McCain Unsure How Many Houses He Owns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Isn't it elitist to wear $550 shoes and have too many houses to remember how many you have?
    I'll have my staff get to you on how many houses I own? How out of touch and above the average American is this guy?

And while we have heard a lot about the equivocating done by Obama on the abortion question during his Saddleback appearance, it would behoove those who deride Obama for his equivocation to review Obama's succinct answer versus McCain's equivocation about the question of how you define "rich":
    Talk about equivocating... Is the definition of "rich" above his pay grade?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Do houses = investment properties? If so, I don't see what the deal is. These things get so overblown. Try not to take this comment like I'm in love with McCain or anything

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I have to go with you on this one. It sounds like they're talking investment properties. It makes sense that he might not know about all of that.

4. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Did you guys see the story about McCain not paying his taxes on one of them because he didn't know he owned it.
    link

and might i add that obama needs to stop complaining about negative attacks while throwing them.

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

An investment property owned by a trust?

I don't really blame him for this

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why should he? McCain has gotten a free pass on all his negative ads while simultaneously claiming that he will conduct an honorable campaign. If the press is going to allow it, why not have your cake and eat it too?

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

McCain's attacks are usually pretty dirty assaults on someone's character. Here, Obama is using McCain's own words against him. Just quote McCain, and put it in context of his economic policy and the state of the economy, then contrast it with Obama's plans.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

His wife is a smart businesswoman, with them keeping separate books, accounts, and not filing joint tax returns ... I'm quite sure his wife has property he doesn't know about.

Since that is in a trust, and he likely won't fight the prenup, most of that wealth isn't his ... and doesn't need to be line itemed on his statements to the feds, campaign officials, etc.

Since the wife typically isn't considered, all she has to check is the box that says -- I have assets over 1 million.

---

Sort of interesting that the relationship with the other woman (who was very rich and much younger) has lasted 30 years, if he gets kicked out of this bed ... would be a big fall.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Now, that's more like it...

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I remember a line from Two Towers "Even those without swords, can still die by them". The democrats have tried taking the high road against the republican smear machine in many recent elections. The common wisdom is that it has cost them dearly. Obama made it clear, he was not going to repeat this mistake. I think he would come under considerable criticism if he did. Personally, I am happy to see him fighting back, and not letting the republicans trample over him with impunity. So, we cannot criticize him for this, or criticize for not doing it.

The democrats did not start this type of smear campaigning. McCain promised a clean, issues focused campaign. But, as soon as his campaign got into trouble, he threw all of that out the window. Quite frankly, I am sick of this crap. But, until the American public starts punishing this behavior, it will go on unchecked.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If he doesnt even know how many houses he has then he's unfit to be president in my view.

I use to have a client who was a phantom pilot in the USN and he said he was a turdhead and would never vote for the guy. He is a die hard republican by the way.

13. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Any Youtube links on Bill and That Woman's real-estate holdings??

15. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I would also not be able to answer the question. I would have to go back to my computer and tally them up. Not that I'm running for president... yet. But I'm a good business-person and wtf is wrong with that? </rant>

Thank you!

Redwarrior for president; kinda has a ring to it.
    :p

16. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Wouldn't it be neat if we were all this successful?

EDIT: I know money does not equal success, just trying to make a point here.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The "wife" has always been considered ever since Eleanor Roosevelt took over the reins in the White House. If they've been together for 30 years, her wealth has everything to do with his candidacy.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that is my point of view. Investment properties/house it understandible that one comes to a point where they will not know the exact count.

This is just yet another example of how worthless media is. It clear they do not care about the truth any longer. It would be nice to see the media go back to the more unbais reporting they used to do instead of less see how we can spin this to make it look bad and make more money.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think you were dead-on about Obama having to run negative attacks...but I'm perplexed by what appears to be an obvious self-contradiction here.

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's all a matter of perspective. If you're going to allow your surrogates to attack your opponent's choice in lettuce as elitist, you shouldn't be surprised when said opponent returns fire in kind.

Plus having multiple houses and a bunch of money was a Bad Thing when it was John Kerry and Theresa Heinz-Kerry, so it's more of the "good for the goose, good for the gander" thing. Or maybe a "people who live in glass houses" thing.

21. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

You are absolutely right.

For me, it's more about what they invest their money in than how much of it they have.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I'd say that if you have so many houses (investment properties) that you can't count them up using your fingers and toes, you're probably doing rather well. (And congratulations on your successes).

However, going around and complaining about how you're the salt of the earth at the same time might be a tad disingenuous.

There's nothing wrong with being successful, but you can't complain that the other guy is a rich jerk when you're wearing custom-made suits and eating $200 lunches. That most of McCain's wealth is owned by his wife doesn't change my mind about this reality. Obama's made piles of money from his books and he's done well for himself, but the McCain's money is whole 'nother level.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, then it is high time that you change Congressional reporting rules so the spouses are required to line item their earning and their personal financial holdings.

I think the earns more than $1k and has more than $1 million in assets while nebulous was likely correct.

---

I'm quite sure she know how much is in the trust, but opening that up brings the kids into the picture ... and I don't remember the kids stock and assets being a huge problem for the last few Presidents.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just because you don't lose your inheritance doesn't mean you're particularly adept at business. Her educational background is in special education.

Outside the church after the McCain wedding, they drove away in a Brinks truck limo.