McCains lead has disappeared

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Sep 18, 2008.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I heard this on the way to work and was just like "It's about time."

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The change is amazing. Last week I was in the pit of despair, fearing that a McCain "surge" was going to lose the election for us in the end, and this week I feel that virtually everything is going in our favor:

• The economy is in a meltdown which has not yet seen its bottom and will not likely do so until after the election -- terrible news for investors big and small, but good for Obama's campaign.
    • Palin's "new-car smell" has vanished into almost nothing.
    • She is stonewalling the investigation of "Troopergate". (Bad move...really bad move.)
    • The MSM are finally picking up on all the lies and are starting to call them such.
    • McCain is getting booed, embarrassingly enough, on some of his whistle-stops, like the one at the auto plant yesterday.
    • Both McCain and Palin have looked hesitant and uninformed in recent video clips.
    • The more info that comes out about Palin, the more she sounds just like a female Bush -- stubborn-willed and empty-headed.
    • Obama is not just hitting back in his latest ads, he's slamming McCain really hard.
    • After last week's sudden reversal, the polls are all moving in Obama's direction again, indicating that the liberal base is getting just as energized as the conservative base.
    Right now everything is running on all cylinders for the Obama campaign. McCain-Palin is suffering from self-inflicted wounds, the economic situation favors Obama, and Obama himself has skillfully course-corrected once again and is flinging McCain's crap right back in his face.

This is a very dangerous prediction to make, but barring some horrendous gaffe on the part of Obama or Biden during the debates (something I view as much more likely to happen to McCain or Palin), I don't see Obama losing this election at this point. I just don't.

5. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

FWIW, In hearing McCain introduce Palin the other day, he seems much less enthused than he once did. Could it be he's unhappy about her taking the spotlight from him?

EDIT: Maybe enthused isn't the best word to describe McCain.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It's spelled euthanized and it's the perfect word. :p

7. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

8. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I'm going to use that metaphor someday in the future! Do i have your permission?

Actually on second thoughts, 'Palin's new car smell' has given me mental polyps. Urrrrggghh.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Don't ask me, ask Keith Olbermann. I stole it from him. :D

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I would agree with that but unfortunately I thought Kerry had it in 2004, and couldn't conceive of Gore losing (despite not losing) in 2000. I will remain nervous until the results are in on November 4th/5th, and will have plenty of alcohol in near proximity to celebrate, or drown my sorrows.

I do agree that major gaffes must be avoided at the debates, which while Obama is not prone to, I was really worried about Biden (still am) but with Palin's popularity waning, I doubt that the VP debate will have very high ratings, and unless he says something really stupid it will just be the typical media spin on who "won" the debate where most people will hear about it.

If the trend continues, and McCain starts to panic I'd look to the debates and watch Obama do some slight baiting to see if he can't get McCain to lose his temper on camera. If that happens I think it's "game over" for McCain.

11. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

It ain't over 'til its over
    Don't count yer chick'ins
    The fat lady
    you get the picture ;)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

On the other hand, that Obama was able to come back like this speaks volumes.

13. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Reminds me of college.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If Dean's scream undid him in 2004, a tantrum from McCain would really undo whatever he has left.

He'd lose almost all of his moderate/independent support if he can't keep his reportedly hot temper in check.

Of course McCain knows this as well as anyone so while unlikely, if the trend upwards continues for Obama until the debates, the stress might be enough for a few nudges to push him over. Of course it does have to be caught on camera otherwise it will do no more harm than ever other reported tantrum has done so far. Plus it would make it a lot more fun to watch the debates.

15. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I suppose it was just a convention bounce. I'm hopeful that the electorate are now looking at the issues and policies more than the candidates as people themselves.

As a Brit currently studying american politics, Im looking forward to the televised head to head debates and of course the day itself.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It does, and I'll admit it makes me feel a little more optimistic, but I was fairly optimistic in 2004, and 2000 as well. Sure he came back but that also illustrates how fluid the voters' opinions are and if McCain/Palin strike the right chord at some point in the next 48 days or so they could swing back.

Same here, I figure if Obama loses I might as well regress to a happier time, although I'm not sure if my liver can keep up like it used to...

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Kerry never really got back after the "9/11" Republican convention. Any optimism (and I was guilty of it too) was wishful thinking.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly- I think this happened because McCain/Palin have hit a very sour note. I think people have had a chance to see what Palin is about and they aren't liking it. I don't see how they could possibly strike the right chord at this point. She's made so many mistakes in such a short time.

19. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

It's fantastic to see the polls swinging back towards Obama but I'm not going to allow myself to get carried way. The polls are still way to close and the electoral vote even closer. Still my flights are booked, accommodation sorted and only 6 weeks till I land in Rhode Island to hopefully cheer on an Obama/Biden victory.

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I never claimed my optimism was based on any real evidence but I though Kerry "won" the debates as well as I could have expected and was optimistic given what numbers I could find throughout the day on various states exit polls.

I realize we're in an even better position right now, but this year I don't want to be as disappointed should things not work out the way I'd prefer.

Obama should be further ahead than he is, the fact that he's not way ahead is what makes me worry, everything should be in his favor, and should have been since he cinched the nomination in June.

21. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

do you mean clinched?

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

McCain has lost his lead? I didn't realize he was ever ahead, given how "desperate" he and the Republicans have been in recent weeks.

23. Queso macrumors G4

I notice the recent drop in the price of oil below $100 a barrel hasn't boosted the McCain campaign. I think they were hoping that would be a good PR point, but it's been completely swallowed up by the Wall St. crisis.

24. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I was in college during George W. Bush's Presidency which is perhaps why that comment reminds me of such a time.

25. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Hu... I just looked and it said Mccain is 274 and Obama is 243... I'm no math wiz or anything but that looks like a 31 point lead??

Anyone wanna check that? :confused:
    :rolleyes:

Better luck next time.