Md vs nd models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Philly10, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Philly10 macrumors newbie

Just to share my experience, I was having wifi weak signal issues with my phone. Called AppleCare, and they told me to take it into a genius and get it swapped. The genius first brought out a phone in the white box. I immediately noticed what looked like scribbles and letters on the back of the phone. The genius stated that it looked like a little kids handwriting. He had one more in stock in a white box, luckily I did not see any major scratches. Genius told me these phones are "rebuilt." The replacement has Nd model number. I looked up the serial number to see when the phone was built. Week 36 in chengdu. It originally listed the model number beginning with md. all ND phones are def. rebuilt/refurbs. Don't let anyone fool you. Now I am stuck with a refurb after having a brand new one for a week

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'd actually rather have a refurb than one off the factory floor. They go through some extensive tests. I've never received an Apple refurb that I didn't like or didn't work.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Besides the nasty face grease and dandruff wedged into the crevices, what's so bad about a refurb?

4. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I almost choked, I laughed so hard!

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

When did they have time to refurb these ? This can't be correct info

6. monkor macrumors regular

Alright, I bit on that one.

7. Biscotti macrumors regular

I was in last Friday for wifi issues. There was a guy that got a replacement phone in a white box. He didn't want it because he thought it was a refurb. The genius said that at the factory there is a Y Where some phones go to retail boxes and some go to replacement phones. I tend to believe that. When did they have time to refurb the phones last week when it has been out for only a week???

Either way, they wouldn't give me a replacement cause my wifi worked at the apple store. Just not at home where I frackin NEED it.

8. Philly10 thread starter macrumors newbie

If they are indeed new, then how come when I looked up when and where my replacement phone was built according to serial number, the phone originally had a MD model number at factory. Yet, the phone now has a ND model number?? The model number was changed at some point after leaving the factory. Work has been done on these ND models, otherwise the model numbers would not be changed

9. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Good question, I was about to post about the same thing. I had my 32 black replaced because of 3 nicks and I also got a ND295LL model. If this is a refurb, I'm returning it for a new one. When you open a new box and the phone is damaged from the factory, the replacement should be a new phone. The only reason I accepted it was because I was travelling, and from what they told me it was all they had, and the replacement has a small scratch also.

I'm home now and going to the Apple store tomorrow for an explanation and replacement.

10. Philly10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please keep us posted on what you find out. They will most likely tell you they are all new at this stage. As I understand it, once you accept the replacement, you are stick with it and cannot swap if for brand new.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I am going to give them a call a little later and I will keep you updated

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't think Apple has already refurbs available. Replacement iPhones probably have a different serial number, but that doesn't have to mean they are refurbished.

13. Philly10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah cause when they ship from factory, they have MD model number and it now has ND model number. Why would apple change the model number after it left factory???

14. EltonT macrumors member

EltonT

They probably had a fresh batch made for replacements only and since they'll definitely be replacements, they were probably manufactured with an ND model number.

15. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Don't you just hate it when they debunk your wifi issue at their store with their T1 line vs a home cable/DSL connection? Makes me question their "genius" title.

16. sup007 macrumors newbie

From what the apple CS had explained to me, those ND model went thru the assembly line twice. Therefore, I assume they didn't pass QC the first time around, and have to went back into the assembly line to get reworked.