McDonald's gunman killed by armed dad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Oct 31, 2018.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I was surprised I didn't find this already posted. Maybe I have missed it?

Alabama McDonald's gunman killed by armed dad, who is injured in shootout

"A brave dad armed with a pistol stopped what could have been a mass shooting Saturday inside an Alabama McDonald's when he took down a masked gunman who had stormed in and opened fire. "

Funny thing is....this statistic will go in the general "Killed by gun" category. Even if it was the bad guy who was taken down. I know the employees and patrons were very grateful for this act of heroism.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Another story highlighting the sad fact hero’s are sometimes needed to intervene because of piss poor laws refusing to implement gun control. Thanks for posting it.

3. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Ahhh. Because the criminal (would be murderer) was going to follow that law...just not the other ones. :rolleyes:

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

So why are criminals not doing this with the frequency that it happens in the US in other countries where gun restrictions are in place? We don’t have nutters walking into McDonalds here spraying bullets. What’s the difference with America?

5. kobalap macrumors 6502

Hey, if the synagogue in Pittsburgh had armed worshippers...
    And if the other teen was armed in Charlotte...
    And if the 3 year old was armed in Oakland...

You know, there was a time and a place here in California and the surrounding areas when everyone was armed. Not sure that was a great time for preventing criminals from committing crimes though to be honest, I am not all that knowledgeable about the old west.

6. tshrimp, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Because many other countries don't have the same amount of crazies. US is number 100 in murder rate, but number one in gun ownership. Looks like maybe some of these countries use other tools. In this case, it was nice to see that the hero also had the same tool.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2018 ---
    See Inline. I know you were being sarcastic, but there are many churches that have staff that carry, and congregations that do as well.

7. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I mean, it works in most developed countries except the United States because we keep saying "Oh that's too bad, but you know what? We shouldn't even try because there are always bad guys". We have about one mass shooting per week now, where in European countries they are fortunate enough to have one mass shooting every few years. Sure there are sometimes acid attacks and car attacks and knife attacks, but there are less of those still and some guy with acid or a car or a knife isn't going to kill dozens of kids in a school or workplace every week.

I get that you're all America is awesome with your avatar and everything but America is far from perfect. Once I realized that I was able to become a better citizen.

8. kobalap macrumors 6502

Come on, man. You know that the NRA and the pro-2nd amendment politicians are absolutely for having armed pre-schoolers.

9. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

So there are more gun regulations then ever before yet we are seeing an increase in mass shootings. How can that be?

10. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

In foreign countries there are more regulations. Here they have hardly regulated anything. Oh, a slightly lower firing rate? Slightly smaller magazines? That's going to help a lot.

We are seeing an increase in mass shootings because the first thing the president/republicans do is condemn an attack (good), and the second thing that he/they do is say that so-and-so is the enemy of the people and they're trying to fund the caravan and they're trying to subvert the voice of the people who elected the president, etc (bad). When the president and republican leaders say these things, they're essentially validating the views of the crazies and giving them the green light to fight the enemies of the people with guns and explosives. When asked if they disavow white nationalism they say that both sides are to blame instead of just saying that they disavow it (bad). They sow the seeds of hate and discrimination way more than the left does—which the left does do to an extent. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it hasn't been democrats shooting up places lately or mailing bombs. Just saying is all. I'm trying to deal with one problem in history at a time, and the worst problem is the present one because that's the only one I can help change. I don't care who did what in the past (as they often try to pass the blame to bad things other people did in the past), we're dealing with today. I don't consider myself a democrat either, and was a conservative from birth born in a very conservative family and voted for republican presidents until a few years ago when I woke up and realized that both sides are nuts. But now the republicans are even more nuts than the crazy liberals! I feel like I'm in a bad dream where I have to vote for democrats just to keep the crazy levels and hate down.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really? I seem to recall hearing that Canada has a comparable per capita rate of gun ownership.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I like this logic, for that matter why have stop lights if people are just going to run them, why outlaw robbing banks if people are just going to rob them anyway?

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

It was already posted.

Well, Look What Happened In My Area Today

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Crap, crap, and more crap.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I'll raise you 30k gun annual deaths and injuries.

16. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I don't think so, easily checked with a google search.
    it would seem the USA has us beat approximately 3 times over.

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 1.39.47 PM.png

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I'll take your side seriously when you apply the same "logic" to deaths by other means and call for a ban. More people die in cars than from guns. And pretty much any idiot can buy a car and drive it. The tests are stupidly easy.

20. tshrimp, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Typically they include shootings by police, protection, etc. But no denying there are crazy people out there. Glad in this case a the crazy person was stopped by an armed citizen.
    [
    That was a post within a topic of ....

"Man who tried to rob a GetGo gas station on Indy's northeast side shot and killed by customers"

So would that really count as a double post? Maybe so :).

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I look at it more as a running theme thread.

22. kobalap macrumors 6502

You sure about that?

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

So you think transport should be treated the same way as a weapon due to how many deaths it can cause? If driving tests are easy in the US then that is yet another fault with your laws as far as I am concerned. Vehicles and tests in most countries are subject of constant amendment due to being vital to the economy via supply chains and delivering people to services and employment all over the country. Daddies shotgun is not the same in terms of importance.

It’s true both objects cause deaths but vehicles tend to be the cause through accidents and negligence whereas a mass shooting is premeditated and al too often the instrument in cold blooded murders. If they suddenly decided everybody in Britain was having their vehicles taken off them and shops would no longer receive goods via lorry, with the intention of replacing everything with a gun, I know what would have the biggest impact. We can live without guns in this day and age but unfortunately not transportation.

It sort of puts it into perspective how stupid the comparison between banning guns and cars is when it’s viewed intelligently and logically.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

So America has more ‘crazies’ than other countries and perhaps the most relaxed and unregulated access to guns in the entire free world. What could possibly go wrong eh?