McCain's speechwriter: Trump is unstable, could come apart when he loses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, May 9, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Glenn Thrush interviews McCain speechwriter Mark Salter (Caution PoliticHo link):

THRUSH: How do you see Trump? There might be a long stretch here where Donald Trump is going to be aware that--

SALTER: --he's going to lose.

THRUSH: --he's going to lose. How the hell do you think he's going to deal with that?

SALTER: Well, I think he's kind of an unstable personality to begin with, so I couldn't really hazard a guess, you know. I think he could come apart, you know, in some kind of visible way. I think that's quite possible. But--

THRUSH Do you think he is so unstable that he--

SALTER: I don't think he's psychologically well.

THRUSH So you think this process, the pressure‑‑

SALTER: I'm not a psychiatrist, but he just--there is something wrong with a guy that--

THRUSH: So you think the end game here could be Donald Trump having some sort of a breakdown?

SALTER: I guess that's a possibility. I don't know that that would happen. I just--I don't think he's a stable person. He certainly doesn't behave like one. You know, it's almost a compulsion with him. You know, this is all about, you know, how dare you insult me, you better respect me more, you know, and, I mean, it's a--it's pathological, you know. Any sort of slight is--I mean, his tweets are like--I think it was Mark, John--Mark Halperin and John Heilemann--or something--"I'm beginning to respect them. They"--because they didn't criticize him or something. I mean, grow up. You know, grow up.

You know, the whole thing with Megyn Kelly, you've got the--sometimes I thought the guy had some kind of secret room in Trump Tower, where the walls are plastered with pictures of Megyn Kelly cut out of magazines or something. It was just weird, you know.
    By all means, let's give Trump the nuclear codes...

2. Limey77 macrumors regular

I'm no fan of Trump, but I do have a dislike for interviews like this that puts words in people's mouths.

Whatever you think of Trump, it's hard to put much credence in this interview, however much I think it might be right.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

McCain, Salter, Mike Murphy, and all the rest of the GOP establishment were wrong about 2008 and 2012. They have zero credibility, so it's more than likely Salter is completely wrong now. :D

5. Limey77 macrumors regular

I doubt they're totally wrong but do have an axe or two to grind.

Either way, I don't put any faith in this type of interview. The interviewer got the soundbites and publicity they wanted but not much else.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

So McCain's speechwriter is saying Trump should win or else he'll become unstable and commit violence?!

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's some dude who wrote speeches for a guy who lost ...

Haters gonna hate and losers gonna lose.

Watch Hitlary fall apart after she loses.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2016 ---
    Elect Trump!
    Think about all the children who will starve if you don't.

And remember:

Every time someone elects Hitlary, a kitten dies.

8. aaronvan, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's funny, coming from an employee of a certifiable lunatic like McCain.