McMaster named National Security Advisor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 20, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not sure McMaster would be my first choice as National Security Advisor (too many Generals are likely to see a military answer to every problem. And there are a host of other factors - diplomacy, economics, public health, infrastructure - that a purely military background wouldn't necessarily prepare a person for.)

But overall it is a vast, vast improvement over the obviously tainted and delusional Flynn. Here is hoping that Gen. McMaster got to pick his own staff, and gets to impose some discipline and order on the amateur-hour and ideologues they've got in the White House right now.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is a rare time where I am actually ok with a Trump decision - McMaster seems pretty qualified. I hope he gets the opportunity to spread his wings without interference...

4. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

I'm assuming some level of due diligence has been done this time rather than just "He seemed an ok kinda guy last time I met him".

How long before some kind of skeleton is found that makes this appointment null and void?

5. AsherN macrumors 6502

I'm sure it was as deep as the guy may have tweeted something nice about Trump.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He seems reasonably qualified, but I do have to question the sanity of anyone who takes a job in the Trump administration.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I've been pretty critical of Trumps administration the past few weeks but I like this pick. Just based on the very little I've read about McMasters, he definitely doesn't seem like he'll just be another part of Trump's echo chamber.

This is a guy who, on several occasions, slowed his own progression through the Army (he was twice passed over for Brigadier General) for disagreeing with the way Army leadership did things. But it doesn't sounds like he has any insane ideas as far as I can tell. Sounds like a guy with principles, which is more than I can say about most of the guys in Trump's inner circle.

So, good job Mr. President. Well done and hopefully we get to see more stability and sound decisions from your administration.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm somewhat okay with this one as well, given that we have some stalemates going on in the world. I'll let NPR pick it up from here.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/21/51637...-security-adviser-known-for-speaking-his-mind

For McMaster, at least we know we're getting someone who not only knows his ****, but won't take any ********. Noted Ph.D with his book basically being standard reading material, been through all of the military conflicts of the past 25 years, and is more than qualified for security.

However, as Bowman mentioned, he's blunt, and we hope he can be just as blunt at Trump when it comes to things that Trump is underqualified for.

Speaking of Trump, I find it rather petty of him to require that a retired soldier wear his uniform while on the job. Once retired, you are a civilian, even though you've been honoured with the privileges and duties of that rank. To required someone who is no longer active in the military to wear his uniform is not only really petty (read: wear it for show), but shows how ignorant Trump is of the military and their practices.

BL.