McConnell to consider bipartisan plan to pay health insurers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We wouldn't want any of the insurance companies pulling in billions of dollars a year to be inconvenienced. Expect your admission ticket to continue paying for your own healthcare through the deductible shield to continue to increase though.

1) they take your premiums
    2) they take your tax dollars
    3) you pay for your own coverage

How do I get signed up for the money side of this?

3. 0007776 Suspended

You realize your 1 and 3 are the same thing right? Your premiums are how you pay for your coverage, and the tax credits mean you pay less than if you had to buy it all on your own.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No it's not, and only a 18 year old living with their parents would think as much. You pay your premiums and then you get to pay out your deductible. Some people's deductibles are 2000 dollars with a 800 dollar premium.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I appreciate the bipartisan sentiment, though I'm extremely dubious about the idea of letting states set their own standards for what's covered. I have a feeling some states that would allow awfully crappy plans.

Still, it's a start.

Bear in mind, however, that this offer is coming from the same man (McConnell) who in the same article speaks proudly of having stolen the ninth Supreme Court seat and consoles himself about Trump by reminding himself at least he's not Hillary.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, what would you prefer instead? We could try UHC, but the Economic shocks by it's effect on the Insurance Industry would be considerable - not to mention the lobbying to prevent it even happening. Or - just let everyone fend for themselves in the Market like olden-times - which is also Economically-Disastrous.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think he means out of pocket costs- deductibles, copay, coinsurance. But the model he posted is pretty standard. For quite some time tax dollars have subsidized other people's insurance.

I'm fine with extending Obamacare until the GOP can find a reasonable solution to lower healthcare costs while also preventing millions from losing their insurance.

8. 0007776 Suspended

Then he really should have said that to begin with. Instead of calling it coverage which most people would take to mean insurance coverage.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Here's what you do, transfer the money to the states and force them to implement UHC on a state by state basis to get their funds.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yeah.. and then run the risk of being insured in one state but not another. You're completely forgetting that the state's jurisdiction would end at the border with other states, making this an effort in futility.

BL.

11. Zombie Acorn, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm covered under OHIP whether I travel to another province or the US. Crazy that your insurer actually pays for your healthcare wherever you travel to. No $2000 dollar deductible either.

(Edited to be less of an ******* as I'm tired of the tit for tat going on)

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My health insurance company wouldn't have paid a bloody thing when I was in Australia for 2 years. They have no coverage down there, let alone anywhere outside of this country. They can't cover anyone where they don't operate business. Canada may be different, as well as any other country. that is the part you are not understanding, and as well as the fact that some insurance companies don't cover you when you are in other states.

Kaiser Permanente (HMO) operates in California and Washington State. They won't cover you without paying a HUGE premium in states where they do not operate, like Nebraska, Iowa, or Missouri, as you only are covered where they have their physical facilities. Anything else, you do not have the coverage you are paying for.

Same applies to PPOs when you are out of network. If there isn't a doctor in your network with a PPO, or your provider doesn't operate with any doctor in the area you are in, you are SOL.

I've worked in a PCP's billing office more than long enough to see what happens when our billing team has explained to them why they have a huge bill to pay after they thought they were covered. It isn't as cut and dry as you are making it out to be; in fact, it is leagues from it.

BL.