McCain up 10% in new poll :(

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AvSRoCkCO1067, Sep 7, 2008.

1. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

A new USA Today/Gallup poll has McCain up 10% - a likely bounce due to the GOP convention and Palin pick.

Time to pack my bags and move to Canada....:(

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-07-poll_N.htm

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got a spare suitcase I can send you. ;)

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

im done with listening to polls actually. They are way to inconsistant in both their results an how they obtain them.

I also cannot beleive that nearly half the country is stupid enough to put Mccain in office when the country is in the state it is in, I honestly cannot. Therefore, something is wrong with the polls that state this as fact:p

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This poll could be an outlier, and the bounce likely won't be permanent. I wouldn't worry about a thing right now.

I remember back in, July I think it was, all of Gallup's polls were +5 or more for Obama, then suddenly, there was one poll that was +5 for McCain, and then every Gallup poll since then has had Obama in the lead. It might just be a bad poll. The tracking polls have this election much closer.

Besides, you have to take a look at the electoral college. Obama needs all of the Kerry states, plus a few more to win. Kerry had 251 electoral votes. And it doesn't look like there is any Kerry state that Obama won't win, so that's basically 251 guaranteed electoral votes right there. In addition to that, Obama is polling quite well in Iowa (7 EVs) and New Mexico (5 EVs). Put those in his guaranteed column, and we're up to 263 guaranteed EVs with 270 needed to win (269 for a tie, which would go to the Democratic house to decide the election so we'd win there too). He needs 6 EVs to tie it, and 7 to make it official. Obama has been polling ahead of McCain in Colorado by slim margins. That's 9 EVs. If he can win Colorado, plus everything listed above, he's the next president. If he can't win Colorado, he's still very close in Florida, Ohio, North Carolina and Virginia. Any one of those is enough EVs to win. National polls are a very mediocre indicator at best. After all, he can still lose the popular vote but win the electoral college. Flawed system? Yes, but it's what we have, and we need to use it to our advantage.

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Your avatar is somehow offensive. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it seems like a visual racial slur.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why? it's a picture of obama with "nope" under it. the o has the decal of the obama flag

i guess i am just interpreting it as a "not for obama avatar"

10. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I've got two years of undergrad left. :\ If McCain wins, I'll do my graduate work overseas. I normally get pissed when people suggest leaving the country because of the leadership. I say "stay and help!" But this would really make me sad that my fellow countrymen would elect another Republican after these eight years. It's like people who just can't leave an abusive relationship.
    And I fear where we'd end up with 4, god forbid 8 more years of this decline. Loss of liberties, a true economic depression, and more wars-- a draft?
    No thanks. Norway is looking attractive.

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

McCain supporters have been quick to argue that polls are just polls when their candidate was down.

I think the same applies here for Obama supporters.

And in reality, polls are just polls.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Go join your liberal paradise in Western Europe. I'm sure they'd love to have you. But come on, economic depression? You have to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

fixed that for you:p

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, pretty much. There could be another poll out tomorrow that has Obama up by 10 for all we know. You can't cherry pick polls like that, you have to look at trends among all of them. I won't worry until more polls show the same thing.

15. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Polls may just polls, but this nation could be coming to its senses.

A completely unqualified man who also happens to be the most liberal member of the senate should not be president. He is completely out of touch with the rest of America.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wouldnt go that far. to me that's flame baiting.

i wouldnt say he's unqualified and far from it imo

however, i will not be voting for obama and will be voting for mccain

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

why is it that the word liberal is so hated amongst republicans (meaning the diehards).

Liberal:

a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

i cannot fathom how in the world things such as open mindedness can possibly be considered bad, especially in the changing world.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

thank you for showing that not all Mccain supporters follow the same logic that weve seen out there. At least your willing to admit hes qualified, in this case he just happens to be the man you wont be voting for, correct?

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Not much to the qualification. Have to be born in the United States, thirty five years old and have residency for fourteen years. Obama fits the description.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

correct. my values just dont fall in line with the democratic platform and instead lie mainly in the republican platform.

this however doesnt mean i support everything republican and hate everything democrat. just that i agree with the majority of republican views. just like i would assume most democrtic members dont hate everything republican but agree on most views with the democratic platform

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Oh yeah, no way we'll be in a depression with more 'help' from the Right. The government just bailed out/nationalized the two largest mortgage firms to try to keep the economy from floundering. We have a national debt of $9.7 trillion. That's $9,700,000,000,000. Almost TEN-MILLION-MILLION DOLLARS. If you add in Medicare and Social Security and all that (which I know I won't be getting by the time I'm old enough) it's six times that. $60,000,000,000,000. Debt. Want a chart?

[​IMG]

But you're right, I'm sure Americans are just whiners and the economic problems are all in our heads. I mean, my $80,000 of student loan debt (after scholarships) isn't anything to worry about in an economy that's as flourishing as America's right?

Obama out of touch? I think YOU are out of touch. And so is anyone willing to hand over our country to that incompetent old man and crazy religious zealot from Alaska.

We need a ZOMG LIBERAL to fix all the damage that's been done.

For what it's worth, I'm a registered Republican and supported Bush in both elections (not as strongly the second time). I feel raped.

22. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

-1 for McCain :p

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

oh come on, when i thought i saw some intelligence in the thread, a non issue gets thrown in. Territory still qualifies him as being born in the states.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not true, US Military bases overseas are considered sovereign US soil.

25. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew