McCain & Obama on Georgian Invasion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    How do people feel the candidates have dealt with this foreign policy crisis?

At first, I thought McCain's forceful rhetoric sounded very bold and assertive. I found myself trying to decide whether he sounded like a war monger (looking to get us into a broader conflict with Russia, as he favors kicking Russia out of the G8), but then as the media marched on, I started thinking he sounded more... "experienced" in these issues, and that Obama might have a foreign policy image problem blossoming (while he's on vacation in Hawaii).

But, overtime, that wonder FEELS like its collapsed... as it seems like McCain has begun saying what Obama... and the White House... have been saying, which is that both parties needed to stand down, and that no one should be trying to assign blame.

Moreover, McCain seemed to make a number of gaffs that the media picked up. Most noteably... not being able to properly pronounce the Georgian President's name multiple times, sounding as if his speech came from Wikipedia, and ACTUALLY stating the sentence: "in the 21st century nations don't invade other nations." The word "toothless tiger" popped into my head.

Anyone have an opinion on how the candidates are handling this? --And how the mainstream media are covering these statements? Right now, Russia's sounded like its telling us to slow our roll on this issue... and I'm not sure how our candidates are contributing to the problem or helping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNSIteh7uvc

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDE0ZjA3MmQ2NzhkYzFiNTAyZTJhNDRlOTcwOTgwN2M=

~ CB

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm surprised more in the media haven't picked up on the whole "nations don't invade other nations" thing. This is tremendously hypocritical. Part of what some of us have been warning about, that the Iraq war, especially with it's failures, lowered our standing in the world and removed any moral high ground if anyone else tried to do something like this. Now here it is, and what can we do about it. We certainly can't do anything with our military, they're still busy elsewhere, and we can't even really say anything. Though, we still kinda are.

And something kinda scary from a guy who might be elected partially based on his "foreign policy experience":

McCain sees Georgian conflict as the ‘first serious crisis’ in post-Cold War era

I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong with that. :rolleyes:

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

People still seem to want ignore the fact that Russia's response wasnt a mere response.

With Democracy you have near endless debate and discussion and UN resolution after resolution before even any talk of action.

Obama's reponse seems more thought out while McCain will say whatever he is suppose to at the moment for the party, for Bush or for the corporations. Thats my Take. McCain is a Washington politician with decades of contamination from Washington and the lobby's who own Washington.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can we all imagine the collective orgasm the righty talkers would have had if Obama had said this was the first serious crisis since the Cold War ended? Good lord, Obama would have been raked over the coals (and rightly so) for such a profoundly ignorant statement.