MCE Optibay - Company Sucks - My Story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by motoracer1486, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motoracer1486, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

So I got my brand new 2011 13" Macbook Pro and purchased a MCE Optidrive + OCZ Vertex 3 to go with it. The MCE Optibay says it's compatible with the 13", 15", and 17" 2010 and 2011 models....sweet for me, right? Well time to install the SSD + Optibay. The directions are for a 15" MBP which is completely different than a 13" when trying to install the optibay. I contacted MCE for instructions for the 13", and they never replied back (its been over 2 weeks). Terrible customer service!

If it weren't for ifixit.com, I probably would have had to return the optibay because I wouldn't have the first clue on how to take everything apart.

2. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Installing a drive on the 13" is essentially exactly the same as a 15" - I'm not sure what you mean by this? In both cases, you take off the bottom cover, unscrew the hard drive stabilizer, disconnect the SATA cable, remove the torx screws, and then reverse.

Two weeks is awhile to get an email back, but their instructions were relevant.

3. motoracer1486, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011

motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I should have been more clear. The directions were to install the SSD + optidrive. The directions for the optidrive were completely different.

Insert foot in mouth...I meant to say MCE optibay - not OCZ. I've asked a MOD to edit the title. Sorry OCZ (though you still need to add Mac upgrade support).

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Ahhh, I got you now. That's weak of them, yeah. MCE Optibay has a lot of mixed feedback in that big optibay thread.

5. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I was wondering about the title as well. I thought I was about to hear the same old common "four drives died on me, RMA process sucked bawls."

Perhaps we may be seeing the same thread title a few months later from you ;)

Nonetheless, the most expensive optibay I'd ever buy is from OWC. Just return that MCE crap and buy some Chinese made optibay on ebay. They have better customer support imo.

6. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I sure hope not!
    Not worth the effort to take it all apart and send the items back...especially if getting a refund is anything like getting a reply from their support...Just letting you guys know so you learn from my 'mistake'. :)

7. whooda4 macrumors newbie

1st. It was not difficult at all to install the optibay. If you require instructions they you should not be doing it. There are a few screws, and ribbons. It is self explanatory.

2nd. Their customer service was great for me. I accidentally moved a ribbon that was for the wifi by less than 1/32nd of an inch and it was no longer registering. I emailed at 5:30pm and received a response within 3 minutes and was back up and running with in 5.

8. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1st. You sound like the guy that created the directions on how to swap out the optibay for MCE.

2nd. I'm glad you got a response from them in 3 minutes - I didn't though.

I'm sorry I don't know how to disassemble my laptop off the top of my head - I expected good directions to walk me through it. And there are ribbons and screws that you must take apart...but how the hell do I know which ones to take out unless I'm shown how to do it??

You're telling me that this guide is self-explanatory and people should automatically know how to do this??
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...y-Early-2011-Optical-Drive-Replacement/5122/1

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Really, if you couldnt look at it and figure it out then maybe you shouldnt be playing inside the computer. I dont really get what your saying about the 13" and 15" and optibay and optibay/ssd install...both computers are damn near the same and the ssd is going to be the same as a hdd. If you have to follow directions step by step to do something this simple...what happens when you do misplace the wrong ribbon cable? You will have no idea because you are using the directions as a crutch and not learning.

There are 10 screws on the bottom of the computer, 3 on the optical disc/optibay caddy, 2 on the bracket supporting/directing cables over top of the optibay/optical drive and 2 ribbon cables you have to undo, one for wifi and one for the drive...

Go watch youtube videos...learn and understand what the cables/screws/boards are and what they do before you go playing around and break something and then blame Apple and make hate threads because they void the warranty or whatever.

10. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're missing my point...If a box says it's compatible with a certain laptop, there should be instructions on how to install the product in the laptop. Obviously MCE installed their product on both the 13" and 15", but they were too lazy to make directions for all of the compatible laptops.

Not sure what you're talking about when you say for me to go watch videos before I break something and blame Apple...I searched google and found step by step instructions on how to swap out the optibay. What else could I have done? I learn how to do things with good/relevant instructions. I had enough sense to see I wasn't going to be able to install the optibay. I stopped, contacted the company, and then searched online which led me to ifixit.com. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Very surprised you guys are bashing me over this...Do you really think people should have knowledge of how to take a laptop apart without instructions/watching someone else do it first? If I purchase a product (especially an optibay for $100+), I expect excellent customer service and great instructions.

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Even though the instructions are essentially the same, I agree with you that they should include a copy for all compatible versions. I say this because their Optibay is basically the same as the $10 ones on eBay, but they charge $100. If you're going to charge that much more, include everything possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.