McDonalds (UK) to offer free Wi-Fi in restaurants

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/oct/06/internet?gusrc=rss&feed=11

I rarely go into McDonalds these days, but anything that puts pressure on other places like cafés and particularly hotels in the UK to cut prices on Wi-Fi access is OK with me.

I still like the vanilla shakes at McD's though. ;)

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Wouldn't it be time limited though?

Limited by the time you can spend smelling the trash they try to pass off as food.

3. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Exactly what I was thinking...:p

4. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

McDonalds had free wi-fi internet access in most of their restaurants in Paris when I was there (in 2004). They are only now just getting around to the UK?

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Probably because the market is overdue for it. It's still not that easy to find free Wi-Fi in the UK and for many people, regardless of the food, this will come as welcome news as other places will have to reconsider their outrageous prices...

It also wouldn't surprise me if they've got one eye on iPhone and Touch customers, the timing of it seems more than coincidental with the iPhone out here in about 4 weeks or so.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

People, including me, will flock to McDonalds just to use the WiFi, just like they do in Apple Store's, this is an awesome business move, but I wonder how odd people will look with a laptop in McDonalds...

8. sananda macrumors 68020

i think you're right. and they'll spend money on food and drinks. i don't know why so many cafes charge £4 for 30 mins of wifi when if it was free they'd clean up attracting new customers.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its not only McDonalds that will benefit, this will be great for sales of Wifi enabled phones (and the iPod touch)...right now the only place I would use an iPod touch's WiFi is at home where I already have a laptop! There are so many McDonald's in central London (not that far from me, and I go there often) it would be similar to citywide WiFi with the downside of an average 3 minute walk...

10. TheCloud macrumors newbie

mcdonalds had wifi in about four hundred locations for a couple of years with bt openzone. It was at 6 GBP per hour. The new service is in one thousand two hundred locations in the uk, with The Cloud providing the free wifi service. So I can promise you it works with iPod and iphone. The Cloud does the same for mcdonalds in a few other countries

Owen

11. Barnard macrumors newbie

You are right on the money there, if Starbucks was was to offer free Internet I'd buy a whole lot more of their overpriced Coffee!

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Fortunately the only places I go for coffee have free Wi-Fi.

I just wish I actually lived in Bristol to take advantage of it more often.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Mmmm...shakes. Though I had to stop drinking them after I read the nutrition facts...very foolish move on my part.:eek:

I really don't understand Starbucks' motivation here. They could easily have free WiFi and sell even MORE expensive low quality coffee. It really seems to defy business sense.

14. calculus Guest

calculus

I wonder if I'll be able to pick it up in the cafe next door?

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Smart thinking!

16. dcv macrumors G3

I know you're quoting the article but it does make me giggle to see the words "McDonalds" and "restaurant" in the same sentence :rolleyes: :D

I do not and will not go into McD's but it is nice to see them rolling this out. I just wish other coffee shops etc would catch on more quickly.

Good thinking ;)

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Their milkshakes are the only thing I buy from them now, that and the occasional coffee. Putney McD's glucose-laden vanilla milkshakes saved my wife during her first pregnancy.

Good to see more competition the the public WiFi sphere but I do wonder about the "pollution" of the airwaves particularly in a concentrated nation such as Britain.

18. sananda macrumors 68020

so do i.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I haven't eaten McDonalds since the early 90s. I do pop in for a coffee (they have excellent coffee) and free wifi on occasion though. :D

20. bartelby macrumors Core

:confused::confused:
    They do??

21. Drile macrumors member

Great strategic decision making by their execs.

22. rogerw macrumors 6502

weve provided free wifi for over a year now at on our terrace at our watersports centre - www.chichesterwatersports.co.uk
    I think I also read somewhere that a whole bunch of cafes in the Lanes, Brighton have also done the same for a couple of years.

23. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The last thing I would do is take my MBP to an area with food, especially greasy food.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, but a touch would do nicely;)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

McDonalds have had free wifi for Nintendo DS owners for a while now.

I'd still never go there. The food is just a tad disgusting.