McCain: I hope Castro dies soon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Open mouth, insert foot:

Let's hope this isn't an example of the kind of finesse with which McCain would handle foreign relations as president, shall we?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

He may have white hair, but he does not have a silver tongue.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure we can all imagine the apoplectic fury of the right-wing chatterers if Castro or Chavez had said they hoped Bush met Reagan soon.

I mean, they could hardly contain their blind rage when Chavez called Bush a devil. Imagine if he had wished him dead...

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Are Karl Marx and Reagan really in the same leave of thinking?

I'd put Marx above Reagan any day.

5. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Doesn't McCain claim to be a Christian? What happened to Love the sinner, hate the sin? :confused:

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That made his mouth even bigger......next time he can insert both feet at once.

Bless

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

shows how ignorant he is on the subject too. not only is it a stupid thing to say, the 'communism' that reigned over cuba (and the soviet union for that matter) were never what Marx really wanted in the first place.

and it just shows how petty, and small you are, hoping that someone dies.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Pretty easy math on this one. No diplomatic relations means an easy opportunity for some tough talk.

Outside core policy wonks who don't actually have to be won over as such, there are pretty much three major lobes of the GOP to appeal to: the rich, the religious and the bullies. McCain has the rich. He can't have the religious until Huckabee bows out. That leaves the bullies, the group who most think McCain isn't Republican enough. He's begun making calculated plays for this group. Softening his opposition to torture was one such. Openly wishing for the death of Fidel Castro is another.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I know you got peeved at me earlier for thinking you were a republican and I apologized for that but. Why would you hope McCain doesn't think that way in foreign relations? Are you expecting him to win the presidency ?

It's an honest question so sorry if it ruffles your feathers again. Sincerely .

10. stevegmu macrumors regular

Do you chide liberal extremists who call for the death of President Bush?

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've never seen anyone on this forum that could be even described as 'a liberal extremist', let alone anyone calling for anyone's death. Liberal extremist strikes me as a completely oxymoronic statement.

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I consider myself very liberal and as much as I believe certain things about Bush I would never wish death for any human being.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't know what a liberal 'extremeist' is, but i don't think anyone should be hoping for another person to die. i might have at one point in my life, but i've grown since then and i realize that someone's death solves absolutely nothing.

14. stevegmu macrumors regular

Looks like an extremist to me.

Attached Files:

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If I knew who he was, I'd chide him. Does he subscribe to this forum?

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, he's wrong to wish death upon Bush. But there is a notable difference:

One is a public figure that will more likely than not be the Republican presidential candidate.

One is not.

Now maybe you can admit that it wasn't wise for McCain to say what he did.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not a liberal one. Calling for people's deaths strikes me as a fascist and authoritarian act... the term 'liberal' is so clearly inadequate as a political term as used by many Americans; it defines very little or it defines everything you're against, I guess.

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

In America a better "label" would be "Radical" rather than "Liberal"

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Don't worry about it; it's forgotten. And yeah, your question is an honest one. I'm just saying, in case McCain should win. The way people vote in this country, you just never know. Four years ago if you'd told me Bush was gonna win a second term, I'd advised you to get your head examined. Nobody with such a horrible record could win a second term.

Right.

Perhaps I'm confusing because I'm trying to be as fair-minded as possible to all sides. I've criticized Bush, McCain, Obama and Clinton at times, in proportion to how much they appear to deserve it. As with anyone else, I'm willing to give McCain his due when he deserves it, and kick him when he deserves it too.

The Castro comment, added to his "hundred years in Iraq" statement, tells me that McCain is at best highly inept, at worst not playing with a full deck, when it comes to foreign policy. On the NYT issue, I'm withholding judgement on the affair/influence accusation until proof appears, although I acknowledge it's probably true. I am upset with him for the crack he took at the Times.

McCain's a weird duck. I've had respect for him at times (McCain-Feingold), but the amount of respect I have for him wavers all over the place because he wavers all over the place. One day you think he's doing something to promote ethics and honesty, and the next day he looks like just another conservative shyster.

FWIW, Obama isn't my "perfect" candidate, but right now he looks a damn sight better than anyone else running.

21. stevegmu macrumors regular

I don't know for sure, but I bet if he were asked, he'd proudly say he is a liberal.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I hear Thomas is a proud liberal... ;)

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

I think they like the term 'progressive'.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, that's just idle conjecture and isn't the basis for any useful discussion, to be honest.

25. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Thanks for the reply.:)

Personally I just don't trust McCain. Mainly because he's a Vietnam Veteran who was holed up for a long time ( which I respect ) . Myself being a Nam Vet makes me scared of what he might do in some weird scenario.