McCain seeks internet trolls to push campaign-approved talking points

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, May 21, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

So there you go. The republicans trolling our sites with 'approved talking points'. We are suppose to be here to discuss issues and our opinions. This is a deliberate tactic to try and make our sites a forum for promoting campaign agenda. I hope the mods read this and squash it when discovered. It goes against the principals of an 'open' discussion forum. I would speak out the same if a democratic candidate's campaign did it too.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL. I've never been to McCain's website nor do I care to promote his talking points. Contrary to belief, the PRSI forum, isn't the be all end all in the world of political forums. <insert rolleyes> :)

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Under "Liberal Blogs", there is nothing listed.

I'd invest in a Faraday Cage and a large tinfoil hat if I were you.

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Spam and slander from the right wing?

Shocker.

[​IMG]

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You directing this to me, skunk?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, what is your point? That a presidential candidate's website encourages his supporters to spread his talking points? Doesn't seem terribly surprising or sinister to me.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think he's questioning the use of "awards" to post on other sites. I don't know the sites McCain's campaign is recommending people post to, but that could be considered promoting trolling, especially if you're telling people what to say. At the very least it's a form of spamming.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

McCain trolls??

I wasn't even aware he was gay??

:apple:

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

give me a break
    if someone is going to talk about politics there must be an audience present
    if there is someone interested in the discussion, ok, if not
    the comment will go unanswered
    people can think for themselves
    the only way this site will become a forum for promoting campaign agenda is if the forum community allows it
    and by the looks of, at least, in this forum
    i don't think we're in danger of that
    and it does not go against the principals of an open forum
    on the contrary, it shows that we have an open forum
    if someone is parroting what they have read from a campaign
    their argument will be torn to shreds anyway
    i mean, if i take a look at your recent posts
    i could accuse you of exactly this very thing
    but i won't, because i think you believe what you are saying
    and seriously want to debate it
    therefore you have an audience
    and can take part in the open forum

besides, let's look at what's important here
    you own a mac, right?:apple:

btw, i'm not a republican trolling your sites
    this site is mine too...:)

10. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

As far as I know, I have never done anything to you. So, what is with the tinfoil reference? If you see things differently, fine, make your point. But, there is no need for snide comments. What you posted (above) is all that needed to be said.

11. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Post your opinions all you want, but do not try to school me. I posted my opinion, but it is no more than that. I understand when I post opinions, that others will not share them. I seldom debate opinions. I will debate facts, since there is only one version of them.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't know, SMM. This seems pretty tame to me.

It's all pretty transparent, and if users sign up on liberal blogs with no more preparation than the talking points, not only are they going to be swiftly outed, but they will be trounced by the blog denizens for their inability to back up their points. This has the potential to actually drum up support for the Democrats by virtue of making those towing the points look foolish, and McCain by association.

I'm actually more concerned by the FBI trying to infiltrate vegan potlucks* for terrorism. At least McCain's attempts to infiltrate the blogosphere isn't costing taxpayers any money.

*LAWL

13. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

A distant family member of mine is a die-hard Republican (recently retired from government work). Although McCain was probably her least-favorite candidate, once it was clear that he was to be the GOP nominee, she phoned the campaign HQ to volunteer her time. She was told then that the best thing she could do was to either start a blog and sing the praises of McCain or visit online chat forums and do the same.

I agree that this might not be the most effective campaign tactic--after all, you get what you pay for--but it seems that this strategery has been in place for several months now.

14. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

kinda like what i do except i'm doing it on my own.
    and the obama camp posts comments to news stories on large sites like abcnews and nbcnews.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I duly apologise, but your interpretation of others posting their opinions seems extreme. Why read it as a conspiracy at all?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is fine. Bring your A game and we'll debate. The issue is the implication that someone could be paid by the campaign to go to sites they normally wouldn't to essentially spam. We don't like it when Dems do it either.

If that's not what's going to happen, than it isn't a big deal, but it sure sounded like that to me when I first read it too. More propaganda. Issues and facts would be nice, but it's not like that would help them much at this point.