McCain's temper back on campaign's front-burner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, May 22, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-outburst22may22,1,3036752.story

I didn't post this one so much because McCain had dropped the f-bomb on one of his Senate colleagues. I was simply awe-struck by the concerns expressed by Mr. David Keene in the last paragraph. You couldn't create fictional irony this good.

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

He's not going to do as well as he thinks once the primaries truly get underway.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think I was right- he's gone insane. He's starting to look as crazy as Howard Dean once did.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

or Howard Beale?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sure- either way, I think McCain is done for.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I would think that would be reassuring to conservatives.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So what do the gathered think of Keene's fretting about McCain's black-and-white view of the world? When exactly did conservatives start worrying about inflexibility?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

november 7, 2006?

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

on a more serious note...

keene knows that there's a decent possibility dems will control the WH and both houses of congress come 2009, and that the GOP as a minority party will have to give up its "my way or the highway" methods.

perhaps he's considering that the best chance for the GOP in 2008 is to nominate someone who's demonstrated an actual ability to compromise and govern from the middle. not sure who that'd be, though, and it's not like mccain is close enough to fudge it...

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good one. Sounds about right.

Maybe we are witnessing the painful birth of pragmatism on the Right, but somehow I doubt it. I suspect Mr. Keene simply does not recognize the irony in his remark. He probably would not admit that his party and this administration in particular have made a huge bloody mess of things by attempting to govern with an ideological iron hand. I think they're going to have to wander in the wilderness for a while before they begin to understand the merits of pragmatism.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And to think, I actually used to like and respect the man. :rolleyes:

12. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I used to respect him too, even if I never agreed with him politically. The man was a genuine hero (not like those chickenhawks Bush and Cheney), he served his country, he went through incredible torture and never cracked.

I guess I still respect what he did back then. What lost it for me, was not his temper, but how he abandoned his principles. When he threw in with Bush on the latest round of torture legislation - that was it. He's been pretty vile for the past several years, blowing Bush non-stop, but I tried to overlook that. Then he took that last step - he betrayed the very people whom he represented so gallantly all those years, the torture victims everywhere. He sold them out - he finally broke - what torture couldn't accomplish, his lust for that presidential dream did it. Power corrupts. He sold out his most sacred principles. He has nothng left. I'm not angry, I'm very, very sad.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I hope Keene is wrong about McCain...just in case (God forbid) we end up with him as president-elect in 2008.

As far as the F-bomb goes...doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't mind hearing Nancy Pelosi lay one on Bush maybe just once. :D