McCain: "I never considered myself a maverick"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Apr 5, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He has officially lost his damn mind.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/235883
    Much as the crowd ate up her every word, Palin had apparently missed the real message this electoral season in Arizona: for his three decades in Congress, McCain hadn't gone with the flow enough, at least not enough to satisfy many Arizona Republicans. Why else would his rival, former congressman J.D. Hayworth, be billing himself as "the consistent conservative"? Many of the GOP's most faithful, the kind who vote in primaries despite 115-degree heat, tired long ago of McCain the Maverick, the man who had crossed the aisle to work with Democrats on issues like immigration reform, global warming, and restricting campaign contributions. "Maverick" is a mantle McCain no longer claims; in fact, he now denies he ever was one. "I never considered myself a maverick," he told me. "I consider myself a person who serves the people of Arizona to the best of his abilities." Yet here was Palin, urging her fans four times in 15 minutes to send McCain the Maverick back to Washington.

So what the hell was this all about?

2. Dany M macrumors 6502

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Err, no, his entire presidential campaign was based on him and caribou barbie being "mavericks" and now he's saying he never considered himself as a maverick. He's a f***ing liar.

4. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

That's easy to answer. When you see ANY politician smile you understand the meaning of "Ignorance is Bliss" McCain is getting dementia and Palin? well, "Ya just can't fix STUPID...!!!" and I never did like "quitters" from any party.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If thats true thats pretty dumb. Haven't we heard McCain tell us he's the "maverick" from the start? No sense in denying it now.

He's so mavericky though!

6. Dany M macrumors 6502

Or he hates/dislike the 'name' that was given to him on the campaign trail. Those ads, posters, and other gunk to promote candidates are stupid and meaningless most of the time.

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

With all the things that liberals post herein, you have to subject them all - every last one - to a veritas meter to obtain the truth and background. In reference to this "maverick" dispute (who cares actually?) McCain is probably correct technically speaking, the liberal media are the ones that endowed the "maverick" title to McCain: in 1993, The Washington Post noted that McCain was one of five "maverick" Republicans for his work on campaign finance reform legislation. The title stuck on McCain through both his presidential campaigns and primaries. While I am sure that both McCain and Palin profited from the term in the 2008 campaign - and certainly did nothing to distance themselves from it - war hero McCain is likely correct saying, "I never considered myself a maverick," as he said. Further, his specific claim, "I consider myself a person who serves the people of Arizona to the best of his abilities," is also probably correct, technically speaking, since the Post and other liberal media originally endowed this term upon him far far earlier. However, I see this issue as liberals jumping up and down about nothing anyway; latest primary polls show McCain way above primary challenger J.D. Hayworth by at least 15 points! Again... who cares?

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

But he wore it proudly when he thought it would get him votes for president.

9. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

10. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

as well he should be... Hayworth is a "wingnut"... just one more election where you have the choice of the "lessor of 2 evils"... as it has been for too many years. With the new "Corpocracy" taking over it will be more so in the future... unless... well no.. now that's a silly idea... where the people take back their government???? they're too busy shopping and don't really care anyway.

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

McCain lied. Proof is on video. And you're trying to blame liberals. Unbelievable.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's an eye-roller. But re-invention is a part of politics. I think it's interesting that this is just another sign that reaching across the aisle continues to be anathema to conservatives. I can't wait for this trend to come to an end. It ain't no way to run a country.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He's so mavericky that he's turned the entire definition of it upside down! :p

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Do you actually read what you post? It seems way over the top and particularly vindictive today. McCain is expressing what he considers himself; i.e., "...I never considered myself a maverick..." Surely you liberals have something better to complain about? Slow news day at Huff Post?

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Except you know, he used the term to describe himself.....

16. splitpea macrumors 6502a

15 years ago McCain was awesome, and maybe even a bona fide maverick. He used to be one of the few politicians I respected because even though I often disagreed with him, he seemed to seriously consider the issues and make thoughtful choices and votes and propose interesting legislation rather than toeing the party line.

Then Bush got elected, and McCain fell into line despite Bush essentially slandering him on the campaign trail, and I lost any respect I'd had for the guy.

In '08, people wanted a change from the Bushies and neo-cons, and the old McCain could have won that election (well, maybe not with Palin, but with a decent running mate). But the McCain who campaigned in '08 had just spent 8 years as a Bush yes-man.

Yeah, he was once a maverick. Now he's just another hypocritical has-been.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's a shame that he is trying so hard to win the tea party vote that he would abandon his "maverick" reputation. He spent an entire career being independent and doing what he thought was best. It was hard not to like the man and his belief in duty to Arizona and the USA.

This embracing of the new GOP belief of obstructionism and opposition to everything the Democrats propose, even if they are what is best for his constituents (including things he supported his whole career), is sad.

I hope J.D. Hayworth runs as an independent, tea party candidate, that way Arizona conservative voters will have a chance to send a real message about which type of conservative they want in office.

(edit) If President Obama proposed McCain-Feingold tomorrow, McCain would vote against it. Why? Because he's a maverick!

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I love how inthenet is trying to spin this as liberals pushing some agenda. If anything, wouldn't liberals want a maverick willing to work across party lines in Washington?

Honestly I see this as McCain just playing his political cards in the way he thinks will get him elected.

19. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

He called himself a maverick during the campaign. Therefore, he considers himself a maverick. If he did not consider himself a maverick, he would not call himself a maverick. What part of that do you not understand?

It's ITN's MO. He will not admit when a republican is wrong, even when they are and it is clear as day.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm guessing it's the part where reality conflicts with his narrow worldview. Lot's of people seem to have trouble with that....

21. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I really sometimes think ITN has to be a liberal having fun and pretending to be a whackjob conservative, I just can't believe that someone can be that ignorant of the facts.

22. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I think he's just trying to put as much distance between him and Palin as possible, even if it makes him liar.

He does get a lot of attention. Maybe that's all he wants, even if he has to act more mavericky than McCain. ;)

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There was actually a while where I was convinced he was one of those bots that is supposed to convince others it's an actual human. I really thought he was a poster's CS project or something. :p

24. macfan881 macrumors 68020

hence the 90 percent of the time he voted alongside bush :D

25. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Watch the video that McCain approved of himself