McDonald's to offer gourmet coffee

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
From CNN:

McDonald's coffee may go gourmet
USA Today says restaurant will compete with 7-Eleven and Dunkin' Donuts for share of $8.9B market.
January 10, 2005: 8:00 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - McDonald's may soon be going upscale with its coffee, according to a report Monday.

USA Today said the world's largest fast food company is set to test and then offer premium java at all of its 13,000 restaurants either later this year or early 2006.

No further details, such as the coffee brand, the price, or an exact roll-out date, were available.

Oh, yeah. When I think "gourmet coffee", I think "7-Eleven and Dunkin' Donuts". :rolleyes:

No matter how good the coffee beans are, Micky D's will find a way to burn it to the same carbonized goo that they currently offer.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is surprising, thought that McDonald's was the top it it's field. There shops are always busy. I also wouldn't think of McDonald's when I wanted a good cup of coffee. Starbuck's is my favorite, the best around IMHO.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
McD's in Canada already offeres "gourmet" coffee. Its called McCafe. Its not bad but you gotta make sure its fresh.

But nothing beats a Tim Hortons coffee.. NOTHING....

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
jsw said:
Oh, yeah. When I think "gourmet coffee", I think "7-Eleven and Dunkin' Donuts". :rolleyes:
It's all relative. That is, when you're eating an Egg McMuffin or Hotcakes with Sausage on a styrofoam platter, pretty much anything will taste like "gourmet coffee."

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
rhpenguin said:
It's not bad but you gotta make sure it's fresh.
My point exactly - it never seems to be fresh when I'm forced to get it (long trips, no good options). It's like some new quantum law that states that McDonald's coffee will always taste as though it has been on the burner for four hours, no matter when you buy it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So if I spill some hot gourmet coffee on myself, do I get to sue for douple the money. :rolleyes:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
rhpenguin said:
McD's in Canada already offeres "gourmet" coffee. Its called McCafe. Its not bad but you gotta make sure its fresh.

But nothing beats a Tim Hortons coffee.. NOTHING....
Oh wow I hate the end of their commercials...

"Always fresh is Tim Horton's!"

grrrrrrrr.........it gets stuck in my head for days when I hear it. Arg.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
jsw said:
From CNN:

No matter how good the coffee beans are, Micky D's will find a way to burn it to the same carbonized goo that they currently offer.
Hey, if you had to drink the coffee we serve at work, you'd think DD WAS gourmet! :eek:

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Well seeing as though I think McDonalds coffee is probably the worst coffee I have ever had...Anything would be an improvement.

Though I usually just make my own at home, and bring extra to work in a thermos

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Timmies is a Canadian institution... I would say 1 in 3 people hit timmies on their way to work in the morning for an excelent cup of coffee... Ive only stumbled on a few timmies in the USA one being in Ohio (hit it whenever im going to Mid-Ohio race track).

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Well, ridicule me if you like, but I love Dunkin Donuts' coffee.
I get coffee from there every morning.
Wouldn't touch Mickey D's coffee even if it was all there was.

I'll drink Starbucks, but I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts
I don't know that I would call it gourmet, but I would call it good!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacDawg said:
Well, ridicule me if you like
OK ;)

Dunkin' Donuts coffee? I suppose you'd rather toast frozen waffles than make them fresh? You probably don't even own a Mac because, heck Windows XP is pretty good, right? Sheesh.

Aw, you know I'm just kidding. Heck, I prefer a good cup of coffee over some latte crap any day.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
emw said:
You probably don't even own a Mac because, heck Windows XP is pretty good, right? Sheesh.
Ouch... you really know how to hurt a dawg!

I just think Starbucks is too bitter. DD is much smoother.
Now if I want something with a bite, I'll opt for Starbucks and pay the premium price for it :rolleyes: But for my money and taste, its DD. I could care less about the "image" or anything else. I just want it to taste good, wake me up and not break the bank!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
MacDawg said:
I just think Starbucks is too bitter. DD is much smoother.
That would be because Starbucks actually brews with something called coffee beans. ;)

DD is smooth because, well, it's apparently just water with brown coloring added (don't want to think about that). When I drink my Starbucks venti black-eye (20 oz coffee with two added shots of espresso), I know I've had some coffee. When I drink DD "coffee", I can never be sure.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
jsw said:
When I drink my Starbucks venti black-eye (20 oz coffee with two added shots of espresso), ...
Isn’t that called a “red eye?” Or is that just your traditional post-brawl drink? ;)

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
jsw said:
That would be because Starbucks actually brews with something called coffee beans. ;)

DD is smooth because, well, it's apparently just water with brown coloring added (don't want to think about that). When I drink my Starbucks venti black-eye (20 oz coffee with two added shots of espresso), I know I've had some coffee. When I drink DD "coffee", I can never be sure.
Alright, don't mess with my coffee!
*Growling, with teeth showing*

I'm secure with myself and my image :cool:
I don't need to spend a fortune on something that hurts just to drink it in order to make a fashion statement!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
jsw said:

and i thought "starbucks is mcdonalds of coffee, only worse" looks like they are better ones in the US

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
MacDawg said:

I don't need to spend a fortune on something that hurts just to drink it in order to make a fashion statement!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
FWIW, 'Dawg, I'd rather drink Dunkin Donuts coffee than Starbucks, too. Starbucks is okay, but I'm a regular coffee kind of guy. That froufrou candyass whipped cinnamon mocha latte mumbojumbo stuff is too darn pretentious and expensive for me! ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
dotnina said:
Isn’t that called a “red eye?” Or is that just your traditional post-brawl drink? ;)
Here, a "black eye" is coffee with two added espresso shots, and a "red eye" has one.

It's not "official" terminology, so I'd imagine it varies regionally.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
MacDawg said:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
There, there, Dawg - I'd never think to mess with a man's coffee. I was only messing with your choice of Dunkin' Donuts' coffee-type hot beverage. ;)

And I'm secure enough with myself and my image to drink Starbucks without feeling pretentious - but I only get it a few times a week - coffee is expensive when it's the real thing! ;)

powermac666 said:
FWIW, 'Dawg, I'd rather drink Dunkin Donuts coffee than Starbucks, too. Starbucks is okay, but I'm a regular coffee kind of guy. That froufrou candyass whipped cinnamon mocha latte mumbojumbo stuff is too darn pretentious and expensive for me! ;)
I agree. Coffee should not be prepared with anything except, well, coffee. Although I do add a bit of cream and sugar... it's just too harsh otherwise. ;)