McDonald’s Makes Bold Move To Combat Minimum Wage Hike

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewap, Apr 21, 2016.

1. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Minimum wage hike to $15 in NY and CA = so long jobs for fast food industry.

A new mega-McDonald’s comes complete with a glimpse of the future as fast food chains respond to legislation enforcing minimum wage hikes.

In addition to adding bottomless fries to their menu, and revamping the atmosphere to provide armchairs and couches, the Mound City, Mo., McDonald’s will have kiosks taking orders instead of people.

Owner Chris Habiger said the kiosks will make it easier for customers to order. But efficiency is not all the kiosks represent.

Andy Pudzer, CEO of Hardee’s and fellow fast food giant Carl’s Jr. said moving from people to technology is the future of the fast food sector.

He said the need to explore an “employee-free restaurant” is linked to higher minimum wage rates imposed by state and local governments. New York State and California are two of the largest states to recently embrace the drive for a $15 minimum wage.

“With government driving up the cost of labor, it’s driving down the number of jobs,” Pudzer said. “This is the problem with Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton and progressives who push very hard to raise the minimum wage. Does it really help if Sally makes $3 more an hour if Suzie has no job?”

Pudzer suggested the Eatsa chain of restaurants, which are fully automated, as a possible model. Customers swipe charge cards into iPads, then place their orders.

McDonald’s is using kiosks in more places than just Missouri. It recently unveiled one in Chicago for coffee customers.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/mcdonalds-makes-bold-move-to-combat-minimum-wage-hike/

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

ya ya just saw mickydee's with a help wanted sign starting at 11.00 let them suffer the food is so crappy.they better have cash machines for the people who don't have cards.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Don't you have those in the US yet? :eek:

My local McD's added them fairly recently, but my brother lives in a bigger city and says that they've had them for a year or two.

4. 576316 macrumors 601

Most of the new chains here in the UK have automated kiosks for order/buying food then you go to a 'pick up' counter I believe. Hell the really new stores have iPads at every table where you can order from too.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Unless something changes, this won't work. The kiosks at my medical provider are ignored even if there is a huge line for an actual person. The Arby's near me tried ordering kiosks several years ago. People didn't like them, ignored them and they were soon ripped out. Another restaurant near me called The Melt has one kiosk which is also mostly ignored. Most people just like dealing with other people at counters for the most part it would seem.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Corporate owned McD raised their minimum wage to $10 and seems to have benefitted.

http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...raising-minimum-wage-0320-20160318-story.html

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

One thing that's always lost in this discussions is a simple time-rate problem.

For an average McDonald's worker, 40 hours at $7.25 is simply not as good as 20 hours at $11.

Someone will say $290 per week gross is better than $220 gross, but that's ignoring time-rate problems like childcare.

There are only 24 hours in a day, and while people might end up making less in total, they get some free time back, which has other social benefits.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think they're in the US yet...

OFC what's is there is still a cashier on duty and what would be the other cashier in the store has been moved to just serving food. Not to mention the new server they've added at the couple Mcdonalds I frequent. I.E. Mr. McD's owner is blaming changes and capital investments to come on minimum wage..He's just another boring, pathetic, oxygen thief

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Restaurants have been automating and reducing the need for "human resources" long before the current horsey show about minim wage was brought up. It's a straw argument.

Meanwhile, right-wing radio how DJ's are whining about how today's kids are glued to their phones and other automated technology (which are effectively no different than those kiosks) and wondering how they will get social skills. Which is nice and lovely, considering jobs are being eliminated just so bigger and bigger profits can be made (never mind what Reagan said in 1947 about bigger and bigger profits being the cause of bigger costs, not bigger wages for the acne-stricken wealth creators that wear the ugly uniforms, though a lot more people older than the teenage sect happen to be working those jobs nowadays as well...)

Granted, an opinionated DJ isn't adding $5 million per year of "value", especially since they don't try to answer any questions they posit, though when they do they do not take into account any number of factors -- or they are accepting of serfdom (or, what's the next worst thing to slavery) and are too cowardly to actually say it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    In our supply side market economy, money is all that matters - even if it mean taking corporate welfare while reducing worker pay, so they in turn have to take welfare while getting all the graft that the big rich corporation doesn't when it takes its corporate welfare. Walmart is an example of that taken to an extreme. If they're still one of the companies that takes it from both sides: http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Corporate_Welfare/WalMart_Welfare.html
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    Decades ago, the food quality was better. Sizes were larger, too. I used to work there. Even thew day when the new prices came in, I also noted new sized containers for some items - which were a bit smaller... always fleece the customers and blame them when possible. These seem to be American values, I suppose.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, and that's part of the point. Not everyone wants to work 40+ hours a week, and so by putting people in the position where each hour is worth so little, we are essentially taxing their time.

And, since there are only 24 hours in a day, and human beings need to sleep around eight hours, forcing someone to work for $7.25 means that they will never escape poverty without a major shift in their careers. But, they're caught in a Catch-22 because the more hours they work, the less time they have to go to school or earn certifications.

12. samiwas macrumors 68000

True. I hate kiosks. I can walk up to a cashier and say "Give me a Whopper with Cheese Meal, Medium Sized, no onions, with a Coke to drink" in under five seconds. They can swipe my card and hand me a receipt in usually another five seconds. How far will I get on a kiosk in ten seconds? Probably barely enough time to find and choose the Whopper meal, much less make the customizations. Multiply that by dozens or hundreds of people a day, and you suddenly see a lot of lost time. And really, I don't want to just deal with a computer screen. I deal with that at work...let me interact with a human.

I actually went to a drive through Wendy's recently where I pulled up to the menu, the guy asked what I wanted, I made the customized order, pulled up to the first window and paid, pulled up to the second window where they already had my customized order made and ready, and was back on the road in under 30 seconds altogether. That's badass.

13. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I like self-checkout, ordering stuff online and ordering food through kiosks and phone apps. I guess I'm not a socialable person, hehe.

14. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

Anyone can make an argument on the bonuses of personalized service. However the reality is it all comes down to money for the fast food chains, they are not in the business of entertaining or good service. Cheap food / max profits.

Automate, bring the prices down, the sheep will flock, the employed will join the ranks of the unemployed.

Automation will absolutely win over minimum wage mandate, you can count on it.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Then why hasn't that happened yet as my examples I listed earlier showed? Many many people do not like using kiosks. And as samiwas pointed out, they are much slower to order on. I used them at that Arby's I mentioned and it took SO long to order and pick all the items you want. Some things just don't translate well to a computer screen. This is one of those things.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

We've had kiosks and the new style kitchen without the holding bin and loads of staff for a while now. As an example looking at the kitchen there were something like 20+ staff back there on a Saturday now there are 8. At the front there was 12+ now there are 5.

I say smart move ;)

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I remember when the Jack in the Box I would go to had a kiosk. I was one of the few people who actually used it... when it actually worked. Frequently it would have issues like touchscreen miscalibration or even BSoD. It was eventually removed.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Self checkout is better when you're buying a few things or the queues are massive. But it really is pretty ****. I've been using it for years and half the time I still have issues.

The only thing it's better for is against the "basket only" lane as the queue for that is always super long and there is almost never a queue for self checkout.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There's new kiosks now that work well. They've changed the kids iPads to android tablets too :eek:

20. Robisan macrumors 6502

The feeling is mutual. McDonald's can't pay me enough to eat their crappy food.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt it's possible to get the kiosk to be as good as talking to a person.

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You've met the kids at the tills right....

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've never had any issues ordering fast food.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Maybe you've a different class of special over there.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

it's not the ordering that is the problem, it's them making it and bagging it correctly! Around where I live there is only about a 50% success ratio. Checking food before leaving the drive through or walk up is mandatory. So, maybe instead of concentrating on the frontside ordering, they should focus on the backside delivery. That seems to be the bigger problem.