McCain: Women should avoid military service

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jun 5, 2013.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Alternatively, he could have suggested that men avoid military service until they stop sexually assaulting women.

But let's be real here.

:rolleyes:

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I can't wait for McCain to retire and never be heard from again. Take Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, and Diane Feinstein with you Johnny!

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are his comments really that far off base? If we can't keep women safe in the military from being sexually assaulted should we be telling them it is ok to join.

4. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Isn't that what they do in Islamic countries ... seek to prevent women from harm by denying them equal rights?

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Arn't their rights being harmed by being raped will serving? Why should we allow that?

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Criminals don't follow laws, remember? Why punish law abiding women from joining the military?

Now if only these women were equipped with guns... Oh wait, they are.

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

But why not go after the source of the problem: male behavior?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't that the idea, stop the problem first. That is what McCain is saying that you seem to be against.

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm all for solving the problem.

I'm against avoiding the problem.

Suggesting that women not serve doesn't solve anything.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When did he say they should not ever serve? He said that until the military is cleaned up it is not safe for them.

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

So do the work to make it safe.

Which means changing male attitudes, behaviors and the culture that allows this problem to persist.

Do it with the utmost conviction and hold officers accountable for the actions of the men under their command.

Women are going to serve.

McCain should have suggested that anybody who can't handle that reality with professionalism and decorum are the ones who don't belong in the U.S. military.

12. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Women aren't the only ones harassed in military circles. *facepalm*

13. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Please dig your face out from your hands and elaborate.

(I imagine it's hard to type with your head in the way.)

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

While I do not have numbers or reports, it's been well documented that even young men can and have been sexually assaulted within a military environment.

The whole concept of rape is not necessarily a matter of sexual attraction or titillation, it's more about control over the weak.

15. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I don't understand your face palm.

Do you believe sexual harassment of women isn't an issue?

16. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Of course it's an issue, but people like McCain only see the black-and-white side of things and come up with ideas that won't solve the 'real' problem.

17. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Like holding officers more accountable.

Ruin a few high-level careers and you'll see more brass motivated to make a change.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed that this is true, the military needs to protect women (and men) from rape.

19. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Foot in mouth again? On top of that, it's the "blame the victim" scenario with these sort of people.

Why don't these people admit that there's a problem in the system and actually try to fix the system instead of burying the incidences and go about with business as usual?

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I can always tell I'm going to disagree with someone in a discussion about rape whenever they reach for victim blaming.

If I knew about a company with a history of staff being raped or harassed and nothing being done about it I would be hesitant to recommend it as a place of work to anyone.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, according to some, the solution is to make sure military women are always armed....

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Or, alternatively, you might try to do something about having the situation corrected, instead of allowing the horrific behavior to continue.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I prefer to come down on the side of science fir this problem. :rolleyes:

"The young folks that are coming into each of your services are anywhere from 17 to 22-23. Gee whiz -- the hormone level created by nature sets in place the possibility for these types of things to occur.- Saxby Chambliss

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/04/politics/chambliss-sexual-assaults

24. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

We are, it's just not happening as fast as people would like. The flip side is it never should have gotten into the condition it's in now. When I was soldier I never noticed this stuff, now I realize there was a problem. That is the battle that needs to be fought make Private Joe Snuffy 11b1p who has yet to see a woman in the military realize that sexual assault is a BIG issue.

25. unlinked macrumors 6502a

That isn't an alternative. That is something you can do in parallel.