McCain giving up on Michigan...but still mulling names for Treasury Secretary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How contradictory is this?
    Huh. I wonder if he's even talked to Buffett, whose views on running the economy are pretty much diametrically opposed to those of Republicans.

And of course the bigger point is, when you're behind and conceding states to your opponent, isn't it a bit premature to talk about who's going to be in your administration? :rolleyes:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just hope he ends up pulling resources out of all states. :p

Edit: Except GA, cause some people want him there :D

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

To be fair Obama did pull out of North Dakota a little over a week ago.

4. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, I see no point for McCain in remaining too long in any given state because once you've heard one of his tepid speeches, you've heard them all.

My friends... pork barrel spending... my friends... take on the special interests... my friends... shake up Washington... my friends... tax cuts... Every now and then he throws in an incredibly lame one-liner like "you can't just talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk" and the IQ=44 crowd goes wild.

Never have I heard any politician sound so much like a broken record. Sure, they all repeat themselves but at least they try to shuffle the words around, use synonyms and inject some fresh talking points once in a while. But this guy says nothing of substance, and moreover, he keeps repeating the same empty words.

McCain is in fact so boring and unremarkable that he sucks all energy out of the actual presidential race, to the point where I've almost forgotten about Obama. Especially with all the other stuff going on. First, all eyes turned to Palin at the RNC. Then Palin with Couric (ouch). Then to Tina Fey as Palin. Then came the economic meltdown and all focus was on the house and the senate sweating over the bailout bill. And now everyone's psyched about the VP debate. Obama has become some sort of ancillary character in all of this... shouldn't he be center stage?

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

He's pulled out of several states, but none as large (in population or political importance), or as much of a battleground state. He pulled out of a couple of states that he tried to put into play, but this is really big news.

It also means that Obama can pull some resources too and put more into Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I realize that the stakes are higher in giving up MI, but he has conceded a few states. It's not a sign of defeat, just a sign of practicality.

I wonder how much of McCain's problem is that he and Palin seem to have to go everywhere together. Whether it's because he doesn't want her talking off the cuff, or he doesn't want the headlines of her rallies drawing much larger crowds than his, doesn't matter. They can only cover half as much ground traveling together, while Obama and Biden split up.

Only 33 more days, and I can get my vote in as early as the 19th of this month.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

McCain should have had a talk with Levi about pulling out... :p

North Dakota isn't a state Obama needs. Michigan is one that McCain does need. It isn't critical, but it's not one he can easily afford to give up.