McCain proposes a totalitarian regime for America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Aug 2, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

When I was very young, I remember watching The Diary of Ann Frank, with my Mother. I suppose I was about 10, and it greatly disturbed me. I asked he, "How come the people let this happen?" She said it happened slowly, so the people did not see it before it was too late. Seeing I was still distraught, she explained how our laws made sure this could never happen here.

My Mother passed away three years ago, and I am glad she did not have to bear witness to what is happening in this Country today. We cannot afford the luxury of sitting around, watching American Idol, and think this cannot happen here. It is happening! The next few months will determine whether we pissed away our last chance to save America.

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

It never ceases to amaze me how fantastically short-sighted McCain can be.

A circle fits in a circle hole, the end. If it doesn't, force it. It'll all work out.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If the streets of Iraq are as safe as any American city, what in the hell is our army still doing there?

And is McCain seriously proposing, as we've seen so many times in footage from Iraq, that soldiers (or even the police) go into American neighborhoods, bust open doors, terrorize citizens and seize weapons?

I like best of all the April Fools Day walk through these "safe" marketplaces while protected by a literal army of soldiers and helicopters. Is he effing kidding??

McCain's actually got the nerve to claim that Obama is the one who doesn't "get" Iraq?

If I were Barack, I'd make this into a commercial and run it from now until the election.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He didn't get the moniker "Insane McCain" for no reason. The man lost his mind a few years ago. This is a person for whom I used to have a lot of respect. It's sad what age does to the brain. I'm not being catty either. It makes me sad to see what has happened to this man. :(

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If it's age, and he's just gone senile and can't help it, it's sad. But I think he's moving to the right and doing crap like this for political reasons because he knows no moderate republican would ever win

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

McCain is completely right on this issue.

The problems with crime in cities can be solved, essentially, by doing with police what the surge did for the military: get more police out in the streets, build a relationship with the populace, gain their trust, weed out criminals, and then slowly draw down police levels as a stable and secure environment is established.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Can you provide any real life situations where such tactics have worked?

Iraq was a manufactured problem and the "solution" is yet to be found, unless of course you're a kool aid drinker.

8. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I find it incredible that an American citizen would agree to scrap the principals this Country was founded on. Have you ever heard of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? What is the matter with you? Are you willing to surrender your freedom for a false sense of security? Your posts here are straight from the Social Authoritarian Handbook. And your misguided view of the surge is laughable. What McCain and you are proposing is the American version of Gestapo tactics. This could rip this Country in two. Your life will be far less secure if that happens, not more so.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

really now, can't we tone down the vindictive nastiness when posting responds to people we don't agree with?

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If you've ever been to New York during the mid-90s then again after 2000. You'd have seen a dramatic change in scenery the city, especially in Times Square. An economic upswing combined with thousands of new policemen hired really turned NYC around. Its actually a nice place to visit now.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

NYC's turnaround is a far cry from what ham-man and mccain are proposing. Besides, Times Square in the 80s and 90s had the vibe of Dickensian London. I'm sure a lot of great stories will be written about it. Hopefully, unlike Tom Wolfe's Armageddon like "Bonfire of the Vanities", some of them will have literary value.

The current sterility that is Times Square is boring.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

More police officers doesn't equal less freedom. Surely the outcome could be positive, or devastating, depending entirely on how the extra police forces are used.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Manhattan has become a dull place. The Village is even getting ruined. There's almost nothing happening on Manhattan that's worth making the trip anymore. Brooklyn is more exciting than the island.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Dickensian? As in Charles Dickens? Oliver Twist was a good read with the slums of London, crime, and prostitution. I guess its fun to read about unless its happening to you.

So you're saying the surge worked?!?! :D :eek:

15. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I assume you are speaking to me, and believe me, this is toned down. Doesn't it bother you that people are promoting subversion of the Constitution and the freedom our Country was founded on? We have been through nearly eight years of constant assault on these very things. We have a ruling party which has castrated America as a country based on law. They do what they want, whenever they want, and thumb their nose at the Judicial and Legislative branches. But, to suggest we create a police state (and that is not an exaggeration) threatens the very existence, and survivability of our Country.

I am sorry, but I cannot just dismiss this as another 'opinion'.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- and they don't even realize that the terrorists are winning. Terrorists don't even have to do anything anymore. They can just watch us destroy ourselves. Trust me, they knew what they were doing.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sorry but when you wrap yourself in the flag and start ranting about how unamerican, or authoritarian, or gestapo other posters are......well, it's totally uncalled for.

18. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Lee, I suspect you could have greatly expanded in this if you chose to. Very few people understand this. If anyone look at what has happened to our Country, since 9/11, it is painfully obvious that our republican leaders walked into a trap, like a bunch of addle-brained schoolboys.

The Nation has never been more divided. Our core legal foundation has collapsed. Our Constitution is little more than a piece of paper. Our standing in the World community is lower than whale ****. Our national debt is strangling our economy. What the debt does not do, the cost for oil products takes care of. Our financial institutions are failing. We have created so many new enemies, and helped swell the ranks of the Islamic Jihad.

I could go on, of course. However, we can go to your (and my) bottomline. This was a very well planned strategy against us. Many Americans do not give the people of the middle-east the intellectual credit thy deserve. They are every bit our equals, not just a bunch of 'camel jockeys', traveling around the desert in caravans. Nothing could be further from the truth.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating again and again, for those who don't get it:

Oh boy do they know what they're doing.

Bush walked right into his trap, eyes wide open. We know what the economic and human losses are, but some people still don't realize what the political losses are. W keeps going around saying, "They hate us for our freedom," while taking some of that freedom away under the banner of national security. Once again, Bush does exactly what al-Qaeda wants him to.

And that's why the idea that McCain will be better on national defense than Obama is a joke. McCain defends Bush's actions. Obama, on the other hand, is a guy who reacts in reasoned and measured ways. McCain empathizes with people who've violated the Constitution. Obama will, I believe, respect it. That's why so many of us think Obama is a bigger patriot than all those flag pin wearers. To quote a famous movie, "It's not who you are underneath; it's what you do that defines you."

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

SMM, your last two posts have been quite superb. Keep up the great posting!

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ugg, what little I know from the news items about the NYC crime-reduction deal is this: Putting more cops on the streets of high crime areas reduced the crime there. Further, "little" crimes like petty vandalism were clamped down on. No more peeing on the sidewalks or in doorways, that sort of thing. That made the streets safer for Mrs. Sixpack, et al, and less offensive to tourists and commuters.

Given the weirdness of rhetoric and word usage in today's world, I'm not surprised at the use of "surge". And we already see the use of "terrorist" applied to--e.g.--somebody who threatens a witness.

I really doubt McCain envisions armed soldiers in the streets, or casual knocking down of doors in some form of witch hunt. For this latter, we already have way too many municipal SWAT teams who operate under the aegis of both political parties.

'Rat

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The "armed soldiers" are now called policemen. With the blurring of the laws for the federal military and local police activities I see no difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What blurring of the laws? I dont find myself doing police work ... and they damn sure dont do my work.

24. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Personally, I think having more policeman isn't a bad idea. I am literally afraid to stop at red lights in areas of my city. When I see a cop passing by on the other side of the road, it gives me a more complete sense of security. Whether this is a "false" sense of security or not, I couldn't care less.

In fact, I would rather be shot dead, living with a sense of safety, than live in fear. I understand if that sounds rediculous, but it's only my opinion. I don't really expect anyone else to agree :)

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's good, because we won't.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin