent.

I have no faith in Govt. - period. Even a Pres. still has to deal with Congress so you can have the most forward thinking guy in there as possible but with a Congress still beholden to lobbyists, we still can't win. Money makes the world go around.

As a small business owner looking at retirement in a few years, I want what's best for me. Taxes are out of control for a small business as are regulations and unfair business practices by big companies w. lobbyists. I'm getting squeezed from all angles.
    I also provide full company paid medical and dental insurance to my employees. Think I'd get a break? I can't even get good premiums because we employ under 100 - super screw. Georgy boy touted his small businesses should get same healthcare premiums as govt. BS when running. We got f-ed up cafeteria, health spending acct. BS after in. Clinton did no better for us when he was in office but kept talking changes were coming- Bush/Clinton were pretty much the same in that regard.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna' take it anymore!

It'll be another 'none of the above' Nader year for me. I was hoping Obama was gonna do the trick but the more I see, the more I realize he's just another politician with a better rap than most.

I couldn't care less about concentration camp, incoming fire, Shiite or any other gaffes. They're politicians and are going to say what they can for a stinking vote.

14. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I dont think McCain sees the Iraq war the same way we do. He wont admit he made a mistake because he does not believe it was mistake to invade, or to surge.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not going to say Obama is going to fix all your problems NC, I would hope he'd say the same, but I think he'll do better than McCain will with the big problems. This as a former McCain supporter back when I actually thought he was Independent. If nothing else, I don't think Obama will be worse. I can't convince you to vote for him, I barely support him myself, but I do hope you won't be voting for McCain hoping he will do any better with most of what you mentioned.