McCain: Response to Katrina 'terrible'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Apr 25, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/mccain_response_to_katrina_ter.html

Which is nice to hear, but:

And:

But:

So, he's faulting Bush and Congress (which he's still part of) because he thinks they need more help, which he hasn't done anything about himself? :confused:

Then:

Which brings up another issue, we're still not talking about Hagee, who he does have a relationship with and who's endorsement he's actually courted, refusing to actually distance himself from the Pastor (or the others he's courted, who've also said controversial things), but at least he actually said he disagreed with what he said, so that's something I guess. :rolleyes:

Not saying we should go back to guilt by association, but I still think it's a bit hypocritical that the Rev. Wright things was such a huge story, as they've been trying to do with Ayers and Farrakhan (who Obama outright rejected) but McCain's associations are perfectly fine. :confused:

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I guess McCain, like so many, hasn't compared facts with myth. Check out

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/earth/2315076.html

Rebuild the 9th Ward? For God's sake, WHY? We have enough trouble, now, with people building where they shouldn't. Oceanfronts, floodplains, California's sidehills. I sometimes think our nation motto oughta be, "I like it when Mother Nature bites me on my butt! I'm insured!"

As far as Hagee, has McCain referred to him as a mentor? Is there a twenty-year relationship? Has there been a gift of some $20,000 to his church?

'Rat

3. elcid macrumors 6502

I've lived through a Katrina style flooding. People jumped on the federal government for how they handled it but it really is the city's and state's fault.

The federal government is not designed to be first responders. They rely on local and state authorities in order to be the first to the scene. We had proportional damage, but as a community we stepped up and supported each other. FEMA came in and helped out later, but we did not gripe to the feds when things went downhill.

There is a great paper done by two professors of Social Science at University of North Dakota entitled "A Tale of Two Disasters" (Publius, Summer 2006) that outlines how Grand Forks and New Orleans handled their situations differently.

It blows my mind when people want to move back into the 9th ward. I would tell them fine, you get money to rebuild once. After that, if this happens again, which it will, you will receive no money from the U.S. government. Their are whole neighborhoods in Grand Forks that are nothing but driveways and sidewalks. It's how we handled our 9th ward.

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

And that somehow makes Hagee's relationship to McCain, who sought out his endorsement, better?

Actively courting someone you don't know who has said controversial things is better than having a longtime relationship with someone who has said some controversial things? No one you know has ever said anything that could be considered bigoted and/or unpatriotic? Should that be held against you? do you have to hold the exact same views of your family, pastor, and/or friends?

To me it says more about you when you seek the endorsements of people you don't have close relationships with, than the endorsements of people you have a history with.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Their are whole neighborhoods in Grand Forks that are nothing but driveways and sidewalks. It's how we handled our 9th ward."

Sounds about right. :)

I spent several years in an environmental program dealing with the Texas coast. One thing that chaps me about residences in some areas is the subsidized "flood plain" insurance. The taxpayer gets it in the shorts both ahead of the hurricane with the insurance subsidy, and after the hurricane with all the "disaster relief"--for residences which should never have been legally zoned in there. And then everybody's insurance premiums go up...

'Rat

6. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Which should work better for McCain than it did for Gore. In 2000 Gore tried desperately to distance himself from Clinton's moral failings but in doing so couldn't manage to effectively use the budget surpluses and decent economy to his advantage.

Bush has very few advantages so distancing himself from Bush only makes sense.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Plenty of blame to go around, but one of the issues was that FEMA actually made things worse.

More on McCain and NOLA here:

'Judge Me On My Own Record'
    As for Hagee, and the rest of them, my only point was that he has associations with the controversial as well, but it's hardly talked about, let alone all over the news. As said, he sought them out. Still not saying we should play guilt by association. Just think it's odd that we don't do the same for McCain when he goes out of his way to align himself with that same type. Especially after previously criticizing such things.