McDonalds suggested budget for employees [living on minimum wage]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MegamanX, Jul 16, 2013.

1. MegamanX macrumors regular

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/202...w-impossible-it-is-to-get-by-on-minimum-wage/

Yeah this just goes to show how insane the minimum wage living. I give props for to Mcdonald's to for budgeting but still insane. I make more in 1/2 a month than these people are bring in with 74 hours a week of work and I work one job and do not have any other income.

That is just insane. no one should have to work 74 hours just to scrap by.

2. Zaap macrumors 6502

I know plenty of people barely making ends meet with professional jobs that are much better than McDonalds. The dollar amounts are just higher and their responsibilities column has more items on it.

Unfortunately, I think the solution to all of this is a lot more complicated and requiring of people to do some serious rethinking of their priorities than just the simplistic yelling at McDonalds and other companies, or calling for simplistic artificial jacking around with the numbers involved.

But of course, no feel-good politician that wants to get elected could ever tell a large portion of the population that even if they were inclined to (which most aren't anyway.)

3. MegamanX thread starter macrumors regular

there is a differenencts being over extended but none of those numbers are that high. Hell most of them are on the low side of the scale in terms of monthly cost. You are not going to be able to push them much lower. That 800 a month in spending has to cover all food cost, all fuel cost, repair cost for the car or anything else. The health insurance cost at 20 a month is laughable. I have never seen it be that low. Best I have been able to do in good health is 100 and change a month.

4. Zaap macrumors 6502

^ I don't disagree with that. The problem is much bigger than can be fixed with simplistic solutions, and especially those that ignore economic realities.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Two minimum wage jobs would net you roughly $30,000 per year which is enough to live in a nice apartment with cable, internet and money to spend on food and gas, insurances. The only problem is, you won't be saving any money.

I think most who are in trouble have kids - while my wife and I could get by if we had to based on our current budget on $30,000 per year, we also don't have any kids.

Our health insurance isn't much more than $20/year for each of us - and I'm 24 and still can be on my dad's insurance (as 1 of 4 children, it doesn't cost anything extra, although that may change soon). Granted, we have excellent health coverage through our jobs.

6. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

McD's solution to your budgeting challenge and its abysmal pay. Get a second job that does not interfere with your McJob.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And no heat.

8. iMikeT macrumors 68020

McD's might as well pay its employees in bootstraps with this garbage.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The whole thing seems geared towards making you a member of their payment card ...

Let us bleed you in the most efficient way possible.

:rolleyes:

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

What if everybody in America was qualified to work a $25/hour job? Would there be enough $25/hour jobs available for everyone? Absolutely not; that goes to show you that the financial system is intended to keep the majority of people poor. You are living in a repressive, totalitarian state.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Minimum wage just hasn't matched to inflation or productivity. If we compare match minimum wage to inflation, we see that those workers have been steadily losing value in their earnings since 1968, moreover, if we use productivity, people should be earning a minimum of $21.72.

So, by this argument wages are being held down and thus, everyone in America is qualified for $21.72 an hour because the average value of their work per hour is much higher than their 1968 equivalents.

12. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I worked for Apple through a contractor doing tech support for iPhones (so I wasn't employed by Apple, yet Apple referred to us as its employees even though we had no interaction with them--we did interact directly with their customers, though). It was hourly but worked out to $19,000 a year (at 9.15 an hour, 40 hours a week, with no vacation or sick days ever taken). No benefits through Apple or the contractor.

It was the type of job you'd have to quit, too, if you ever needed vacation or had a family emergency and needed more than an odd day off, which would be very hard to get to begin with. Nothing like maternity leave, obviously.

Apple uses tens of contractors throughout the US and pits them against each other, so they are always increasing pressure on the contracted workers to sell more, have shorter calls, and higher customer satisfaction. You have to be pretty intelligent to get a job like the one I had to begin with, and once you have it, they treat you as if the fate of the world is resting on your shoulders every single day. It's not at all an Office Space type situation. It is extremely intense, with extremely intense people. And I've worked at McDonald's, too. McDonald's was far more caring and ethical. And I say that as a vegetarian.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm glad you brought this up. There's a tendency to blame Walmart or McDonalds because they make easy bad guys, but the problem is structural. We have created a system were workers are competing knife and fork with each other for an increasingly smaller pieces of the pie.

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Very good point. It's a simple-minded thinking that leads people to say that a livable wage in the $20 range is not achievable when a variable like inflation is injected into the equation. Then again, there are people who think that $1 in 2013 holds the same value as $1 in 1850. A dollar's a dollar right?

It's not so much a system that we created but a system that was created for us that these bad guys corrupted while we fail to regulate them.

As I've been saying on here, the water is boiling around us and we're becoming immune to our imminent demise.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I was up until recently, a full time employee at a McDonalds. I worked there for just over a year and a half, which made me quite literally the longest lasting crew member this particular store had ever had - for good reason. I've worked a few other minimum wage jobs before, and most of the time, I had to agree that the work I was required to do was about on par with what I was being paid, more or less. But if you ever want to know the definition of "overworked, underpaid" I think you know which company I'd refer you to.

I won't bore anyone or have a three page rant about the ridiculous nature of the job, but I gotta say; they really do somehow believe that you wouldn't be working there if you didn't take pride in the position, and therefore you must act as if the gods have looked down upon you with sunshine and rainbows to be as "lucky" as you are to work for such an outstanding company. :rolleyes: Funny, I didn't know that calling in sick once or twice a year was grounds for termination; that if you aren't willing to work 10 or 12 hours a day and give up your day off to work a double without overtime pay, you must be a lazy, unmotivated and ungrateful bum. Not to mention how they assume you just have to be blowing your "generous" salary on drugs/hookers/what have you to not be able to cover the missing $20 bill from your till that the manager miscounted, or more likely pocketed.

Glad I got the hell out of there.

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm glad that you got yourself out of McD's.

It really irks me when I hear employers give employees the "are we not merciful by hiring you" rhetoric while dehumanizing their employees and paying them an unlivable wage.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Getting by on minimum wage is hard...if you've got kids, it's a nightmare. The standard of living has not risen with the cost of living or inflation, which makes things worse. I don't make a fortune, but I make a lot more than minimum wage and so I always try to donate at least a little something to charities who help people who aren't as well off. If you have a good job, give thanks...especially in this economy.

18. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Newsflash: minimum wage isn't intended to be used to support yourself paying rent in your own place, supporting a family, etc.

If there are only minimum wage jobs available for skilled people then that's another problem, but people shouldn't be aiming to survive on minimum wage.

Minimum wage work is for unskilled labor; if you have no skills to offer, why should you be paid more than a 16 year old kid (who lives at home with no expenses) who is equally qualified for the job?

Again... if it's the only job available thats another problem...

19. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You'd get agreement from me if we had a standardized institutional vocational training programs but we don't. With the fast and furious effort to kill the union our last line to create skilled laborers is crumbling.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is that how it works in America; you physically pick up a cheque, take it to a bank and put it in your account?
    Is it not automated like in the UK (nominate a bank account when you start work, money goes in automatically but you also get a letter with the details of the transaction on)?

21. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

that "budget" is a real 'Mcroyal' BS if you ask me. where do they get off, suggesting a budget that is based on a person getting a second job?

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It depends..Many of the working poor do not have bank accounts.

For most jobs yes a check is a think of the past

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You'll never be home anyway.

24. iBreatheApple, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

That's why you go to school and get an education. If you worked hard in high school you likely are eligible for some type of academic award. All you need in Florida is a 20 on your ACT and a 3.0 to be awarded a 75% paid tuition for 7 years or 120 credits. If you didn't do well in high school and can't afford it, apply for a loan. If you don't qualify, sign up for financial aid. If you're not eligible, talk to your advisor and try for the hundreds of scholarships your college offers.

There is a way. The only people with rational excuses are ones with extenuating circumstances. There is no reason you can't go to school and get an education.

25. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Florida was systematically getting rid of vocational education when I graduated from HS there in 1994. Not everyone is going to succeed in college, if you don't then what do you do.

Here is what's left:

http://florida-vocational-schools.com/subjects/

you notice it says 7 schools but only in 2 counties

Attached Files: