McCain rejects Hagee!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by atszyman, May 22, 2008.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

link

I do love this:
    or this:
    Didn't he seek out Hagee's endorsement? doesn't a quick Google search yield a bunch of hits for offensive statements?

And then there is this:
    Another pastor he sought the endorsement of. Of course we have a thread on that here.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Interesting. It's too soon to tell what effect this will have though.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

4. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

Now because the focus is moving from the Democratic race since people and the media are realizing that Clinton won't win.

I know everyone likes to bring up the 20 year relationship with Wright to make it seem worse, but weren't all of his comments after 9/11? So which is worse, seeking the endorsement of someone divisive that you don't know well but who has a history of saying such things? or having someone you had a longstanding relationship with who said something divisive 14 years after you had met him?

To me the second is less of an issue since the relationship was formed and had a long history before the inflammatory statements, whereas the first person actively sought out endorsements from divisive figures in order to curry favor with a voting demographic they were weak in.

Of course he has to do it now before the media attention turns to him so that they can turn around and try to stick Wright to Obama again and not seem like complete hypocrites because they've already rejected their conroversial pastor(s).

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Any good preacher, worth his salt, is going to step on toes.

Personal opinion, to spend the time preaching Jesus, and stay away from politics, like Jesus did.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, but did he concurrently denounce Hagee and Parsley?

Because, if I've learned anything from this primary season, it's that a simple rejection of someone's views is insufficient unless it also comes coupled with a denunciation of that person's views.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And someone else he should have avoided:

McCain Campaign General Co-Chair At Heart Of Foreclosure Crisis
    I'm reminded of those who said the gov could have done nothing to mitigate the mortgage crisis, despite all evidence to the contrary (like the Elliot Spitzer oped I posted, right before he was taken down, where he shows they did make things worse), and of those who were so eager to call guilt by association for Obama. Liebermann, now a big McCain supporter, also said awhile ago that Hagee was like Moses. Even after the Hitler comment, he repeated. Wondering why neither of these were as big in that nasty liberal MSM. Maybe the mortgage thing will do something, though now McCain says he has a plan to help the homeowners as well. First I've heard of that, and no details of course, but at least it's something I guess.

Something I think may hurt him more:

John McSame
    This after a poll taken during the Wright scandal that said Bush's connection to McCain was more of a concern than Wright's to Obama.

And unlike the thing saying Obama was the most liberal senator, this one's actually true.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Countdown: McCain’s Lobbyist Campaign Co-Chair Phil Gramm Creating More Controversy
    Why do I have a feeling if one of Obama's advisers did any of these things, it would be all over the news?