McCain faces serious policy questions on 'The View'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Sep 12, 2008.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Who'd have thought an interview on The View would be one of the few places where McCain would be called out on his lies.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I hate that show, but I wish I'd seen that. :D I just read the article on MSNBC.com that describes even more than the clips.

Good for them. I'm sick of journalists pretending that there are two sides to lies, and the fact that these non-journalists pressed him will maybe shame the media into doing more.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Whoopi :p

Edit: Rosie probably would have walk over, yelled at him, and made him cry -- or tried to.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How sad that the toughest questions to date have come from a daytime talk show.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Media's Moment of Truth

Major media backlash. Finally, they're getting it. Took them long enough:

Gutter Politics: McCain Campaign Called Out For Half-Truths
    McCain's Ad Cites Articles That Rip Him Worse Than Obama
    And Then There Was One (older article from Friedman)
    Angry Amateurs (by Klein)
    The Anger Factor by Kurtz
    It’s Policies before Personalities
    Sources: The McCain Campaign Thinks You're Stupid
    MCCAIN: MR. STRAIGHT TALK?
    Who Can Stump McCain?
    Blizzard of Lies (by Krugman)
    Analysis: McCain's claims skirt facts, test voters
    McCain Barbs Stirring Outcry as Distortions
    McCain Issues A Challenge: ‘Nobody Can Name’ An Issue I Have Flip-Flopped On (except for anyone with a computer and a few minutes to spare)

And I love this one:

The McCain-Palin Lies and the Neil Armstrong Principle
    I'm sure we'll get cries of "liberal media", but we got that even while Obama was being slammed for every little thing and McCain was completely ignored even while saying and doing not so great things.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly.

And while I haven't seen it in years, I don't hate that show anymore. At least they're "keeping it real".

Yes, very sad when political shows just don't candidly report what is really happening. You don't need to play both sides in order to be seen as neutral.

I hope McCain also goes on Letterman. Letterman would calmly, and casually, rip McCain apart. ;)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I thought he did go on Letterman's show. He went on Leno's. Jay didn't rip him apart though.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Leno is a pathetic interviewer.

I think if the news shows aren't going to be asking relevant questions, it's going to take shows like The View, or perhaps Letterman, for me to hear the questions that should be asked, and for me to the hear the answers straight from the horses mouth. I don't want to see McCain reading a speech off a TV monitor, and I don't need to hear 20 second bits and pieces of interviews without hearing the build-up.

Maybe Letterman isn't a good choice. Hopefully Palin goes on The View as well. :p It's hard for interviewees to prepare for those shows.

Letterman can make people look bad by simply asking the right questions. By "right questions", I mean things that common sense would certainly lead you to question. Letterman is a very instinctive interviewer who simply gets his point across by asking "common sense" questions, and I think people simply understand Letterman's brand of "common sense." He also doesn't have a filter between his brain and his mouth. ;)

Do you remember this? Scott McClelland on Letterman.

McCain was on Letterman and actually announced that he was going to run for President on his show. Maybe I'm wrong about Letterman, but I think if McCain were to go on the show again, the questions would be far different, and lay-people would get a better sense of what McCain really believes in.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

McCain was on the Daily Show recently and Stewart was harder than he usually is. I'm sure Letterman would be too. Even Gibson was tough on Palin, which many of us weren't expecting after than ridiculous Dem debate. After ignoring them for so long, it's nice to see the media actually doing something, even if most of them are in the infotainment business.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The good thing about 'infotainment' shows is that lay-people watch them. People don't understand political shows, the small nuances of certain comments, the small jabs, etc. The presenters on these shows are obviously very keen on politics, and they're essentially talking amongst themselves.....to people who are also keen on politics. It's not really effective, as the message doesn't reach the people who should be listening to this.

It's good that McCain was asked some tough questions on shows seen by a large, but diverse group of people. Otherwise, people are just going to believe the lies in McCain's ads.

12. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

As always, I'm keen to know the effect on average-Joe-voter. Is this getting out? Are the lies/mistruths reaching word of mouth?

13. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I'm still amazed that anyone can take it seriously.

I imagine that the CNN anchors head off to the green room after being on air and just burst out laughing.

At least I hope they do, because if they don't, then they probably believe that they are doing genuine political reporting, in which case they are suffering from a serious collective mental illness.

This isn't an election. It's a badly produced reality television show. They might as well not bother with traditional voting and get people to pay 99c to call and vote for the winner.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The sad thing is more people would vote that way than to go out and actually vote in a booth.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It is disrespectful to ask the right wing candidate about his or her policies.

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Sky_Blue: Your sarcasm didn't veil the annoying-ness.

I don't know if the world's flat, I hadn't really thought about it. All I know is that I care about my children and how they're going to eat everyday.

(My last time even thinking about The View)

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

tou-freakin-che

18. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Leno is a joke. the guy reads his jokes like a 5 year old reads a book report. Letterman has the brain to call people out on the issues

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sky Blue's got a point. When confronted with their own lies, they cloak themselves in a blanket of indignity.

And please stop using my last name in vain. ;)

I was actually thinking much the same thing. Letterman destroyed Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. When Dave chooses to inject himself into politics, he's actually much, much better than people give him credit for.

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its not that the political shows dont ask tough questions, its that they dont demand a proper answer.

On The View, as well as the Gibson/Palin interview, they continued to ask the same question over and over and didnt accept the typical politician answer of starting to talk about the subject then redirecting to a bunch of buzz words and self gratifying dribble.

The candidates freak out when they are pressed for a REAL answer as opposed to what has been scripted for them.

McCain giggles, smiles and admits he cant answer without screwing it up, and Palin just resorts to saying something stupid.

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)