Mccain Cites Palin's Energy, Mayoral Experience, Why McCain chose Palin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kirsten928, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kirsten928 macrumors newbie

Republican John McCain said Wednesday that Sarah Palin is a solid running mate because she's "in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply" as Alaska's governor, has served as a mayor and the voters in her state have evaluated her and approved of her at the ballot box.

Striking a populist chord, he also asserted her distance from Washington is a benefit.

"This is what Americans want," McCain said. "They don't want somebody who has, who is, frankly, necessarily gone to Harvard or an Ivy League school. She probably hasn't been to a Georgetown cocktail party. But you know what, she represents everything we want to see in government and America — change and reform and ethics and taking on the special interests."

While defending Palin, McCain said Democratic nominee Barack Obama's accomplishments "are very meager."

McCain also told ABC News, in an interview setting up his speech Thursday to accept the GOP's presidential nomination, that his running mate is capable in foreign policy matters in part because of geography.

"Alaska is right next to Russia," McCain said. "She understands that. Look, Senator Obama's never visited south of our border. I mean, please."

The comments were an effort to help define Palin in advance of her first prime-time exposure to the country — her speech later Wednesday before the Republican National Convention. They also continued McCain's effort to redefine Obama after Democrats spent their convention last week projecting positive images of their party leader.

In previewing his speech, McCain said, "I think I've got to make a case that I'm ready, that I put my country first and it's time to put aside partisan rancor and differences and work together for the country."

Nonetheless, the Arizona senator leveled a series of highly partisan charges against Obama while casting Palin in a most positive light.

"This is a very dynamic person," McCain said of Palin. "She's been the governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply. She's been a mayor."

He also cited her supervision of 24,000 state employees, about two-thirds the number of police officers in New York City, before adding, "Over time, people will compare her accomplishments with that of Senator Obama, and his are very meager."

McCain offered Palin the vice presidency on Aug. 28 during their second face-to-face meeting. In the days after the announcement, Palin revealed her 17-year-old unmarried daughter was pregnant, and documents released in Alaska showed she had retained a private attorney to represent her in an abuse-of-power case.

Nonetheless, the senator said his running mate's background had been adequately checked out — and not just by his aides.

"The people of Alaska have vetted her," said McCain. "That's why she's got an 80 percent approval rating."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_mccain_interview

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well clearly he's not on the same page with Palin, as she definitely didn't put aside 'partisan rancor', instead delivering a speech full of snide little below-the-belt jabs. :rolleyes:

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Texas produces more oil than Alaska.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This should be repeated every day until the election.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I guess that visit trip he did didn't count as traveling. xD What a moron.

EDIT:
    Crap. I quoted myself. :D

6. eji macrumors 6502

eji

They make an awfully big deal of executive experience, but W. had six years behind him -- of a state like Texas (pop. 24 million), no less, not Alaska (pop. 683,000) -- when he stumbled into the White House. And what good did it do him? Can anyone name a single positive achievement of his after eight years in power?

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not to question your point, but I will mention that Texas has one of the weakest governorships of the nation, as ascribed by it's constitution - many people perceive the Lt. Governor as having more real power.

Alaska has one of the strongest governorships. Just to let people know...carry on.

8. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Also add that McCain has JUST as little 'executive' experience as they claim Obama has.
    Why don't they just put Palin up for the top of the ticket? Well, I guess they basically are. At the rate people tend to age in office, I give McCain no more than two years before he buys the farm if he gets elected. Then we'll sure be in for a mess with a member of the Alaskan Independence Party leading our country.

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

After a marked rise in unemployment following the September 11th attacks, he created incentives for small businesses to hire more workers and reduced unemployment drastically.

(I'm not a W fan either)

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm not big on economics. What unemployment rate did W inherit and what was it's trend under him pre-9/11? What is it now?

11. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

It was about 4.6% pre 9/11. Peaked 6.3% a year and a half after September 11th (after increasing steadily since 9/11). 4.7% one year ago. It is now rising again...

I'm not saying he is God or anything (I mean, c'mon, look at our fiscal situation), but he did do an alright job dealing with the gigantic economic effects of September 11th in terms of unemployment.

12. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Thanks for the stats. I don't know how much of this was W.'s doing, as he was infamous for glibly encouraging Americans to shop their way out of the downturn, but for magnanimity's sake we'll put it down as a check in the positives column. We won't even go into the fact that post-9/11 he was really just stuck cleaning up his own mess.

Anyone else got any others?

Back to Palin, I just spotted this doozy. They're really reaching on this issue.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This just pisses me off. I can't believe how many Republicans have stated this with a straight face in front of a TV camera. Are Americans really this gullible?

By the way, McCain lives near a sewage plant and is fully qualified to talk sh**.

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

What are the chances that the Dems are going to really fight back these charges?

I am happy Obama wants to talk about positives and issues but if these issues are not blasted by the democrats, the election could go to McCain. The Dems need to respond and attack the other side.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, when you have a bunch of people chanting "drill baby drill," it's pretty evident that the party is bankrupt in basic fundamental tenets. What a disgusting show last night. Makes me glad I dropped my affiliation with the party.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's been reduced to the substance of a high school football rally when your podunk team is about to get whooped on by the State champs.

Lots of tough talk, lots of denial, and if we cheer really loudly and try not to think about how hopeless we are we just might pull off an upset!

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

To which Gov. Palin added, "That's right. I can see it from right here at my desk. Did I mention I'm a hockey mom?"

:rolleyes:

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Dems won't have to. The media is going to be all over this stuff. All Obama has to do is sit back and take the high road. At least that's how I see this playing out. The media are salivating over Palin trash.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

If the idea is to isolate comments and repeat them daily, let me offer two more:

Biden on Obama:

"...the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

Obama on the number of states in the Union:

"I have now been in 57 states; I think one left to go."

Or perhaps a better use of energy is to walk away from Rush Limbaugh/Daily Kos soundbites, and calmly look at the candidate's abilities, and where they stand on the issues.

20. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

LOL on those quotes.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Is coked-up one of them?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It would only be 49 states if Sarah Palin had her way...

23. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Isn't that where W. came from? :rolleyes:

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

In the interests of separating the two, Bush hails from Liquorvania.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Check out where Sarah Palin got her previous "executive experience":

[​IMG]

Used to be a Dairy Queen.* :p

* Okay, I made up that last part. ;)