McCain To Vote Against Obamacare Repeal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

They wanted him back for the vote and they got him. But it isn't going to go the way they wanted. John McCain has said he'll vote against the bill in its current form and called for the republicans to work across party lines for a bipartisan bill. Guess brain cancer has a way of changing one's perspective. Looks like McCain won't be pressured by Trump.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...o-work-together-on-healthcare-in-fiery-speech

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If McCain votes against the bill it won't pass. Not a chance.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"In it's current form" - McCain has always been a weasel in the Senate.

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The power of the Senate is in enacting laws. A Senator who has no interest in creating or modifying a bill whenever he has the chance is probably in the wrong line of business.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

McCain was given a death sentence. It took getting a fatal brain tumor for him to grow a set... kinda.
    Good speech... but will anyone listening do anything about it? LOL... why ask... we all know that answer.

6. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

People tend to gain a conscious when their facing death. Most republicans know the current bill they have is cruel and worse than Obama. But they don't give a crap about the 99%.

McCain knows his time is probably limited and wants to make a legacy for himself.

7. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

8. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Only the repeal portion requires 60 votes.
    The current bill that is actually being debated and marked up is a reconciliation bill.
    Only requires 51 votes to pass. It doesn't repeal ACA, it simply guts it of any funding.

10. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

11. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Despicable man. His cancer treatment is being taken care of by tax payers, but he is preventing others from receiving the same treatment.

All these republicans are vile human beings. The love quoting Christ, but when it comes to helping others, the become the devil.

12. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Did you miss the part where he's planning on voting against the bill?

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You seriously think he doesn't have "a set"?

John McCain was very severely tortured during his imprisonment and yet when he had an opportunity for early release from that imprisonment because of his father's high ranking status, he refused.

Today, one week after brain surgery and just diagnosed with the cancer that will kill him, this 80 year old man is back on the job voting and giving a speech to the Senate.

If you don't like his politics, fine, that's a fair criticism. If you're mad about his vote, again fine. But don't imply he doesn't have a set because he does and it's certainly bigger than yours and mine and everyone else in this thread.

14. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Feel free to join the navy or run for senate.

15. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Well said! He has 80 pound nuggets as far as I'm concerned. Each!

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What McCain did, by getting the Senate to where a tie break by Pence would open debate on the nonstarter of a clean repeal, was more likely to force bipartisan consideration now and a fix than just letting ACA alone and having to deal with it in bipartisan fashion sometime down the road.

I don't regard that in any way as him being in a situation of getting good health care himself and disregarding the health care needs of others. Especially since he then said he'd not vote for the worthless bill he just helped open up for debate. Kudos, whether it's his swan song or not.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You do realize had McCain REALLY been against it he would have voted no on bringing a new one to the floor.

I'm sorry he has cancer. I am but that wont change my mind about him.

He's a spineless ( gave info to the enemy while in the cage ) and always votes for the military industrial complex at any cost. Even the poor and people that need health care.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Way to totally miss the point.
    I was referring to his speech he gave afterwards. If he behaved that way during the prior 30'years in the Senate, he might be viewed differently by both sides. Better yet, if he practiced what he preached, he wouldn't be a senator anymore. The champion of term limits kept running year after year.

I respect his service in the military and all he went through.
    That doesn't mean I think he was a great senator just because he was there for so long. He married money after ditching the wife that stuck by him during his POW years and helped him recover. He used the Hensley family name (Cindy's family) to get him into politics.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree that he's trying to do something a bit subtle and complex here, but it's not entirely clear to me what his end goal is. He said he won't vote for the bill as it is, but that implies he might be willing to vote for it eventually if enough of the right kinds of amendments are made to the bill. If he does eventually end up voting for any version of this bill, that may give him a health care bill he believes is right for the American people, but it won't help restore the "regular order" of the Senate, where bills are crafted through open hearings and input from both parties. I'm afraid he's trying to have his cake and eat it too -- get a bill passed so the Republicans can claim a win AND also rebuke them for the secretive and hurried way this bill was written. But I question if it's truly possible to do both things at the same time.

20. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Thank goodness.

Because the Affordable Care Act is sustainable.

If they'll just leave it alonez it'll soar.

21. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I apologize. You're right I missed your point.

22. poloponies macrumors 68030

He already did; he'll forever be remembered as the man who unleashed Sarah Palin on the world. Too late to grow a pair.

23. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

He got off his death bed to vote to proceed on a bill that will take health care from millions. Apparently that's easy to do when you know you will go gently into that goodnight on the taxpayer's dime.

Loser.