McCain uses Gustav to bury Palin scandal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by archesdevil, Sep 1, 2008.

1. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Abstinence (not having pre-marital sex), is a fundamental conservative/Republican value. The fact that her daughter conceived a child out of wedlock could possibly turn a lot of conservative christians off.

Why did they disclose this information today?

Discuss.

2. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

What scandal ..?? Do you mean her pregnant kid...?? If so, not much there...Unless it's McCain's....:eek:

3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    That's it? That's all you got? I'm requesting that this thread be closed. People should put a wee bit of more effort into threads.

~ CB

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Threads are cheap (more so in some cases than in others ;) ). We'll let this die on its own unless it ends up requiring a quicker demise.

5. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Thank you sir.

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    If you look at how the initial post has been editted, it becomes obvious that the thread is also redundant... maybe its a good idea to simply MERGE it. That would be excellent too. Just a good housekeeping suggestion. I'll try not to post in this thread again and unsubscribe.
    ~ CB

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

First, this is the second worst thread of the weekend.
    Second, who said the child will be borne out of wedlock? The child maybe, but since when did they share the wedding plans with you or qualified people.
    Third, DNC nominee for president, the community organizer and 140+ days in the US senate prior to running, was borne a bastard to a teen mother.
    Fourth, because folks don't get it, THE CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS LOVE IT!! Only the abortion doctors and wackos hate it.

I won't post in this thread again, like cb said>"That's it?"

read all about it

8. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I am not asking whether or not pre-marital sex is right or wrong. Nor, am I asking what decisions should or should not be made when a teen-aged girl gets pregnant.

I AM ASKING people to discuss why the McCain campaign choose today to release this information.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why not just close it?

I highly doubt that Hurricane Gustav had anything to do with the McCain camp releasing a bit of truth to dispel the deluge of lies and conjecture flowing from the liberal attack machine this weekend.

10. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

The fact that the Republican rank and file fall into line and defend their nominees means nothing to me.

Having spent a lot of time in the south and the "bible belt" I know there are families still, even in 2008, that would hold their head in shame if their teenaged daughter became pregnant.

I am a life-long Democrat and personally believe in human rights and equality for all including, single mothers, same-sex parents, and teenaged mothers. So, of course I empathize with her and her family.

My issue is not whether or not what she did is wrong or right. My issue is, why today? Why release this information today? Why not tomorrow or Wednesday?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Holiday weekend, natural disasters, you answered your own questions.

It's embarrassing, but IOIYAR. Just look at McCain. Above we have talk of Edwards, who is long since out of the race. McCain did the same type of thing years ago, leaving his wife after she had an accident for a younger, rich, woman. The excuse being he was a POW, which makes it ok somehow. Wonder what Guliani and Newt's excuses were, let alone people like Vitter, or Craig, or Foley. To be fair, Spitzer was also a hypocrite, but I don't recall anyone defending him the way they have others (except Craig and Foley, because of teh ghey). There were questions about her kid being her grandkid, a lot of things looked suspicious and didn't seem to match, but they release it now, defend it to the media as ok because it's pro-life, and a "family issue", then go back to hitting Obama with the kitchen sink, while most mainstream Dems won't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

12. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I think this is an unfortunate juxtaposition of stories on the CNN front page, or maybe it was deliberate :)

Attached Files:

13. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The reason the McCain camp released the information about her daughter being pregnant is to combat the allegation that Palin's infant son is in fact her daughter's.

As a liberal Democrat, I must say that the allegations into Palin's daughter really being the mother of the infant is merely a "swiftboating" from the left. It's disgusting.

PS: Don't let my location fool you. I'm a liberal Democrat, not a Liberal Democrat.

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The fact that Palin supports abstinence-only education makes her an idiot.

The fact that her daughter is pregnant makes her daughter pregnant.

The former actually matters in an election. The latter is just trivia.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am not a fan of Palin, and am researching what I can find on her positions, statements, etc. However, I think the daughter should be left out of the campaign rhetoric. I do not agree with the abstinence hysteria, and it would be hypocritical to now make it an issue against the young lady. Even though the republicans began the smear campaigning, and they would be all over this if the table was turned, I think this is a time to take the high road. I felt the same way when Cheney's gay daughter was attacked.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Personally I stand with what Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as VP"

He is right. I do not blame McCain for using this weekend to release it. It puts it out there before the Media forces it out being the fact and makes it a slime scummy way of it doing its thing. Has other distraction to keep it out of the media's attention for very long and by the time Gustav news it old so is the Palin news.

Lates face it the media is crap these days and as bad as it sounds you can not take everything at face value in what they say. The media spins the truth and just like to make things look bad.

The way McCain did it was the right way. It was quick after the he stated his running mate and it was in a way that kept the media from focusing on it.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Oh please!! :mad:

Everyone knew that hurricane Gustav was going to do landfall on Monday morning, so those changes suggested (and implemented) from the McCain campaign was already in place by Sunday morning anyway. This was a big story, given what happened during hurricane Katrina's landfall just three years earlier almost to the day.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Once you've done the homework nobody else seems willing to do, mind posting your findings? I'd like to know a little more about her than what her daughter is up to.

(Not to be lazy, but I do have my own election coming up)