McCain is not happy with Trump's National Security Plans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 15, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b5c4da-ab5a-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html

“With the U.S. presidential transition underway, Vladimir Putin has said in recent days that he wants to improve relations with the United States,” McCain (R-Ariz.) said in a statement released by his office.

“We should place as much faith in such statements as any other made by a former KGB agent who has plunged his country into tyranny, murdered his political opponents, invaded his neighbors, threatened America’s allies and attempted to undermine America’s elections,” he said.

The Obama administration’s last attempt at resetting relations with Russia culminated in Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and military intervention in the Middle East,” McCain said. “At the very least, the price of another ‘reset’ would be complicity in Putin and Assad’s butchery of the Syrian people.

“That is an unacceptable price for a great nation. When America has been at its greatest, it is when we have stood on the side [of] those fighting tyranny,” McCain added. “That is where we must stand again.”

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

America can't really stand on the side of "those fighting tyranny" when they put a ****ing tyrant in the Oval Office.

John McCain and the rest of our politicos need to face the facts. This "America" they like to refer to as being a beacon of "freedom" or whatever over-nationalistic buzzwords they string together is dead.

3. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, I never thought I'd see you post a positive headline about Donald Trump.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I still have a glimmer of hope that it's not too dead to revive :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    There's nothing positive about this headline. I know you're trying to be funny. However, you failed.

5. zin macrumors 6502

Nothing funny about it. A war monger isn't happy with Trump's policy of seeking common ground as opposed to conflict. Colour me surprised.

The libs hated McCain just a few years ago. Now they love him. But he's still a war monger. Hypocritical liberals strike again. I'm beginning to think American politics is undergoing yet another grand shift in terms of the parties. The Democratic Party is fast becoming the warhawk party.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You speak in full out hyperbole and generalizations. I think you should worry more about your government and less about ours personally. Your obsession with all things America is quite odd. How is your country's relationship with Russia?

7. zin macrumors 6502

Please just stop bringing up that line of reasoning. I'll discuss whatever I want to discuss. Questioning my motives for discussion for the tenth time isn't going to scare me away.

I happen to disagree with our government's position on Russia. Putin isn't a victim, but far too often people do not see the issues from the Russian perspective. The West has treated the Russians terribly over the last decade and they act surprised when they poke the bear and get a rough response? Either they're very stupid or they think we're stupid. The constant stream of Cold War-esque propaganda from the press doesn't help, either.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Dude. You lost the "war monger" card as soon as Trump floated Bolton as a potential figure in his administration.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think if the Democrats are smart, they'll find a way to start peeling sensible Republicans (an admittedly shrinking group) away from Trump's madness and incompetence. Limit the damage to the economy, the environment, and our national security.

Because Donald Trump really is threatening to "pal around with terrorists." Ones with armored divisions and nuclear weapons.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So are you on message boards speaking out against your country or mocking your fellow citizens? Or do you just do that here? I'm not trying to scare or intimidate you off. I just find your anger, mockery and emotional investment peculiar. I'm not the only one either.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe America cannot really stand on the side at all when a travesty of American government is taking shape in front of us. The transition is a bad joke. The cronies are supposed to get think tank awards from donors to make them go away gracefully, or maybe they will get ambassadorship nominations to countries who might appreciate their quirky charms. But no, Trump wants to put them in his Cabinet? These people are has beens and roundly disliked for the extreme views they've either developed since 2001 or had all along. Giuliani, Gingrich, Bolton for god's sake. And then the crocks on environment?

Sure Harry Reid's retiring so his speech about Bannon is offered with personal political impunity, and sure McCain's an elder statesman of the Senate so some will dismiss him the way some people dismissed Robert Byrd's towering condemnation of the Bush 43 admin's plan to invade Iraq. That doesn't mean what those guys have had to say is not worth a listen.

The establishment has not forgotten Trump's disrespect of the military and our intelligence services, nor disrespect for McCain's service, nor disrespect of a gold star parent even if they believe the Democrats milked that incident big time. Nor his flirting with Putin's self-serving antics during the campaign. Our military and intel are who stand on the walls so we don't have to.

Trump waves them off and says he knows more than they do. Really? Now he has trouble rounding up credible military and national security advisors to serve in his administration. Now he gets a tongue lashing from a Republican hardliner and cold warrior on the Senate floor. Who knows what Putin meant by playing into Trump's "I'll do it differently" foreign policy scenarios. What McCain means is don't forget Donald Trump was elected to be an American president. Not a dictator, even if the Donald admires them.

Mr. Trump stirred a lot of pots over the course of his unusual campaign. Not every reaction to his riffs from the stump made the opinion pages of mainstream media but that doesn't mean that opinions of him were not formed by mainstream Democrats and Republicans alike, and discussed in smaller circles. Now Mr. Trump will experience various pushback on some of his riffs, and on the ideas of some of his less mainstream hangers-on.

"Get the popcorn" is probably about right. But it might not be as much comedy as horror show.

12. zin macrumors 6502

I am certainly not angry at or mocking anybody. I'm just explaining the hypocrisy behind the anti-war liberals who are suddenly in lockstep behind neocon Republicans (and also backed a neocon for president). If you take those posts as mockery then perhaps you are one of the anti-war liberals who turned into a neocon? A thought.

13. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

And that's a good thing since insane McCain is just itching for a nuclear holocaust. The old man is way past his expiration date and should be playing bingo and watching "I Love Lucy" re-runs in the nursing home by now.

14. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Lol, I know funny, and that's funny.

Trump doesn't want another cold war with Russia, McCain is a washed up old has been, he lost, Trump won. Who cares what he says.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Wait till he gets his horse elected as a Senator.

16. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

All of the sudden McCain becomes a hero for the left.
    Damn, you are getting pretty desperate.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

There are anti-war PEOPLE in both parties. My problem with you most of the time is this lumping everyone on some "side" as if people can't be individuals. Maybe your experience is different, but I have yet to find among my "circle" people that conform to anything you and some others would label them as.

As for me - I take people and issues on an individual basis. I don't align with any party - or rather "fall in line" to any. It's not me - it's how you have come across on here. Perhaps you don't realize it.

18. zin macrumors 6502

What is your opinion on Donald Trump's proposed foreign policy?

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

A hero for the left? How so? I simply pointed out the McCain doesn't like Trump's security plans. Where was my support or condemnation?
    I think it's too early to tell and since it's not formalized, impossible to judge. But so far there is little that I have loved. Some that has been "ok." I'm reserving judgement. As no one can deny, you never know what you're actually going to get from Trump. I haven't found him too resolute on much - have you?

20. zin macrumors 6502

He has shown no desire to engage in regime change on the campaign trail and has been very consistent with his view that the 'rebels' (or 'moderates', the ones that behead children) should not be receiving weapons and money from the United States.

Obviously, you are right, nothing has been formalised yet, but I'd be extremely disappointed, even more so if I were a voter, if Donald Trump did not pursue the kind of foreign policy he has given a feel for throughout his campaign and during the debates. Time will tell...

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well his tax policy seems to be lacking based on his campaign promises. It shall be an interesting time.

22. citizenzen, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

At least we're starting on a level playing field.

You can't place any faith in what Putin says ... and you can't place any faith in what Trump says either.

Let the negotiations begin!
    And now the headlines talk about Giuliani being the lead choice for Secretary of State.

I'm torn as to which one I think is more loathsome.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

John McCain, a once honorable and respected man who I used to support. Sorry John, I lay the legitimization of the bat **** wing of the party right on your door step.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

McCain is a traitor to the military. Never liked him after he tried to cut all types of military pay.

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

McCain is a war mongerer, and a prime example of why there is a desperate need for TERM LIMITS in congress.
    His home state bore one of the worst VA scandals in history. Good job, John!