McCain Withdraws Support for Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 8, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...0/08/mccain-withdraws-support-trump/91797024/

Can't believe he even endorsed him after everything Trump said...

"Donald Trump's behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy," McCain wrote in his statement. "Cindy, with her strong background on human rights and respect for women, fully agrees with me in this. Cindy and I will not vote for Donald Trump. I have never voted for a Democratic presidential candidate and we will not vote for Hillary Clinton. We will write in the name of some good conservative Republican who is qualified to be president."

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Unlike roaches, Republicans only scatter when it's politically safe.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Poly Sci majors will be studying this campaign for decades

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So.....crapping on your POW status wasn't a bridge too far

and

being critical of a Gold Star family wasn't a bridge too far

But dropping the P word in the back of a bus was?

Interesting where you draw the line Mr. McCain.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I can guarantee you when McCain goes into that booth he will vote for Drumpf.

As will all the other republicans that " disavow" him.

This election isn't about "who" to vote for. It's about who to vote "against"

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I wouldn't be too sure.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Regardless, what really matters is the public repudiation.

I can't believe it took McCain this long to do it.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Kirkpatrick is raising a lot of money. While I would love to see the senile old warpig McCain knocked off (33 years is long enough for anybody in Congress), that may be a bridge too far. After all, we're talking Arizona here.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I agree it's hypocritical of him, though I do feel the need to point out that Trump's crass language was hardly the worst thing about that clip. It was the suggestion that his status gave him the right to sexually assault women.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

oh look another attempt to discredit someone who doesn't fellate your idol

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Wish I could find a way to refute that...

They should start about 12 months ago. Along with psych majors.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That misses the point. His words describe sexual assault in a joking sense. He suggested that if you're famous, women will tolerate it. McCain just waited this one out to gauge the reactions of other people. It seems politically prudent, so he withdrew his support.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't think putting your finger in the air and going with the way the wind blows is the sign of a principled man though. That's my point. He should have distanced himself from Trump a long time ago based on principle.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah...unfortunately he's a less crazy version of Giuliani.

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

McCain is trying to save his ass. I am willing to bet that he still votes for Trump on Election Day. Of course he won't publicity say he would anymore.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Reince Priebus is clearing the decks for any potentially more critical tasks than chatting up the hosts of the Sunday shows. He's cancelling, and Rudy Giuliani is filling in on at least Face the Nation.

PriebusCancellingSundayDatesRudyFillingIn.jpg

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Reince is just embarrassed and in hiding. We might have to put him in the witness protection program. :D

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He must really be ruing the day they didn't change the rules and steamroll Trump at the convention. People get mad over stuff and then they move on (1968), what else can they do. That was a tough year in so many ways. But this here, this is just a nasty mess, and steamrolling Trump now is probably going to have to be left up to the voters. Puts the downballot races at more risk than a dumpTrump move at the convention would have done. Three months is a long time, enough to put things back together for congressional races. If they try to dump Trump now then it's much harder to say how potential voters would react at level of Congressional races, and there's no time to fix it if the polls show slippages.

19. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Like many other GOPers, he was just looking for an out. They made their bed however, now go snuggle with him.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's amazing how they're all afraid of their base now. Back in the day they understood part of their job was to lead.

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Back in the day there wasn't a 24 hour news cycle to report when politicians had fallen out of line with the party rhetoric. Or computer drawn districts that favor extremely partisan politics.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry Republicans, there will be no partial birth abortions. You'll carry this campaign to term.

23. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Not that I like either Trump or Hillary.... But McCain picked Palin, which made it impossible to take him seriously. So, I can't imagine basing any decision on who McCain does or doesn't support.

But based on his track record, I'd be more inclined to believe that McCain not liking Trump could only swing more voters to vote for Trump.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I will be quoting you all over the place. Brilliant!!!