McCain is a liar and his campaign dirty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Jul 31, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

It is difficult to quantify which campaign is the dirtiest of all time. But, McCain is making a strong bid for it. He is also a flat-out liar. Exaggerating, or otherwise embellishing a fact is one think. But, when you say things, you know are false, that is a lie.

The negative campaigning has greatly escalated over the past month. This is the man who promised to run a clean campaign and stick with the issues. Yet, no one can escape from noticing, once again his word means nothing. We have been dealing for years, with an administration which flourishes by lies and deceit. Do we really want another one?

From NBC:

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

McCain FTW...

In all honesty, what politician has ever run a "clean campaign"? And what politician has never told a lie? (Abe Lincoln does not count)

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd have to say Washington, because he never really did have to campaign.. But then again, that damn cherry tree.. :D

BL.

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

McCain a liar? Running a dirty campaign? What else is new?:D
    Please stay home during this years election. :D:p

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Does this sort of news actually filter down to the average voter in the US?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's a really good question and one I don't have an answer for. Often it seems like these sorts of disputes don't register with the average voter, and thus don't really swing any sort of public opinion. As they say, it's "inside the Beltway".

7. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

This is the typical 'denial response'. Obama is running a very clean campaign. Kerry ran a clean campaign. Gore ran a clean campaign. Ford ran a clean campaign. By today's standards, even Bush I ran a clean campaign. ANy campaign that Atwater and/or Rove worked on, has been dirty. Hell, McCain was the recipient of an extremely dirty campaign in 2000, against Bush II. Instead of learning, and taking the high-ground, he has hired the very men who orchestrated the smear campaign against him. Shows how much he learned.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

He learned that a dirty campaign can help an ex-cokehead good ol' boy defeat a war hero. Twice.

I would say he learned a lot.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I myself am curious how well McCain's negative attacks will work for him in this Election Cycle.

While it is true that his latest salvos have been orchestrated by the same people behind Bushs' successful re-election bid in 2004 - McCain is no Bush, and I think people are not going to go for it this time.

I say McCain is no Bush - in the terms that he tends to go off-script, which can wreck any consistency in a blanket smear campaign. McCain's candidacy could continue to remain unfocused.

As for people's responses - so many are feeling the pain from some very real issues, that I think they are more interested in hearing candidates positions/solutions, than why the other guy is "bad". Maybe I am wrong.

Either way, this is a dangerous position for McCain - to go on an inaccurate smear campaign - it could easily backfire.

As an aside, I enjoyed Obama's response to these McCain salvos - "Well, he sure doesn't have a lot positive to say about himself..."

I am still somewhat mystified why the Obama campaign has not been more offensive on so many issues which they have a natural advantage on...

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It'll make him look like a desperate old man. Oh, no... Wait... Being a desperate old man makes him look like that, this just makes him look like a lying desperate old man.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So much for McCain's promise to wage a respectful campaign...

12. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

If that's true, then that's very distressing.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, this kind of stuff is right from the Republican playbook (written by Karl Rove; introduction by the late Lee Atwater): keep on bombarding people with twin fears: that the opponent will raise taxes, and that he is a weaking on defense. What has McCain been doing the past two weeks? Aw....you guessed.

Obviously the GOP is heartened by the fact that McCain is only a few percentage points behind (when by all rights he should be behind by about a dozen), and they are trying to close the gap. It is clear that they are revving up the ol' lie machine...and make no mistake, the Republicans are superb liars.

They actually tried much the same thing with Kerry. I forget how many tax hikes they claimed he voted for, but I think it was over 100. They were counting things like tax cuts which Kerry voted against. To them, that's a tax increase.

And their favorite tactic is to attack their opponent's strengths. And, as I mentioned in the other thread, Obama is wildly popular; he's connecting with people in a way Republicans can't. So what do we get? Obama equated with trash celebrities like Britney Spears.

The thing that gets me is, election after election, people really do fall for this ****...not just the Bible bangers and the Kool-Aid drinkers, but the fence-sitters too. The former comprise the base that has been planning on sitting out this election; McCain is trying to get them energized to get out and vote. The latter are...well, I don't know what their problem is.

And to repeat what I said in the other thread, Obama has to go negative too. He can't keep running those same feel-good ads. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Ohio those deceptive McCain ads are on TV a lot.

Obama needs to point out the lies: "John McCain said ___________ about me. The truth is ___________. If John McCain talks to you like he thinks you're stupid, do you really want to vote for him?" (Well okay, let's put that in prettier words. But it's still the message you want to deliver.)

Obama's message of hope and change is fine, but he needs to contrast it against McCain's deceptions.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Mr. Veil, it almost seems like you think those tactics are reserved for the Republican Attack Machine and that the Democrats are all innocent in the mud slinging. Wow.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Badandy, can you provide a link to an attack ad from the Obama campaign?

16. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Yea... Let's put this guy in office (NSFW - Language):

Doesn't respect our country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Q4Z8piBhw&feature=related

Has a great mentor (He believes that the government invented the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJnkdamqzgo&feature=related

His mentor of over 20 years is a loser that teaches what is called "black liberation theology". Basically in a nutshell this is a belief that there is a "black messiah" and that blacks are the "chosen people" who will only accept a god who assists their aim of destroying the white enemy . Nice

Yea, this guy would make a great president :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

As I said before... McCain FTW!

And you guys talk about a respectful campaign. How about a respectful president? If anybody would like to see some more videos of even better stuff, let me know and I will dig them up.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

^ Oh, good. Let's have this argument again.

I swear some people just seem like sockpuppets.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Political campaigns are anything but honest and clean. They resort to smears, lies, etc. to create a picture or impression of themselves and their opponents.

Unfortunately, perceptions rule, not facts. People vote perceptions, not reality.

All I need to do, is look at news sources. Sound bytes and misleading headlines. Articles are so full of bias, and twisted "facts", the truth was never present.

We live in truly sad times, I'm afraid. :(

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

If you think all that it takes for you to respect your country is to place your hand across your chest, then no wonder your government is in the state it's in.

A disgusting attempt to smear him. You'll be telling us that he has done some real crimes to humanity like not wearing a pin badge or something similarly horrific like killing a million people.

Are these the depths to which his opposition have sunken. So untouchable to you that you have to take the words of a different person and use them against him.

I guess if he'd said things like 'I'm a war criminal, I killed innocent woman and children' and 'I hate the gooks and will hate them till the day I die' and 'It's not enough to beat the enemy, you have to humiliate them' and 'I do not believe Gay marriages should be legal' and 'Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran' and '[100 years in Iraq] would be fine with me' that he'd be your new favourite guy?

I'd love to see 'even better' stuff than that damning evidence that you've just graced us with. Maybe you've got a video where his Mother does a fart without saying excuse me, that'd be a clear indication of how much Obama wants to pollute the earth.

20. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes, this expresses my views nicely, and I will let Thomas Veil speak for himself. As usual, you are living in right-wing denial. I seem to recall, you get a great deal of your news, opinions and information (of sorts) from FOX. They are by far, the largest collection of smear commentators on TV. By now, you have probably become immune to the difference between politics, and honest politics. That is a shame. But, we have been just through this, haven't we? ;)

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think my post history shows (and if not, I'm saying it now) that I have no love for the Democrat party. In the slightest. I certainly don't view as much American media as many other posters do, but I have to admit that I have never seen nor heard attack ads as viciously aggressive or campaigns as willing to slander and vilify as those from Republicans. I wouldn't go so far as to state that it's a uniquely Republican tactic, but I do think that something about the Republican party is more likely to attract individuals who are willing to conduct campaigns in that manner. If you have any examples, though, I would be more than happy to revise my position.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Yes, the hand over heart picture. If that's your requirement for a good leader explain these?

OK, and McCain sought the endorsement of someone who talks of Hitler fulfilling God's will in the Holocaust. youtube link.

They've both had poor choices for spiritual advisors but only one of them has really been hammered by the "Liberal" media...:rolleyes:

23. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Please give an example of mud slinging by the Obama campaign. Wait, I'll make it easier -- give an example of a negative ad by the Obama campaign that doesn't boil down to either simply telling the truth or debunking a patently false claim by McCain.

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    We would have a VERY respectful president in Barack Obama, if we were only that lucky. You spend SO much time trying to pretend people someone knows or spent time with ARE in fact the SAME person, and its simply not true. Don't go calling people someone's "mentor", unless you know what you're talking about. Go read a dictionary or something. Me personally, I've spent time in the company of people I don't agree with. One of my best friends has views I disagree with sharply, but I'd attend any speech he was making, or welcome any dinner invitation he'd offer. So, concentrate on what OBAMA is actually saying, instead of this sad, sad.. repeated pretense that others are his puppet masters (especially those whose views he's distanced himself from). Moreover, stop pretending that sound bites give an accurate picture of 20 years of sermons. --I mean, unless you've attended the church for 20 years. I know some people that have attended for a long time, are white, and have very positive things to say. But, they're not that interesting for the media to report on. Stop with the distortion.

I'd agree with you on ANY clear and confirmed points you might present, if only you weren't trafficking in ignorance, innuendo and prejudice.
    Someone should put together a big list of LIES from each of the major presidential candidates. We'll miss most of them, simply because the ones used when facing ONE opponent won't work on a different opponent. McCain, has numerous lies. Here's a list of McCain's lies here. Obama has a number of lies too, but I find them debatable. A few are: "I don't take money from the oil industry", "I was a college professor", and "I'll support a fillibuster on the FISA bill". I've generally found caveats that, for me have excused Obama from being called an outright "LIAR", even if more of a technicality. McCain's distortions have hurt my head so much, I've had to ask the tv showing his surrogate, "Do... do you guys really believe that? Really?" It's disgusting. Nothing I remember Obama saying, has ever amounted to mudslinging. For me "mudslinging" means something appeals to the lowest nature of human society, and tries to elevate those feelings to the surface. He called Farraro's comments "divisive", and Clinton's Kennedy comment "unfortunate". At the end of the day, the WORST that's been said, was having an advisor called Clinton a "monster". Whoops. That was probably the worst I'd heard.

~ CB

25. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would agree that the republicans have over the past few decades ran more attack based campaigns. Which is sad, with me being a republican. Hillary did do a pretty good job of imitating the GOP in the primary.