McCain's turn for a surge?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Now it seems to be McCain's turn for a run up in the polls. Here's a report from Reuters that reports on a recently released poll from the last few days showing McCain pulling into a tie with Romney in Hew Hampshire......other polls are showing him gaining there and in Iowa too.......polls, polls, polls......before too long there'll be some actual voting going on

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, Rudy may have started out strong, but with not much else to go on, he petered out fast. I've been hearing that the more he spoke, the more he lost support. Thompson never really turned out to be candidate he was supposed to be. Romney started to gain, but was quickly dragged down. Same with Huckabee, he started to get ahead, but as we learned more, started not looking so great either. Tancredo is out. Keyes, forget about it. Paul is only popular among a certain portion of the electorate. McCain has been getting some good endorsements. He's pretty much the only one left.

I used to support him, but I don't know anymore. He's long since lost his independent, straight talk credentials. Kowtowing to the right didn't really win him any more support from the evangelicals, but it definitely lost him some of the moderates. As has his support of the war, which even if he can claim credit for the surge, isn't winning anyone over. Especially Dems.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

McCain is really the only good choice the GOP has.

Only problem is, the majority of the country wants our troops out of Iraq, and McCain wants to keep them there. That makes him a tough sell in the general election. Plus, he isn't sufficiently pro-torture or anti-brown people for a large portion of the GOP base.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would agree but his brown nosing of the Bush administration really makes him stink.

America needs to erase all and any legacy of Bush Jr and I dont see McCain doing that. Lets face it, for awhile there Bush couldnt sit down without asking McCain to move.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, I don't see the Dems doing that either. You only nominally have a two-party system.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They could.

But yeah, probably won't. :(

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I was waiting for mactastic to post on this but haven't seen it yet, so I figured I would go ahead...

Do you really think we would be in the same place we are in today if Gore had been elected president instead of Bush?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I can't be here 24/7, so thanks for helping me with that.

Funny thing is, no one who makes this assertion is willing to say that we actually would be in the same place today if Gore had won in 2000...

9. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

McCain leads Clinton in polls

So the McCain surge in the polls (and remember, they're only polls) continues. In a new national poll (link), McCain is leading Clinton by 6 points.

At least Clinton is polling better than the Huckster.

In the quote below, I've highlighted the results of the "viewed favorable/unfavorable" polls which are interesting, but not good news for Clinton supporters.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Could of been better could of been worse, who knows.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No way. Nowhere close. Doesn't mean I have to like him to think he'd do a better job. Just that the current administration has done so badly, he couldn't have been much worse. I didn't vote for either of them at the time, but would vote for him again in a heartbeat against any of the current Repubs. Even McCain, who I once did support.

Come on now. There's no way it could have been worse. I wouldn't say it would have been great, but it would have been better than what we've had.

12. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

If he does get the nomination, I guarantee you that McCain will choose Joe Lieberman as his running mate. Granted it will piss off the Neo-Cons. However, it would definitely give McCain the edge in a national election. In fact, he is the ONLY GOP candidate who beats HRC in head to head poll.

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think we'd be in a much better place . . .

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

We'd also be in a much better place if he had run this time around. Agh, how I hoped. He's also got better favorables than McCain, btw. But it's all moot now.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Better or worse is irrelevant to the issue. The poster was asserting that there would be no difference in where we are today if Gore had been elected rather than Bush in '00.

That proposition makes the fantastic assumption that Gore would have led us into Iraq in the same manner as Bush. Nothing I have seen or heard from Al Gore leads me to believe that he would have followed that course of action.

The Iraq invasion has been in the neocon playbook since the mid '90s. It is wholly a construct of the neocon right. Absent evidence that Iraq was involved in 9/11, there is no way Al Gore would have ordered the invasion of Iraq that Bush did.

Then there is the issue of warrantless wiretapping. It has now come out that the Bush administration undertook this program PRIOR to 9/11, not as a result of it. Again, I find it simply incredulous to argue that Gore would have implemented a pre-emptive "terrorist surveillance program".

Then there is the wealth re-distribution of the Bush tax cuts. No way Gore would have been a part of that.

And finally, let's not forget about Justices Alito and Roberts. Is anyone seriously going to argue that Al Gore would have put justices with similar ideologies on the SCOTUS?

No, it just makes people feel better about supporting long-shot candidates to tell themselves that there's no difference between the candidates of the two major parties.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

McCain lost his mind and his integrity a long time ago. I don't see him getting very far at all.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That hasn't stopped politicians before.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

True- but honestly I think it's too late for him.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno... McCain might seem like a viable choice to many. Think about it: Huckabee is practically being eaten alive by people like Limbaugh and other Republican elites. They can't stand him and his populist approach to politics. And not being a millionaire, Huckabee has little in common with the upper crust of the GOP. Romney is a flip-flopper. No one trusts him to hold a position longer than it takes to get political benefit out of the opposite position. 9ui11ani is sinking like a stone pretty much everywhere as people in the rest of the country discover what New Yorkers have known about him for years. And if Ron Paul beats you in Iowa, you're pretty much finished.

Tommy Thompson? Ron Paul? Alan Keyes? Please. Paul has the people-power behind him, but the GOP elites don't like him any more than they like Huckabee, and for the same reasons: he threatens their comfortable grip on power. The others are no-name candidates who haven't gotten any traction whatsoever.

McCain is at least well-known to the GOP. He's willing to stay in Iraq for 100 years (or leave it much sooner, depending on which crowd he's standing in front of) and he's "electable". Of course, he only appeals to conservatives these days, so he'll lose to the Democratic nominee (pictures of his man-hug with GWB won't help McCain's appeal to moderates) but looking over the GOP field, I see McCain as their strongest candidate in the general election. I realize that's not saying much about the GOP crop of candidates, but if they want to win, they'll select McCain.

I'll be interested to see how McCain does in New Hampshire. If Hillary had won Iowa, I think a lot of independants would have voted for McCain. With Obama a viable candidate coming out of Iowa, I think many of those voters will choose Obama's type of change over McCain's type.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

True enough. But McCain has also flip flopped a lot. Let's not forget how quickly he got into lockstep with Bush. I don't think people want more of the same- I really don't.

Also, I was serious about McCain's sanity. He's been so erratic over the last few years, one has to wonder what's going on with him.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know it. But seriously, look at the rest of them. Who else would they go with? Fredrick of Hollywood? He's tanking faster than 9ui11ani.

22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Sigh... McCain thinks Putin is the president of Germany? video

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Soviet Union? Germany? What's the difference, they're all a bunch of commies :D