McCain seeking to postpone debates....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NT1440, Sep 24, 2008.

1. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hey guys just saw it on TV. Apparantly he wants to suspend the campaign and return to washington to work on the economic bailout plan.

Thoughts/opinions?

My 2 cents:

Great PR move on Mccains part, makes it really seem like hes trying to make a difference. However, it does make it seem to the American people that somehow he is going to play a big role in this. What about the rest of the government? Can it not function without one senator?

Personally it seems like a PR move, but it will LOOK great when he talks about it later on.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Expect the same from Obama. I have a feeling they'll both be heavily involved in this.

3. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Unfortunatly mccain called dibs first, so expect quite a few "leadership" ads to pop up.

Anyone think its a stalling tactic? Not only give him more time to brush up on his debate skills, but also less time for us to analyze the outcomes of the debates afterwards.

I really dont like how he portrays that only he can fix the economy, without him surely we wont come to a solution?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course he's stalling. I bet he tries to stall all the way to November. I'm sure he's terrified of what Palin will say too.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

All Obama has to say is that McCain already spent 26 years in Washington, had ample time and warning to forestall this crisis, and instead did nothing but champion the deregulation that led to the current financial meltdown.

Suspending your campaign so you can spend a few days in Washington is nothing but a cynical ploy and a stall tactic.
    If they move the VP debate too, I'll be pissed.

6. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

of course.

I just watched his press statement about this live. I literally yelled at the TV as I watched in horror when 9/11 and "patriotism" came up.

Unfortunatly, to those who dont follow politics at all, it is a GREAT PR move to show "leadership" and "bipartisanism". Sheeple will surely fall for it.:(

EDIT: mods. please excuse the double post, i just realized what I did (ppl arent responding too fast) but i cannot figure out how to delete this post and add it to my previous. I really love being on this site, please do not give me another infraction.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry man- I reported you! :D:D;)

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The truth shall set you free!!! And the Macrumors PRSI Gods saw that Sky Blue was wise and rained down their blessings upon him. (or her, sorry I don't know)

9. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL dont even joke lee, idk know what i would do without being able to discuss serious matters (and some fun stuff) on this site. Though i do expect it would be ALOT more HW.

Back on topic: I dont want to sound like a drama queen, and mayb its because ive been paying more attention to the world as ive grown older, but i actually feel a real sense of fear and gloom over this election. I'm afraid for what will happen to America if Mccain gets into office.

I fear for my/our future.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

So Obama shot first??

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26872907/

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What, McCain can't focus on more than one issue at a time?

How is he supposed to inspire confidence as a leader if he's publicly admitting that he can't handle two tough situations at the same time?

12. jplan2008 macrumors regular

PR and stalling, yup. Although Obama is considered to not be a strong debater, McCain has looked really out of it and lost lately. Not sure the Foreign Policy Debate would show his alleged strength on that, and he is obviously clueless about the economy. The more debates he can cross off, the better for him.

But going to Washington would mean having to be actively involved in the outcome of the legislation. I'm not sure McCain wants that, either -- it looked like he was going to vote no to protect himself, but he can't do that if he's someone who can "reach across the aisle" to get things done.

Maybe McCain's campaign figures that going to Washington would hurt both candidates equally, but help McCain for having the idea, and help him by stalling/avoiding debates.

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

"McCain suspends campaign for 'historic' crisis"
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/24/campaign.wrap/index.html

Not sure what this will achieve.
    There are plenty of people working on this already.

Sounds like a stall to me as well as a distraction from his floundering campaign...
    Also shows his lack of multitasking skills...

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

They can debate still. It's not like the debates are week long events that require the full attention of the two candidates. There are three short debates.

15. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

From what ive gathered on msnbc's channel, Obama isnt backing off and running to washington, or trying to postpone something that truly is just as important as this economic disaster: The debates.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So I guess it's just the House of Representatives that had complaints about working on Fridays?

Given that the Senators like to travel on the weekends I can't imagine there are going to be a ton of them around on Friday afternoon/evening. Why not just move the Debate to D.C. on Friday night and let Obama and McCain take a couple hours for the debate and then get back to work.

Both have been absent quite a bit, and somewhat understandably, while they run their campaigns, but to all of a sudden decide that they are needed, only 2 days from the first debate? Come on, the crisis was on early last week, why play the "I need to work on this" card now? Why hasn't he been working on it since last Tuesday?

Maybe McCain should learn how to send an email so he can work from his bus while he's on the road?

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Me too.
    I'm 100% SURE that a McCain presidency would mean much more suffering at home and abroad, and many fewer freedoms for our citizens.
    I'm ALMOST 100% sure we would enter at least one more war (in addition to the constant killing and military presence the US has without wars, with any president), since McCain has almost come out and said it.
    I don't even want to lay bets on the possibilities of a nuclear war, or another Great Depression under McCain.

And considering the questions about his health, I find Sarah Palin at least as terrifying.

18. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Id like to thank everyone for participating in my first succesful (meaning others have posted in it:p) PRSI thread.

Anyway, how do you think the American people will see this move? Will they see it as a PR stunt, or will they see it as an act of leadership?

Dont forget to factor in the sheer ignorance/stupidity/lack of caring on the part of our citizens. (yes that does sound like an insult, but from the people I know it seems to be true, but then again im 17 and most of the people i know are this age as well. Do americans actually pay attention when they get older?)

19. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Obama gets a 90 minute prime time TV special to himself.

21. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I guess they could have a debate over iChat!

I think its a win win situation for Obama. I'm very much looking forward to the debates, especially the VP debates! Biden is a great speaker.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Yes but if he does one of his trademark gaffs the Republicans will be all over it.

Ive just been informed that Senater McCain was a POW. Is this true?

23. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Likewise if Palin gaffes!
    Quite likely for both of them to in my opinion. I imagine we'll see to some extent if McCain's gamble with his VP choice will pay off.

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Any President that is unable to multi task is a joke.

Both of these guys can have a 2 hour debate and still go to washington to discuss the bailout.

And to "suspend" your campaign to try and fix the bailout is pure bunk. you can still have a campaign going while in washington.

This is pure Rove politics..

Unfortunately my country is dumb enough to fall for it.

I give up.